Colnago C50 or ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nube

by nube

Hi guys.
Thinking of buying a older Colnago to rebuild.
Found this one but Iam not sure what kind of model it is. It says C50 one the bike but it has no diamond chainstay.
Is it fake or did they make C50 models like this?
Grateful if any one can help me find out when this model is from and information/ specs :)
Attachments
21_2020587570 copy.jpg
21_1092561369.jpg
Last edited by nube on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

AFAIK, early C50 didn't have the diamond gimmick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nube

by nube

I thought it was the C40 ho had the no diamond chainstay. But even that model got the hp chainstay in the latest model.

kidrob

by kidrob

Not exactly what asked for, but the Colnago V1-R Road (2017 Frameset) is on sale and pretty cheap atm on several (web) shops ;)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Never seen a C50 without the diamond cutout. As was said, even the late C40's had the diamond cutout. It was carried over to the C50. There was a slight revision where they gave the edges a more rounded, softer edge versus the more square edge, but as far as I know they always had the diamond cutout from Day 1. The rest looks pretty legit. Does it have any backstory? Have you asked the seller about it? That would be the first thing I did. Maybe there were a few made without it or even could have been a special request, but still legit.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nube

by nube

Calnago wrote:Never seen a C50 without the diamond cutout. As was said, even the late C40's had the diamond cutout. It was carried over to the C50. There was a slight revision where they gave the edges a more rounded, softer edge versus the more square edge, but as far as I know they always had the diamond cutout from Day 1. The rest looks pretty legit. Does it have any backstory? Have you asked the seller about it? That would be the first thing I did. Maybe there were a few made without it or even could have been a special request, but still legit.

I asked the seller, but he didn't know. He bought it used and is the second owner. But he believed it was from 2006 and that it was a "sprint" model with a lower top tube (c-c 53cm) and a shorter hedtub than the standard C50 . The Seat tube is 51cm. He also mentioned something about they made some special for the proriders.
I can't find this model any wear, so I don't know if it a good bike or not.
It looks a little bit like the extreme- c but with thiner chainstay .

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I actually thought it might be the Extreme C, but that would most certainly not be the "sprinters" model. It actually has a weight limit on it if I believe 180lbs or something. Who knows what it is. If it's custom I'd want to know a whole lot more about its specific geometry and whether it would work for you or not. Sounds a bit suspect... second owner "not knowing anything about it" and all. At one point when he was buying it you'd think maybe he had the same type of questions.
Also, two measurements that are pretty easy to verify is 1) the distance from the center of the BB to the where the seat collar "starts". Basically about a centimeter from the very top of the seat tube. This will always be the nominal "size" of the frame and what Colnago publishes as the size. The other is headtube length. If you had those you could at least start verifying some measurements with the standard geo chart to figure out if it's a custom geometry or not. If it's custom, I'd pass. Colnago's standard geometries are very good and refined after years of trial and error and feedback. I'd stick with the tried and true.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

KarlC

by KarlC

Calnago wrote: If it's custom, I'd pass. Colnago's standard geometries are very good and refined after years of trial and error and feedback. I'd stick with the tried and true.

Funny, if its real and custom Id be more inclined to buy it, I like different.

I never liked the diamond cutouts anyhow.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha. Yeah, the diamond cutout chainstays aren't my favorite either. But a custom geometry better be custom "for me" and not someone else.

AJS914

by AJS914

Could it be a repainted C40?

micky

by micky

Does it has the stickers near the FD?
Send the picture of the bike with bike code on the seatstays to Colnago directly to doublecheck.
They answer quickly.

kgt

by kgt

All C50s had hp chainstays with diamond cutouts.

mrd

by mrd

Last edited by mrd on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

nube

by nube

mrd wrote:[imghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxmwHfcvj670SmhveXdBYnM3bkk/view?usp=sharing[/img]

Looks very much like my Extreme Power

Cant see the pic, but I thougt the chainstays on the EP was beefier than the bike I posted?
And why put C50 on a EP ?

nube

by nube

AJS914 wrote:Could it be a repainted C40?

The chainstays look weary much the same but why bother to repaint a C40 ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com