Groove between tire and rim - silicone or latex or ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Hey

I'm interested in filling the groove with something. What have you who have tried this used with good results? I'm thinking transparent and something that doesnt fall off from normal riding easy.

I hardly ever have any flats so for me if the stuff adheres well enough to stay there a few years the better.

Cheers! /a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Shoe goo?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Clear silicone bathtub sealant. I'm intrigued but get just enough flats that I don't think I'll try it.

jih

by jih

might be worth a try if you're running tubeless. Advantage if it is black.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Is the application for aero? Or what purpose does this serve?

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

once it is illegal for UCI. Does anyone knows if its still?

kode54

by kode54

you would think that the tire companies would have a rim lip to fill the gap...just like they make lips on car tires to prevent the rim touching the curb.

but i suppose all the rim lips are different in size and thickness.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AJS914

by AJS914

What are you going to save? 1 watt? It sounds like a giant mess.

em3

by em3

Mavic had/has such a product, called the aero "blade" albeit UCI banned its use.

http://road.cc/content/news/84050-mavic ... ero-blades

https://cycletechreview.com/2012/news/m ... isallowed/

As for using silicone or other to fill gap in search of aero savings, seems like a fools errand....no offense.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Thank you for all the replies.

I know it's not uci approved. Just about to build a nice deep wheelset and thought I shouldn't overlook such a simple mod to improving the shape.

I remember when doing tilework in the kithen/bathroom that some of these gap fillers are quite elastic and would probably do ok in moving with the tire/rim flex. Only the color might not fit hehe.

/a

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'll try the clear silicone sealant that was suggested. I'll report back in a few weeks and let you know how it went.

/a

chris47

by chris47

Well, I used some silicone to fill the gap, and that stuff is pretty durable. I was able to change tubes without it getting torn up but it was hard to seat it properly when inflating the tube again. It was a major pita to get it off the tire, so look at it as a permanent mod :)

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

em3 wrote:Mavic had/has such a product, called the aero "blade" albeit UCI banned its use.

http://road.cc/content/news/84050-mavic ... ero-blades

https://cycletechreview.com/2012/news/m ... isallowed/

As for using silicone or other to fill gap in search of aero savings, seems like a fools errand....no offense.

Maybe a fools errand, but I recall seeing Contador's mechanic doing this in some of those TDF TT tech galleries from several years back. That was with tubulars of course.

The Mavic blade may be disallowed, but are you aware of anything specifically banning this silicone caulk strategy? I would think that, particularly on a tubular, it would be difficult for the UCI to determine if that it was simply an aero mod as it could also help tire retention, and prevent water getting into and weakening the tire/rim bond.

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

what if a company makes a "clincher" or a "tubular" tire with that shape for specific wheel widths? will it be still UCI illegal?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rpowell

by rpowell

dont the cross guys seal their dugast sidewalls with aquaseal? urethane should hold up better in this application than silicone.