Sram Red brakes seem crummy

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

oldturd

by oldturd

I must be in the minority- I love the simplicity of using a 13mm to center my brakes once I've done my adjustments.

Mep

by Mep

madcow wrote:
Mep wrote:I fall in the camp of "managed to make it work" and have been satisfied. Have to say I've been intrigued by eebrake for a while. Is it really that much better?

Yes, they really are that much better. It's the only lightweight brake that has the performance of Campag or Shimano brakes.

Thanks, if you're vouching for it I'm gonna have to try it for sure now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Red to EE was chalk and cheese. Made a huge power improvement. And I love the aesthetics of them.

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

Just took my first ride with DA 9000 brakes on my Venge with eTap shifters. It's almost embarrassing how much better they are compared to the Aero Link brakes. I like SRAM a lot but hopefully the next round of brakes they put out is much much better than the aerolinks.
2018 Specialized S-Works Tarmac
SRAM Etap
ENVE 4.5

2018 Bianchi Infinito CV
SRAM Etap
ENVE Classics 45

2016 Cervelo P2
Ultegra 6800 Di2
ENVE 6.7

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

LOL. Great minds think alike !! I did the same....

The difference with DuraAce compared to my old SRAM RED is shocking. And YES, I did give my RED brakes a decent trial --- 10 months, mountains, flats, etc. Between my attempts to dial them in and the attempts of my LBS, they never really felt good to me. Out of the box, the DuraAce seems to have the stopping power of an F1 car, and plenty of great modulation and control.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

madcow wrote:
Mep wrote:I fall in the camp of "managed to make it work" and have been satisfied. Have to say I've been intrigued by eebrake for a while. Is it really that much better?

Yes, they really are that much better. It's the only lightweight brake that has the performance of Campag or Shimano brakes.
How do the DM EEs compre to 9100 callipers?
Using Tapatalk

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Just curious.

In all these comparisons (Red vs DA, Red vs EE, DA vs EE) what pads are you using and on what rims?

Presumably the same pads and rims for each test?

Or do you use the stock pads that came with each caliper?

Stueys

by Stueys

Nefarious86 wrote:
madcow wrote:

How do the DM EEs compre to 9100 callipers?

Be interested to hear more about EE compared to Shim

Tomdaws

by Tomdaws

I do prefer Shimano calipers, the direct mount ones are the best I've used. Sram Red always seem a bit too 'flimsy' in the way they float. I do find they stop very well, but as so often is the case its hard to do a direct comparison.

Alpine318is

by Alpine318is

Gearjunkie wrote:Just curious.

In all these comparisons (Red vs DA, Red vs EE, DA vs EE) what pads are you using and on what rims?

Presumably the same pads and rims for each test?

Or do you use the stock pads that came with each caliper?

Same rims, same pads, same bike, same route, same cables, same everything

The only difference was the brakes themselves.
2018 Specialized S-Works Tarmac
SRAM Etap
ENVE 4.5

2018 Bianchi Infinito CV
SRAM Etap
ENVE Classics 45

2016 Cervelo P2
Ultegra 6800 Di2
ENVE 6.7

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I like the Sram brakes a lot - just like the dual pivot Super Record on my other bike - and the Shimano on my other other bike.

The trick is to use a 2,5mm hex to center the brakes if they need to be centered after mounting on the bike. I use 2 different wheel sets on my Scott Foil and when I switch wheels the brake is not centered perfectly ( like 1 mm off center ) so I use the 2.5mm hex and turn on the left or right side of the caliper to get more tension on the spring. .... Yes guys there is the 2.5mm hex for :smartass: . And after that it's perfect again.

slowK

by slowK

Have 2 SRAM bikes. Force 22 brakes + levers on one bike - nothing to complain about, but not fantastic. "Upgraded" to Ultegra 6800 brakes on the other bike, which work just fine with Red levers. Braking is definitely superior (feels stronger, more direct) compared with Force 22. (Alloy rims on both bikes.)

More recently swapped to Swissstop BXP pads on both bikes, but can't honestly say that I really notice that much difference over the standard pads (but haven't ridden in pouring rain with the Swissstop pads yet). Maybe slightly better, but it could be placebo.