3T Strada aero road bike is made for wide tires and 1×12 drivetrains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

glam2deaf wrote:I don't think anyone is saying they are identical, however there is a similar appearance and vibe.

People are saying "it basically is an S5".

To which I say again, look past the sloping top tube and tell me any part of it that has a shared design with the S5. Chainstays? Totally different. Seatstays? Totally different. Seattube? Totally different. BB? Literally opposite ends of the spectrum. Downtube? Well they're both aero, but the shapes are different. Fork? Something completely new.

I'll grant you that the front half of the silhouette has some superficial similarities, but looking at the actual bikes they're not even skin deep.

AZR3

by AZR3

I could see the Strava as the "evolved" version of the S5. It takes the aero elements of the S5 and takes them to a more extreme state

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

wingguy wrote:People are saying "it basically is an S5".

Yeah If you compare it to the new S5 then they're getting really different. It's absolutely not a S5.

It's hard to put into words, vibe was the best way I can. It seems like the older s5 taken to the next level. I didn't follow the cycling press as closely back then, but I'm assuming that when it was released the S5 pushed the limits of the day.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Not adding much to the conversation here, just a note that it's fun seeing 3T roll out some unique products that do seem to hit the bleeding edge of what's coming in the future in new standards. They certainly have a large enough "normal" product line to suit the masses. I just hope they manage to have a demo day in my neck of the woods at some point.

Of all the aspects of this bike though wide wheels and tires and 1x really intrigue me.

Anecdotal but I raced collegiate years ago with an acquaintance who co owns Boo Bicycles. He used to run a 1x setup rather well and swore by it. He managed to make it work at a pretty high level. Fun to see it come full circle.
Just ride ..

romalor

by romalor

1X12 man

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

I'm confused. Read into a disc brake thread and people will tell me that 0,5kg of additional weight are absolutely negligible. Now I am told that 0,1kg of weight savings by a 1x drivetrain with clutch rear derailleur is the next big thing...

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

glam2deaf wrote:Image

I don't think anyone is saying they are identical, however there is a similar appearance and vibe.

I think if you compare to the Gen 1 S5, they appear a bit more similar.

Given the designer of both, you can start to see his influence even if they are different bikes.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

1 x "everything" sounds good to me.

wingguy

by wingguy

Pokerface07 wrote:I think if you compare to the Gen 1 S5, they appear a bit more similar.

Given the designer of both, you can start to see his influence even if they are different bikes.

Yeah, more similar because of the taller HT. Literally only that. :lol:

Again I ask, in what other way apart from cable routing and the sloping TT do you make out that it IS an S5? :noidea:

AZR3

by AZR3

Pokerface07 wrote:
glam2deaf wrote:Image

I don't think anyone is saying they are identical, however there is a similar appearance and vibe.

I think if you compare to the Gen 1 S5, they appear a bit more similar.

Those are the same gen S5, just different sizes and paint

morganb

by morganb

http://granfondo-cycling.com/brand-new-3t-strada-their-new-aero-road-bike/

$3800 for frame/fork/headset/seatpost. Considering the price for aero road framesets for the bigger brands not as high as I was expecting. Ridiculously slack seat angle disappointing. That puts it in the possibly unrideable category for me as I run very little setback and am all the way forward on 74 deg SA bikes with a 0 setback post.

fa63

by fa63

$3800?

That is a lot of money. $800 more than the Exploro frameset. Looks like they are trying to test how many wealthy suckers are out there :)

baldy

by baldy

Still not getting the application of this. 1 x 12- I was about from 5 to 6 sprockets on a freewheel. Back to 12 speed then. I often can't find the right gear from 22. The gaps between sprockets cannot compare with a normal set up so to me seem too much to deal with for normal riders like me. The only use for a single front ring is tting on a flat course or crit with minimal gaps between gears. Seems like a trend I will never need/follow. More marketing to get people to shell out cash for the emperors new clothes....Oh and I think the bike looks awful.

fa63

by fa63

baldy wrote:The only use for a single front ring is tting on a flat course or crit with minimal gaps between gears.

It would be kind of cool to have a 48-tooth chainring up front with a straight 11-21 cassette (with 1-tooth jumps) in the back for a flat race :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Look at the tyre clearance with 28 mm (I supose so) Conti 4000s. There is tight, and too tight :shock: 1mm max from the online pics :?