3T Strada aero road bike is made for wide tires and 1×12 drivetrains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KarlC

by KarlC

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

morganb

by morganb

Kind of looks like a Rose X-Lite CW with the seat angle looking like (not actual) it is almost 90 and the super aggressive cutout. Shame about the cable routing, maybe will refine for production?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kumppa

by Kumppa

I dont get whats the point using 1x12 on road bike. No weight save with huge cassette and need make compromises with gear ratio. Also ugly seat tube shape.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

This looks like a room of non cyclist grabbed a bike mag and started stealing ideas from different sections - looks idiotic. I am waiting for the version with 10mm of damped travel at either end, an aero baggage shelf, a sprung brooks saddle and a bayonet fork.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

I can't say it immediately appeals to me, but I am trying to avoid a knee jerk reaction (as someone who lived through the era when 19mm tires at 120psi reigned supreme and wider / lower was scoffed at). Curious to know if performance oriented as well as "comfort" (rider fatigue) data is available for each of the decisions that were made for this bike.

RyanH

by RyanH

This wider tire thing is baffling to me because while it makes sense on paper, . I can't remember if it was on here or at the Paceline, but the consensus was that 25mm tubulars was about ideal for handling and feel and many, including myself, found 27mm tires to be a bit vague. I nearly specc'd out an Eriksen with clearance for 35s and plans to run 32s most of the time until I actually tried it on the Caadx, I didn't like it at all. I felt disconnected.

Is this a clincher thing or taking advantage of people that believe bigger = better? Is anyone actually running ~30mm and prefer the feel?

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Kumppa wrote:I dont get whats the point using 1x12 on road bike. No weight save with huge cassette and need make compromises with gear ratio. Also ugly seat tube shape.

If you can get the same (or close) range with a 1x set up and also get the (claimed) aero benefits of removing the front derailleur then it really seems like a no-brainer.

Love this bike btw. My only complaint is the cable routing behind the stem, personally don't like the way it looks, but one of those cables can be fixed with an electronic group.

romalor

by romalor

RyanH wrote:This wider tire thing is baffling to me because while it makes sense on paper, . I can't remember if it was on here or at the Paceline, but the consensus was that 25mm tubulars was about ideal for handling and feel and many, including myself, found 27mm tires to be a bit vague. I nearly specc'd out an Eriksen with clearance for 35s and plans to run 32s most of the time until I actually tried it on the Caadx, I didn't like it at all. I felt disconnected.

Is this a clincher thing or taking advantage of people that believe bigger = better? Is anyone actually running ~30mm and prefer the feel?

This is a clincher/tubeless thing
Not the same for tubular
The tubular ridable on road racing ( not the graphene speed then) with good rolling resistance are non existent except the continental pro team limited with latex inner tubs . And tubular don't benefit as much as clincher when on a super wide rim, they don't get rounder and a little bit larger ;

27 mm tubulars are designed for Paved classics so yes they are a bit vague on nice and clean roads

fa63

by fa63

RyanH wrote:Is this a clincher thing or taking advantage of people that believe bigger = better? Is anyone actually running ~30mm and prefer the feel?

I run Schwalbe One 28s on 18 mm internal width rims, and they measure about 30 mm in real life. I prefer the handling over Schwalbe One 23s, which measure just over 25 mm.

That said, I am heavy for a cyclist (225 lbs). I think 25s are probably a good compromise between speed and comfort for most cyclists, who are lighter than me.

djgarrett21

by djgarrett21

I have no problem running 28c tires on my cross bike which is a 1X11. I've switched out the chain ring for a 48t and have an 11/36 cassette. Gear range is virtually the same as my road bike with a compact crankset. The steps between gears takes a bit getting used to but after a few months I've been just fine, the steps between gears is a non-issue. I guess a bike like this is right up my alley.

eric01

by eric01

I applaud them for trying something new and different. Otherwise you basically have a cervelo S5... which, well is already out there. I personally wouldn't buy it, but its interesting. Would like to see the aero wind tunnel numbers.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Marin

by Marin

I built my Heretic allroad bikes with long drop calipers and 35mm clearance, but I usually run 28mm tires so I can retain the "road bike" feel but still ride typical Austrian gravel roads.

I'm a fan of 1x, and I'd love to see a lightweight 10-34 cassette. I'm running 1x on the Allroad with 42/10-42, and now on the TT with a 46/11-30. With a better choice of cassettes and a 9 or 10t smallest cog, I don't see the need for a front derailleur anymore. I also don't see the need for 12s though.

If people gave up the need for ridiculously long gears (fastest used to be 53/13, which is slower than 46/11) then 1x would be an even easier choice for most.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

eric01 wrote:I applaud them for trying something new and different. Otherwise you basically have a cervelo S5... which, well is already out there. I personally wouldn't buy it, but its interesting. Would like to see the aero wind tunnel numbers.

Although, as this was designed by Gerard Vroomen, this basically IS a Cervelo S5, but with a single ring up front. Same frame shapes with some refinements.

3T have been going down the 'different' route for a while now as they don't see the value in just putting out the 'same' products as everyone else. They are trying to create new market segments with this bike and the Exploro.

I'm sure it will divide opinion but will certainly appeal to some people. Great bike if you live in a flatter area or want to race on the flat (assuming you can run rim brakes and use a smaller cassette).
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

romalor wrote:And tubular don't benefit as much as clincher when on a super wide rim, they don't get rounder and a little bit larger

Clinchers don't get "rounder" no matter what rim width you use. This is a common misperception; maybe it comes from people thinking of their car and (some) motorcycle tires, which are designed with casings stiff enough to force a non-round cross section. But those tires' construction is radically different from that of bicycle tires. For one, they're almost all radials, while all modern bike tires use bias-ply construction (even Maxxis' Radiale).

All bicycle tire casings (clinchers and tubulars alike) assume a circular cross-section (with a constant radius) when inflated. High-quality bike tires are pressure vessels with extraordinarily supple (flexible) walls. They're all round; their inflation pressure forces them to be round. On a clincher, changing the rim width changes the radius of the casing arc, but it doesn't change whether it's circular.

Some people wax poetic about "round" vs. "lightbulb-shaped" tires, but both kinds of tires have round cross-section casings. Road tire designers can alter the shape of the tread rubber a tiny bit by playing with its thickness, but the underlying casing is round.

Mountain bike treads can have a non-round cross section even though the underlying casing is round. In extreme cases (e.g. A 2.1-inch tire on a 40 mm-internal-width rim) the casing can assume an arc that puts the cornering knobs in the "wrong" place, but again, the underlying casing is still round (it has a constant radius across its section).

I believe some of the old Schwinn "krate" kids' bikes from the '70s came with "drag tires," which were old-style clinchers with enough rubber at the edges of the tread to create a squared-off profile when inflated. But these are hardly comparable to modern racing tires.

wingguy

by wingguy

Pokerface07 wrote:[Although, as this was designed by Gerard Vroomen, this basically IS a Cervelo S5, but with a single ring up front. Same frame shapes with some refinements.

Did you... um... did you look at any of the photos? :noidea:

You might as well say the new Tarmac is the same as an Evo because they were both designed by Denk!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com