Colnago C50 or ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrd

by mrd

Frame not quite the same around chain stays on either my Extreme Power or Extreme C

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Weird! It seems like a custom made C50 with early type C40 chainstays, not the Extreme C bayleaf chainstays. Please post if you find any additional info on this frame!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Maybe the frame was damaged and the stays needed to be replaced? I've heard of lugged Colnagos having entire tubes replaced after accidents. In any case I agree with micky - email the serial number to the factory and they should be able to verify size, original colour, date of manufacture, country of sale etc.

kgt

by kgt

Mockenrue wrote:Maybe the frame was damaged and the stays needed to be replaced?

That's something that had also crossed my mind but why Colnago would not put the original C50 hp stays?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

True but it's possible that it could've been repaired by someone else perhaps? A long shot but you never know.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Or maybe simply someone who didn't like the HP stays and was able to custom order a C50 with the pre-HP C40 chainstays.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'll add that it does indeed look legit, but I'd want to know a little more about it, specifically the exact geometry if it's custom. And I do always like to know the story behind how things got to be where they are. I really never was able to get the story behind the PR99 paint on my C60, and I've never seen another one since. Maybe Alessandro thinks that's an "old school" paint scheme and is trying to modernize things. If that's the case, it's a mistake, me thinks. Those paint schemes are still some of the most desirable they've ever done in my opinion.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

nube wrote:
AJS914 wrote:Could it be a repainted C40?

The chainstays look weary much the same but why bother to repaint a C40 ?

Because someone has a C40 that needs a repaint and they get the idea to throw C50 stickers on it to increase the value. Just a theory. I think it's more likely than a repair involving integrating a C40 rear end.

Are you seeing this bike in person or it's just an add on the internet? I'd be extremely cautious and it would have to be really cheap unless the seller had documentation on it's origin.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

A C40 repainted to make it "look" like a C50 would cheapen it, not increase its value. A C40 has enough value on it's own. People who are looking for one generally know what they are looking for. Seeing a C40 painted with "C50" on it would make me vomit.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

JKolmo

by JKolmo

As far as I can see it has C50 shaped tubes and those later generation C50 short lugs. So I think we can write off the repainted C40 track. I still vote for a late series C50 with custom C40 chainstays.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That'd probably be my guess as well. Somewhere along the way, maybe even during the initial build by special request, the diamond chainstays were either never used or changed to these. I could see that. If I had the option at the time, I'd have gone for the non-diamond chainstays on my C50.

AJS914

by AJS914

If one has a serial number, will Colnago confirm the specs of a frame?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Yes; they have done so numerous times for me when looking to buy a preowned frame.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Never mind.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com