3T Strada aero road bike is made for wide tires and 1×12 drivetrains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

morganb wrote:http://granfondo-cycling.com/brand-new-3t-strada-their-new-aero-road-bike/

$3800 for frame/fork/headset/seatpost. Considering the price for aero road framesets for the bigger brands not as high as I was expecting. Ridiculously slack seat angle disappointing. That puts it in the possibly unrideable category for me as I run very little setback and am all the way forward on 74 deg SA bikes with a 0 setback post.

As the seatpost height is raised the effective seat angle gets steeper as the seat post comes out of the frame at 80+ degrees. Depending on your frame size you may find the effective seat angle to be 74+. I'm on a Large frame at the moment because that's what we finished first and my effective seat angle with an 812mm saddle height is 73.8mm measured through the center of the saddle on the rear position of the Zero25 seatpost head.

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

fa63 wrote:$3800?

That is a lot of money. $800 more than the Exploro frameset. Looks like they are trying to test how many wealthy suckers are out there :)

The 950g EXPLORO with 400g fork is $4200.
The 970g STRADA with 390g fork is $3800.

Other than the name on the downtube the frames are really dissimilar from an appeal, production and development standpoint.

-SD

AZR3

by AZR3

So when do we get to see this 3T cassette and is it a 12spd unit by chance?

Marin

by Marin

They're using an ethirteen 11s MTB cassette, probably the 9-44t version.

This page has pics: http://www.bikehugger.com/posts/3t-strada-details/

Marin

by Marin

My 2c: If the wider tires focus is all about comfort, it's a big mistake ("massive fail") to use GP4000s 28mm tires.

In my - and others' - experience, 23mm Veloflex are MUCH more comfortable than 28 GP4k at any pressure.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Marin wrote:My 2c: If the wider tires focus is all about comfort, it's a big mistake ("massive fail") to use GP4000s 28mm tires.

In my - and others' - experience, 23mm Veloflex are MUCH more comfortable than 28 GP4k at any pressure.

Conti for Comfort and lower rolling resistance and higher grip.
I wish Veloflex would make a 27-30mm tire, too.

-SD

Marin

by Marin

SuperDave wrote:Conti for Comfort

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Challenge Strada Bianca would be the 30mm Veloflex equivalent

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Marin wrote:My 2c: If the wider tires focus is all about comfort, it's a big mistake ("massive fail") to use GP4000s 28mm tires.

+1
I happen to ride on GP4000s 28mm tires on modern wide rim. They measure ~31mm wide. I run them at 60 PSI front and back and they feel harsher next to my Veloflex 25mm at 95 PSI.
Another option is Specialized Turbo Cotton 28mm http://www.specialized.com/us/en/equipm ... ton/133458
From what I read, Challenge Strada Bianca 30mm is fragile tire with poor reviews.

Thumbs down to 3T for showing this to potential buyers and stating that it's made for wide tires!

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Marin

by Marin

Keep in mind the 28mm GP4000s II on wide rims will be 32mm wide and quite tall, so with a true 30mm tire (i.e. a Conti "25mm" on a 21c rim) you'll get more space.

This does look a bit tight though, I guess the fork won't provide a lot of flex:

Still I a pretty cool bike though, I'd be interested if there was a rim brake version :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I like this bike alot as I ride 150+ miles fairly often 25mm tyres just dont do it for me any more. 25mm conti tubulars make my hands go numb. There are plusher tubs I know but they are also more fragile. tubeless is the answer for me and my long rides are now done on wide tubeless tyres.

So this could be my next road bike. BTW I have been on 1x for my road race bike all year. 52T with 12-27T is what at it got me round the strada bianchi course. I will be changing that to an 11-34T soon enough when that campag cassette wears out. 1x works just fine but I need to alter the chainline to reduce noise.

Now which of the old dinosaurs will make may way for something like this. If BC would allow disc brakes for racing I'd sell the Look.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Marin wrote:

I have a set of the Challenge SB.
Can you point to any data that suggests a 28mm GP4000 @ 80psi is somehow less compliant than the Veloflex 23mm at ???psi?

-Dave

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Can it accommodate two bottles?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

jorisee01 wrote:Can it accommodate two bottles?

Yes, there are 3 positions on the frame for water bottle placement. One position is optimized for maximum aero advantage with one bottle or one aero bottle (fastest). The other mounts allow two bottles to be fixed; one on the DT and one on the ST.

-SD

Marin

by Marin

SuperDave wrote:
Marin wrote:

Can you point to any data that suggests a 28mm GP4000 @ 80psi is somehow less compliant than the Veloflex 23mm at ???psi?

-Dave

Unfortunately there is no "compliance" data, like there was no freely accessible rolling resistance data just a few years ago. Same with frame stiffness etc.

I've been tempted to see if I can measure it myself, give that there are pretty accurate accelerometers built into every mobile phone these days, but haven't gotten around to it.

However, it's jarringly obvious if you do the comparison yourself, and most people who do it will agree.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

SuperDave wrote:
Marin wrote:

-Dave

Dave, have anyone of you riding the this bike, had any issues with tire picking up grit, sanding off paint where tire meets fork, or at the tight fit seat tube?
I ride an 11-36 Sram PG-1170 on a 2*11 drivetrain (46/34). But i am missing some cogs i must admit. Only when i ride the 46T chainring.
If you aim to use a 12 speed cassette, what shifters do you use?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com