Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 - Tyre size choice - Brake Clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SimmyD

by SimmyD

Hey all,

Have built up a new Chapter 2 Frame with Etap, Red brakes and Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3 wheels which have a 19.5mm internal width.

Problem I have is tyre clearance between the top of the tyre and the brake.

I am currently running 25mm Pirelli tyres which seem to rub now and then. Looking at the clearance it looks like there is around 1mm.... maybe less.

Now I am happy to move to a different tyre size but I seem to be getting some mixed ideas.

Some say that going up to 28mm will give me more clearance as the tyre will bulge more ( right now its not bulging enough causing a taller tyre)

Other say going down to 23mm will solve it (which also makes sense with less material.)

What does everyone think? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SimmyD

by SimmyD

Another question:

When a wheels mfg says they recommend 25 - 26mm tyres do they mean whats printed on them on what they actually measure to while on the rim at the pressure you want to ride at?

Cheers,

Simon

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Don't go to 28mm. They almost always run taller than 25mm versions of the same tire.

Use a different 25mm tire or downsize to the 23mm version. The 25mm Pirelli P-Zero Velos measure 27mm on rims far narrower than your Aeolus 3 Pros, so your tires are probably measuring 28mm.

Wheel manufacturers will generally list actual measurements as recommended tire sizes.

SimmyD

by SimmyD

Thanks for the tips.

stuck some 23c on there and they fit great. Eyeballing it as the OR is 27mm it looks like they are 25mm as recommended by Bontrager.

There should be a sticky FAQ on tyre fitment on different rim widths and the logic behind it. :)

Cheers,

Simon