Bont Vaypor+ and Look Keo issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

girona

by girona

Was wondering if anyone else is having issues with Keo cleats on Bonts? I have both Keo Max 2 pedals as well as Keo Blade Carbon. Never had problems with other shoes. I recently purchased some Bont Vaypor+ shoes and have found I was get really bad squeeking coming from the cleat rub against the pedal. There is a lot of play, and some vertical movement going on. Basically the pedal is not holding the cleat nice and tight like it should. I have tried all sorts for Keo cleats: grey, red, grip, no grip, as well as Exustar cleats, but all have them same issues. I am guessing the Bont sole is not matching perfectly with the cleat, and the cleat is getting deformed when I tighten them.

Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions on a fix besides buying another brand pedal??

Thanks for any help you might have!

sungod

by sungod

fwiw i had a problem fitting speedplay zero to bont riot 2017 (vaypor s was fine)

the curve on the riot's didn't match any of the zero shims, but i had some aero shims and found a 'mix' with the zero shims would match the plate to the sole

if it's a similar issue you should be able to see any gap between cleat and sole (before tightening), if it isn't matching try using some thin hard plastic or metal from drink can to make a shim to match it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Yeah, you have to shim it with some type of material. I ride Xperesso's but had similar issues. The sole doesn't have the necessary curvature like Sidi for example which was plug and play. Ended up using some bartape material to shim the center of the cleat to get the right arc. It's not perfect but functions now as it should.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

girona wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:12 pm
Was wondering if anyone else is having issues with Keo cleats on Bonts? I have both Keo Max 2 pedals as well as Keo Blade Carbon. Never had problems with other shoes. I recently purchased some Bont Vaypor+ shoes and have found I was get really bad squeeking coming from the cleat rub against the pedal. There is a lot of play, and some vertical movement going on. Basically the pedal is not holding the cleat nice and tight like it should. I have tried all sorts for Keo cleats: grey, red, grip, no grip, as well as Exustar cleats, but all have them same issues. I am guessing the Bont sole is not matching perfectly with the cleat, and the cleat is getting deformed when I tighten them.

Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions on a fix besides buying another brand pedal??

Thanks for any help you might have!
Hi Girona. Please, remove the insole and check under if there is a problem with the T-NUT's where you screw the cleat bolts. They are very poor quality and system. I had lot of problems in the past with that kind of T-NUT since they are frequently used on inline skates... They become loose over time...

If you find that the T-Nuts are in bad shape and no longer holding the screw holes in place Bont sells spares.

Are you spanish?

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

I use keo max,keo2,and blade with Bont Vaypor S. They work fine. Are you placing the cleat far back or forward where the sole can contact the pedal body?

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

A lot of people riding Keo's seem to complain about cleat instability, with all manner of shoes. If you look at pics from pro race pits, you will see that the mechanics often fit a strip of bar tape across the steel plate of the pedal, to take up some of the play in the system, but that has always seemed like a hack job to me as it can't be very durable, and also would add a lot of drag to the float.

I'd suggest doing what others have suggested, in terms of coming up with a way to build up the gaps in the cleat/shoe interface, so that the cleat isn't distorted upon tightening. Something non/minimally compressible would be ideal, so either thin strips of plastic cut from a bottle or something, or if you want something that could provide a perfect fit then use some sort of hardening paste/putty, like a 2-part epoxy. You would want to loosen your cleats and once the tension is just off of them take a look from the side and see where the gaps are (for example, are the in the middle of the cleat or on the front/back edges. I'd guess they'll be in the middle, but check to be sure. Then you can cover the soles of your shoes with some plastic wrap to prevent gluing your cleats in place, and then apply the epoxy to the parts of the cleat where you saw the gaps. Gently tighten the cleats back down until the high points of the cleat make contact with the plastic wrap covered shoe sole, and the expoxy squishes a bit, letting you know you have full contact. Scrape any excess away before it hardens, and then let them set.

And there you go, custom fit cleats!

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

TheKaiser wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:55 pm
A lot of people riding Keo's seem to complain about cleat instability, with all manner of shoes. If you look at pics from pro race pits, you will see that the mechanics often fit a strip of bar tape across the steel plate of the pedal, to take up some of the play in the system, but that has always seemed like a hack job to me as it can't be very durable, and also would add a lot of drag to the float.

I'd suggest doing what others have suggested, in terms of coming up with a way to build up the gaps in the cleat/shoe interface, so that the cleat isn't distorted upon tightening. Something non/minimally compressible would be ideal, so either thin strips of plastic cut from a bottle or something, or if you want something that could provide a perfect fit then use some sort of hardening paste/putty, like a 2-part epoxy. You would want to loosen your cleats and once the tension is just off of them take a look from the side and see where the gaps are (for example, are the in the middle of the cleat or on the front/back edges. I'd guess they'll be in the middle, but check to be sure. Then you can cover the soles of your shoes with some plastic wrap to prevent gluing your cleats in place, and then apply the epoxy to the parts of the cleat where you saw the gaps. Gently tighten the cleats back down until the high points of the cleat make contact with the plastic wrap covered shoe sole, and the expoxy squishes a bit, letting you know you have full contact. Scrape any excess away before it hardens, and then let them set.

And there you go, custom fit cleats!
You are right. The way I see it, Keo system is out of date and should be updated asap. I had to go from shimano system, arguably de best system out there, back to Keo (which I had many years ago) because i bought a power meter with keo system and I absolutely hated it...

Cleats are unstable, not durable, and too small... Even the black ones, that supposed to be 0 float have 1-2 degrees of play.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com