3T Strada aero road bike is made for wide tires and 1×12 drivetrains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

They’re not running 1x12.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

tanhalt wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
Marin wrote:That's pretty cool actually.

If they made the Strada with rim brakes and 3mm more clearance I'd consider buying one :D

What brake calipers would you use for those 33mm tires?

-SD

It's not like medium and standard reach calipers have never existed, right? :wink:

The Strada has an effective tire clearance of 28mm. The Conti 28mm (which are 30mm tires in reality) were heavily rubbing the frames at the launch event. So, 3mm additional tire clearance would make the bike fit for 31mm tires. Those can be cleared by standard direct mount rim brakes. :wink:
thumper88 wrote:
itsacarr wrote:https://www.aquabluesport.com/blog/aqua-blue-sport-team-up-with-3t-for-2018.html

This should be interesting.

Yeah, I had the same question the writer was left with, going to be interesting what ring sizes they pick. No doubt it will change a lot to suit terrain...

They'll be on a 44 most of the time combined with the new 3T bailout 9-32 cassette. This is pretty much exactly the same gear range as 53-39/11-28.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Lieblingsleguan wrote:They'll be on a 44 most of the time combined with the new 3T bailout 9-32 cassette. This is pretty much exactly the same gear range as 53-39/11-28.

It'll be interesting when they need a rear spare - when they're getting an 11-28 they'll run out of gears on the first slight downhill.

andrey

by andrey

I've just tried to push a gear at long 10% accent with 70 rpm cadence without usage of FD. I can not imagine how to quickly shift up/down rear derailleur by 2-3 cogs for in/out saddle position each minute of a climbing

thePrince

by thePrince

TobinHatesYou wrote:They’re not running 1x12.

They might not be running 1x12 today, because SRAM doesn't have a road 1x12...yet. Seems like a logical way to introduce 1x12 to the road.

Unless you have some inside information that by next season they will still be on 1x11.

Marin

by Marin

SRAM has already published the specs for their XRD freehub designed specifically for *road* 12x: http://www.xddriverbody.com/90-2415-189 ... LEASED.pdf

From here: http://www.xddriverbody.com/apply.php

MTB 12x is already possible on standard XD

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Just as an inside to folks regarding the neutral support issue - it's not really an issue at x.1 \ protour events as they will always have 2 support cars + roving soigneurs. Beyond that, neutral support cars historically spend more time giving out water bottles to d2\protour teams than wheels.

I love my tradition as much as the next, but again I'm just happy to see something unique in regards to development in the industry. At this point I guess we will just have to wait and see where it goes.
Just ride ..

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

tanhalt wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
If they made the Strada with rim brakes and 3mm more clearance I'd consider buying one :D

-SD

It's not like medium and standard reach calipers have never existed, right? :wink:

Yes, I used them for the Paris-Roubaix specific frames developed for World Tour teams in my previous life. Having had the joys of working with such oddities as non-series Tiagra level non-inventoried items I'll stick with the disc brake route.

-SD

tanhalt

by tanhalt

SuperDave wrote:
tanhalt wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

-SD

Yes, I used them for the Paris-Roubaix specific frames developed for World Tour teams in my previous life. Having had the joys of working with such oddities as non-series Tiagra level non-inventoried items I'll stick with the disc brake route.

-SD

But, using "non-standard" cassettes and freehub bodies doesn't bother you? Seems inconsistent :wink:

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

tanhalt wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
tanhalt wrote:
SuperDave wrote:What brake calipers would you use for those 33mm tires?
-SD

-SD

But, using "non-standard" cassettes and freehub bodies doesn't bother you? Seems inconsistent :wink:

It does bother me. I don't use the 9-32t personally. After spending a couple months on the bike the team riders, testers and nay-sayers requested some options for 1x that simply were not commercially available in a cassette so we saw an opportunity to produce them. The two 9-32t 11 speed options we make will eventually be outdated as 1 x 12t comes to the performance road market and along with it an abundant range of options for cassettes. Today there is really only 10-50T from SRAM and 9-48t from an obscure aftermarket brand. Those two options are not ideal for road use. Once 12 speed cassettes are made with the options consumers need we won't need the 11 speed Overdrive and Bailout 9-32t option.

I'm personally happy with an 11-40t with a 52t up front for the roads I spend most of my time on. For flat race days I swap an 11-25t on the wheel. For BWR I'll likely change to an 11-46t out back. The production STRADA will be outfitted with a 50t up front and 11-36t in the back (biggest gear is bigger than 54T x 12t, smallest gear is smaller than 39T x 28t) which should be adequate for much of the consumer base looking for a 1x road bike.

Marin

by Marin

SuperDave wrote: The production STRADA will be outfitted with a 50t up front and 11-36t in the back

WTF? 3T doesn't trust their own product?

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Marin wrote:
SuperDave wrote: The production STRADA will be outfitted with a 50t up front and 11-36t in the back

WTF? 3T doesn't trust their own product?

I'm not sure why you'd draw that conclusion other than to be adversarial. The production of the bike kit is ahead of the production of the cassette by several months. Cooperation from SRAM during the development phase of a frame ~1 year ago required the selection of a complete Force 1x group. Requesting the purchase of SRAM parts for OEM production of a bicycle that didn't exist outside of the 3T knowledge base presented some challenges. For the last ~20 years 3T and SRAM's Zipp component brand have been competitors, now we're entering a new relationship. The cassettes will be used by the AquaBlue Sports team (when needed) and will be available to consumers in November.

Not sure if your question was rhetorical but there's ^^^ an incredibly condensed reply. If you'd like more information on the timelines for such an endeavor, the sourcing protocol for SRAM, the MOQ in terms of dollars required to enter into a OE relationship, the various revisions to our own cassette design and decision to offer two different 9-32t ranges and other contributing factors to the staggered release of the frame, the one complete parts kit option, and our cassette please let me know.

-SD

Marin

by Marin

Thanks for the detailed reply Dave, I'd actually love to learn more.

Btw I'm getting the Bailout cassette the moment it's available (if I can afford it) because it's just what I need for my multiple 1x bikes.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Marin wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply Dave, I'd actually love to learn more.
Btw I'm getting the Bailout cassette the moment it's available (if I can afford it) because it's just what I need for my multiple 1x bikes.

Ok.

When we began development of a component/kit option for our frames imagine a 3T employee asking a SRAM employee for a price list. How do you think SRAM would react in March 2016 to this request from 3T? A SRAM OE price list contains a wealth of confidential information including costing on handlebars, stems, seatposts, wheels and other parts that 3T also manufactures. It may also contain country of origin, bulk packaging quantities and other details that would allow 3T to position our products at a competitive advantage in an OE marketplace. 3T was not in a position to expose our intention of launching a frameset yet we needed SRAM parts to outfit the bikes. This is just one of the hurdles to initiating the acquisition of components be it SRAM or Shimano. Now today our intentions are clear to SRAM that we outfit our frames with their parts but if we sourced a component groupset without a cassette surely the question would be raised, "who's cassette are you using" and thus some dialogue would need to begin on 3T creating a competing product in the drivetrain category. So we continue to cooperate by buying complete groups from SRAM so they are ready for our frame launch. The lead time for frame production hovers around 120-150 days from PO to delivery and components are 90-120d. When the frame was ready for production we had just 30 days to finish the cassette design that was largely based on feedback from riding the frame! So you can understand that in order to be prepared for sales' needs we had to outfit the complete bicycle option with parts that were available 120 days ago. So we did that. It is also worth noting that in many areas of the planet the 9-32t is far more range (356%) than is required. In Florida, the Midwest, Texas, Dubai, Netherlands, etc riders have been using 1x on their performance bikes with 11-25,6,8, and 32t cassettes. Here the 227-290% range is adequate so the production bike can be set up and/or catered to a broad audience by keeping the 50T ring up front.

Ok, that's lesson 1. Come back later for 2 thru 50

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Where is the upvote / like / +1 button? This is great, SD.

Any hints on firmware update on existing eTap WiFLi RD so that it could support 12-speed XDR cassette? like 10-36...

I really wish there will be 10-11-12-13-14- 16-18 -21-24-28-32-36
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10