Di2 Wiring help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Pokerface07 wrote:

This will work.

Thanks for the confirmation. I did another dry-fit today to check the lengths of all the wires I have and figure out what lengths I need to make the above system work. I need to get 3 lengths of Di2 wire(150, 500, and 1000mm), the EW-WU111, (2) JC41 boxes, and the BT-DN110 battery.

The stumbling block I'm on now is running the wires from the aero bar extensions internal and through the whole that are in the mounting blocks for the arm pads. They're just a touch too small. It looks like they're about 5/32 and they need to be 1/4. I'm debating if I should take them to a machine shop or if I should cut the plug off the wire and reconnect. I've heard bad things about cutting/splicing Di2 wires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

update: All systems go... sort of.

After receiving all of the Di2 parts to convert the external 6870 setup to internal, I hooked everything up externally on the frame and it all worked as per my wiring diagram. I then dropped everything internal on Friday morning. I had a slight problem, with a loose battery wire, but got it all sorted and now everything works great. Here's a pic of the bike.

In this pic, there's no guts in the bike, but there is now. Now, I just need to do chain, brakes, pedals and a few more secret goodies. Thanks for all of the help guys.

I do have 1 issue though... I got the EW-WU111 and can't seem to get it to do anything. I tried connecting it via bluetooth to my phone but nothing was showing. I'm assuming it is because the rest of the 6870 components are using old firmware. I was hoping I'd be able to use the app to update everything, but I'm thinking that I'll need my LBS to connect via hard wire and update.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Re: EW-WU111 - can you actually recognise it? For instance, can you find it with your Garmin (assuming you have one)? Or have you got the e-wire software on a tablet/phone and gone through the pairing process?

Also, where did you end up putting the A-junction?
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Pokerface07 wrote:Re: EW-WU111 - can you actually recognise it? For instance, can you find it with your Garmin (assuming you have one)? Or have you got the e-wire software on a tablet/phone and gone through the pairing process?

I have not tried to recognize it with my Wahoo, perhaps I should try. I have the e-wire app on my phone and that's what I'm using to try and pair it. The app just spins the hourglass and picks up nothing. The Shimano instructions seem to be very sparse.

I mounted the A-junction undertake saddle, basically just under the nose between the rails. I tapped a small hole in the top of the seat post to run the wires.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Pokerface07 wrote:Re: EW-WU111 - can you actually recognise it? For instance, can you find it with your Garmin (assuming you have one)? Or have you got the e-wire software on a tablet/phone and gone through the pairing process?

I have not tried to recognize it with my Wahoo, perhaps I should try. I have the e-wire app on my phone and that's what I'm using to try and pair it. The app just spins the hourglass and picks up nothing. The Shimano instructions seem to be very sparse.

I mounted the A-junction undertake saddle, basically just under the nose between the rails. I tapped a small hole in the top of the seat post to run the wires.

Well - depending on were you hid the WU111 - it may not pick it up. If it's inside the frame, it **may struggle to connect.

**This will depend on the frame, the location of the unit, etc. As the Shiv is probably thick tubing, the signal may not be getting through.

First see if you can find it with your Wahoo unit, if not, perhaps pull it out of your frame and see if it pairs then. There are some threads on here if you search on the process to pair with the e-tube software. The other thing (I think) is sometimes it helps to 'activate' it by pressing the button on the A-junction for a couple of seconds while searching. (But not long enough to put it into adjustment mode).

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Pokerface07 wrote:
Well - depending on were you hid the WU111 - it may not pick it up. If it's inside the frame, it **may struggle to connect.

**This will depend on the frame, the location of the unit, etc. As the Shiv is probably thick tubing, the signal may not be getting through.

First see if you can find it with your Wahoo unit, if not, perhaps pull it out of your frame and see if it pairs then. There are some threads on here if you search on the process to pair with the e-tube software. The other thing (I think) is sometimes it helps to 'activate' it by pressing the button on the A-junction for a couple of seconds while searching. (But not long enough to put it into adjustment mode).

Actually, when I was trying to connect it via the phone, everything was still external of the frame. I have it mounted just inside the head tube, where the opening is to put all of the stuff in. I'll try and see if the wahoo picks it up.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Try pushing the A-junction button then when trying to connect.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

#boom... Success!

I was able to connect the Wahoo pretty easily and then the phone connected as well. The phone lost connection, not sure why, but then I tried my iPad and that worked flawlessly. I was able to update every component to the latest firmware and looked around in the app at the different settings as well.

One question? The normal wheel I'll probably use for training is 11-28, but the wheel I'll use for racing is 11-23. Do I have to go in to the app and switch this each time? Or is this really just important for the synchro-shift feature?

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

CrankAddictsRich wrote:#boom... Success!

I was able to connect the Wahoo pretty easily and then the phone connected as well. The phone lost connection, not sure why, but then I tried my iPad and that worked flawlessly. I was able to update every component to the latest firmware and looked around in the app at the different settings as well.

One question? The normal wheel I'll probably use for training is 11-28, but the wheel I'll use for racing is 11-23. Do I have to go in to the app and switch this each time? Or is this really just important for the synchro-shift feature?

Only for Syncro shift.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Just want to say thanks again for the help of the group... bike is basically all complete now. I rode it for the first time last Friday and while I still have some adjusting to do, it was definitely fast.

The Di2 setup is so sweet. Yesterday, I used the bluetooth d-fly to adjust some of the buttons. The left hand shifters seemed to move the chain in the opposite direction of what I expected. I also think the ability to see what gears I'm running, at what watts and speed will be valuable in the future.