What bike to get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lemkeg

by lemkeg

Recently my S-Works Tarmac SL3 frame broke in a crash. I am looking at getting a new bike (frameset only) for around €3000. Built up with all the stuff from my old bike (DA 9100 rear derailleur, Ultegra 6800 front derailleur, shifters, crankset (with rotor q rings), zipp bar and stem, Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels)). Would be nice to get it to under 6,8kg.

What bike would you recommend? I mostly do climbing races but live in the flattest country on earth. Was looking at the Rose X-Lite Team, S-Works Tarmac, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX or maybe go over budget for a Pinarello Dogma F10.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pointernegro

by pointernegro

Cervelo R5 2017 or canyon ultimate CF EVO.

My favorites.

gzon

by gzon

I like aero bikes, as long as they are not heavy (VIAS) they are good for climbing. So: Trek Madone in H1, the new (2016) Scott Foil

Shrike

by Shrike

New Tarmac coming out, though it sounds like you want something sooner than that. It does look really interesting though. I love the new seat stays.

R5 would be my pick though for a climbing/trad frameset.

The Ultimate EVO frameset is a bit of a marvel, but have less confidence in how it rides than say an R5. Haven't heard from anyone who's bought one. Could be a blast though, who knows :P

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Hi
You can get the new Colnago V2-R
It is the evolution of the v1-r with upgrades like the placement of the rear brake on the seat stays,new aero seatclamp(like the concent) and new headtube
Also it will be much stiffer(already stiff enough) and lighter

It is within you budget and you will need to get direct mount brakes as well

BRM

by BRM

lemkeg wrote:What bike would you recommend? I mostly do climbing races but live in the flattest country on earth.

Eh, how do you do mostly climbing races in the flattest country on earth?? :noidea:

For the rest you don't know what you want and the answers you get are only the preferences of others.
Because most people here live completely in their own worlds and can't think fromout a given situation that is different.
They hardly look to the Original question and set only what they want on the foreground.
Pretty senseless topic if you ask me.
Think you need to find more direction yourself. The better you explain what your preferences really are, the better matching answers you get. You can steer the quality of respons.
Last edited by BRM on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

If the Tarmac worked well, why not another one? They just announced the new one so I'm sure you could get a great deal on the current generation as they will start blowing them out on sale.

Beaver

by Beaver

We need a litte more input. :) What features are you looking for?

I also just bought a new frameset - main reason was 28mm tire clearance, but I also wanted a little more aero and comfort, internal cable routing and a not too heavy frame without bb mounted brakes. Ended up with an Orbea Orca OMR and I am very happy so far. :)

lemkeg

by lemkeg

BRM wrote:
lemkeg wrote:What bike would you recommend? I mostly do climbing races but live in the flattest country on earth.

Eh, how do you do mostly climbing races in the flattest country on earth?? :noidea:

I live in Holland and race in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany etc.

lemkeg

by lemkeg

Beaver wrote:We need a litte more input. :) What features are you looking for?

I also just bought a new frameset - main reason was 28mm tire clearance, but I also wanted a little more aero and comfort, internal cable routing and a not too heavy frame without bb mounted brakes. Ended up with an Orbea Orca OMR and I am very happy so far. :)

I am looking for a lightweight frame. Agressive geometry, short headtube. Aero is not a priority (should it be?). Internal cable routing and 25mm tire clearance. Good handling bike for the descents. Stiff in a sprint.

lemkeg

by lemkeg

pointernegro wrote:Cervelo R5 2017 or canyon ultimate CF EVO.

My favorites.

CF EVO looks great. Can't find too much real world info on how it rides though. I can also get a sponsorship discount on the CF SLX and get that for €2100. Don't think the extra €1200 can be justified for the EVO.

pointernegro

by pointernegro

Pinarello F10 for 3000€???
:lol:

lemkeg

by lemkeg

I did a few test rides on the Canyon Ultimate, Pinarello F8 and F10, S-Works SL5, Cervelo R3 and R5 and the Giant TCR Advanced SL. I went for the TCR. Great handling bike and super stiff and light. Got a good deal on the Advanced SL with DA9100.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

AJS914 wrote:If the Tarmac worked well, why not another one? They just announced the new one so I'm sure you could get a great deal on the current generation as they will start blowing them out on sale.

This, which will leave some cash in your pocket to upgrade some components. Really sweet frame and handle well. Great value. As opposed to the Pinarello, which is beautiful and all, but at an exorbitant price for that exclusivity. :shock:
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com