3T Strada aero road bike is made for wide tires and 1×12 drivetrains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

winkybiker

by winkybiker

I don't know about this bike. The benefits of 1X in this execution and application seem minimal-to-non-existent when one compares it to a completely fuss-free Di2 2X set-up. Weight? Worse. Gear range? Worse. Spacing between ratios? Worse. Risk of chain drop? Same, perhaps worse. Use of weird 9-tooth sprockets. Lowest gear uses all available chain so minimum gear-train smoothness and maximum friction. I wonder if it will feel like being x-chained in the big ring-big sprocket configuration. Aero? Sure, an aero frame, but the missing FD and ring must surely be a trivial thing. Show me the numbers.

The tyre clearance seems a hot mess. The disconnect between marketing and engineering on this seems bizarre. The bikes were shod with tyres that rubbed at the launch event? WTF.

Marketing: "You can use these big tyres! Yay!"
Engineering: "Errr. No you can't. Sorry."

Sram hydro levers should be killed with fire. That the brakes need to be absolutely perfect to not rub is just another nail in the coffin.

And the ugly, it burns.

That bike is so far down the list of race bikes I'd consider that it doesn't even feature.

romalor

by romalor

Still waiting for a response from @SuperDave :-) Embarrassing questions ?

I might be wrong but don't expect 3T to offer a lot of paint job , like on the exploro it will be very limited .
And I can understand it , it a relative small brand etc in frame business for now
Maybe go the custom paint option with '' ready to paint '' frame like open do ?
Otherwise will a custom paint cancel the warranty ?

@Super Dave
About your 9-32 cassettes
What is your point of view on the less good efficiency of smaller cog 9 teeth ? and premature wear ?
Serious question as I already can feel the difference on my mtb with 10 vs 11 , and it's not as good when used with mud .

Is a new line of 3T wheel coming ? Something like the enve AR 4.5 designed for aero with 28 mm 30 mm nominative width tires ?
Or like the token roubx wheels ? Aka 25 mm inside width 29 30 mm outside about ? You need also super wide rims to use wide tires and stay aero. From the datas I read from enve

Cause last time I checked your 28'' carbon disc wheels weren't that wide nor tubeless ready ... Only 25 mm external wide
And only discus c35 ltd was compatible with XD body
so I guess XDR not compatible also for the other wheels...

Regards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Well just saw on of these out in the wild. I think it looks fine in person. It looks like a bike for the most part once it's in motion with a human on top of it. Since it was nearing the end of my ride, I just chilled with the guy (Bill) for a bit. We talked about disc brakes, which trainers to get for Zwift, the local group rides, the weight of his bike, etc. Just north of 18lbs, a bit heavier than I would have imagined.

Succisa75

by Succisa75

TobinHatesYou wrote:Well just saw on of these out in the wild. I think it looks fine in person. It looks like a bike for the most part once it's in motion with a human on top of it. Since it was nearing the end of my ride, I just chilled with the guy (Bill) for a bit. We talked about disc brakes, which trainers to get for Zwift, the local group rides, the weight of his bike, etc. Just north of 18lbs, a bit heavier than I would have imagined.

That’s the thing, many people are commenting without having ridden one or seeing it in person. Having rode one for a few weeks as my primary bike I can say that a lot of these reservations would be answered if and when riders get on the bike and see.

For me the (front chainring) and crank arm length were not my optimal sizing, but the overall feel of the bike was a positive one.

As far as looks go, I had a lot of comments (positive) from other riders on the road because it is so different.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

wheelsONfire wrote:SuperDave, price for LTD, that is a good question.
I think i depends on what status the bike get.
I imagine it'll to be a small crowd (niche) potential buyers, if the price between standard and ltd version is really high.
There is no premium 1*11 groupsets as far as i see.
It seems Sram Force 1 is about the closest premium choice. I am not sure that would suffice on a bike with super light frame, wheels aso.

But i don't really like to speculate.

Force is not the only option. I've got Dura-Ace R9170 with an XTR rear derailleur and THM crankset on my STRADA; that's suitable kit for an LTD level frame I reckon.

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

romalor wrote:Still waiting for a response from @SuperDave :-) Embarrassing questions ?

I might be wrong but don't expect 3T to offer a lot of paint job , like on the exploro it will be very limited .
And I can understand it , it a relative small brand etc in frame business for now
Maybe go the custom paint option with '' ready to paint '' frame like open do ?
Otherwise will a custom paint cancel the warranty ?

@Super Dave
About your 9-32 cassettes
What is your point of view on the less good efficiency of smaller cog 9 teeth ? and premature wear ?
Serious question as I already can feel the difference on my mtb with 10 vs 11 , and it's not as good when used with mud .

Is a new line of 3T wheel coming ? Something like the enve AR 4.5 designed for aero with 28 mm 30 mm nominative width tires ?
Or like the token roubx wheels ? Aka 25 mm inside width 29 30 mm outside about ? You need also super wide rims to use wide tires and stay aero. From the datas I read from enve

Cause last time I checked your 28'' carbon disc wheels weren't that wide nor tubeless ready ... Only 25 mm external wide
And only discus c35 ltd was compatible with XD body
so I guess XDR not compatible also for the other wheels...

Regards

The 9t has more drag than a 16t, sure. There's also less aerodynamic drag with a 40T x 9t than a 53T x 12t. And much less with a 40T x 9t than a 53T x 12 with a 39T inner chainring just hanging on the inside of a crankset with a front derailleur not doing anything.
So the effect of the 9t cog is the most dramatic when you are going slow and the aero benefit is small; yet when you are going slow you're less likely to be in the 9t cog. This is a similar situation with the low rolling resistance of wider (28mm) tires. The benefit is negated at high race speeds, so 21-23mm remain the first choice for time trials even though the Crr is much higher for tires this width.

The 3T Discus wheels are ideal for 25mm tires, the penalty for 23mm tires is similar to that using 28mm tires.

All 3T wheels are compatible with the XD and XD-R freehub EXCEPT the TT rim brake disc wheel (not disc brake).

Please don't be such a troll. There are no embarrassing answers; I browse the forum when free time allows.

-SD

romalor

by romalor

that's not what your website says about 3T wheels ...
https://www.3tcycling.com/road/en/bike-components/road-wheels/discus-c60-ltd/
Time to update I guess :welcome:

Discodan

by Discodan

Interesting review in

road.cc/content/review/232626-3t-strada-frameset

running 28mm tyres measuring 31mm and no problems in a month of riding. The reviewer certainly seems to like it

jlok

by jlok

now the only thing missing is 1x12 eTap.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Marin

by Marin

I wonder why everyone - Vroomen included - is insisting you need a clutch derailleur for the road. I'm riding 1x on 3 road bikes, and only the Allroad / Gravel bike has a clutch. I've never dropped a chain on any of the 3.

Just remove the front derailleur, put on a narrow/wide ring, shorten the chain & you're set. You also save about 100g in weight with a regular derailleur.

BTW, the only reason I'm running a Sram Force 1 derailleur on the do-it-all bike is not the clutch, but the fact that it's the only option to shift a 10-42 cassette.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

I wonder why everyone - Vroomen included - is insisting you need a clutch derailleur for the road.

Because the burden of all the idiots/not quite perfect set ups out there rests on their recommendations, no one likes busting their nuts/knees on a stem.

Marin

by Marin

Maybe. Still, in my experience, you're MUCH more likely to drop a chain *with* a front derailleur.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Quite likely true, but people already know that’s a possibility and the chain is unlikely to fall off outside the chain ring like it could on a 1x set up. End of the day you’ve got to cater for the worst case when you’re selling something.

Marin

by Marin

The worst case is that a car hits you though, or the rider in front of you crashes :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com