Gabba / Perfetto alternatives for cold weather riding.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

So I realized that I keep riding more and more in my gabba / perfetto light jerseys even on dry days. They are perfect in the early morning chill and I do not overheat in them during the day in the high 60s F (< 20 C). They are the perfect middle ground between a jacket and a jersey.

Are there any other jersey out there with wind blocker material? I don't care about the waterproof properties, just the wind. I considered the rapha shadow jersey, but it's stupidly overpriced. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Gore do a windstopper version of the Oxygen jersey which is nice. There is also the craft shield but not sure how thick it is.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Capo Lombardia. I've sorta soured on Capo, but still really like the lombardia. Buy it on sale if you can, its often heavily discounted.

The Castelli trasparante is also nice, windblock but breathable back.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

AJS914

by AJS914

I have a Transparente Due and it is a great jacket. There are only about a million other choices in the windblocker segment.

kervelo

by kervelo

Check out the Gore Bike Wear Power windstopper jersey. Available both with short and long sleeves.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Maybe you should get a Gabba. And a Perfetto. Why settle for anything less (like Gore, etc)?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

JKolmo wrote:Maybe you should get a Gabba. And a Perfetto. Why settle for anything less (like Gore, etc)?

Haha. Yeah, you are right, but I was hoping for something with a bit better design. While the perfetto / gabba perform amazingly, I'm not a huge fan of castelli's design.

AJS914

by AJS914

You said you didn't need water resistance. Every clothing maker makes windstopper jackets in every weight imaginable. Just find something where you like the design better. You can also make any jersey into "windstopper" by wearing a wind vest over it.

kervelo

by kervelo

nemeseri wrote:
JKolmo wrote:Maybe you should get a Gabba. And a Perfetto. Why settle for anything less (like Gore, etc)?

Haha. Yeah, you are right, but I was hoping for something with a bit better design. While the perfetto / gabba perform amazingly, I'm not a huge fan of castelli's design.

The reviewers that have ranked the GBW Power better than the Gabba have mentioned the cut and performance as the reasons.

gwilliams

by gwilliams

Q36.5 Hybrid Que Long Sleeve-superb

mag

by mag

Parentini Arrowind or Mossa, but depending on the country you live in you may have a hard time getting these (Parentini don't seem to care about selling their products outside the Italy much).

Jju3jin

by Jju3jin

Perfetto & winter jersey is good for -10C. -5C~5C for Perfetto only.

robertbb

by robertbb

Castelli Alpha (jersey). Plain roubaix jersey material on the back, which insulates and breathes. A fleece vest on the *inside* and windstopper front (with a second zip), and windstopper arms. The arms have no in-built insulation... but you can wear arm warmers underneath (and, crucially, remove them when you warm up leaving just the thin windstopper). A quick unzip of the outer wind stopper layer lets you regulate heat superbly (e.g. on a climb), and then re-enable windstopper mode on the way down.

Every panel has a DWR that water beads off.

It's an amazing piece.

tuba

by tuba

Assos Intermediate Evo is perfect
40-60 degrees Fahrenheit +/- a few degrees

wear a short sleeve base layer in warmer weather or various thickness of long sleeve base layers in colder temps

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

nemeseri wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:41 pm
So I realized that I keep riding more and more in my gabba / perfetto light jerseys even on dry days. They are perfect in the early morning chill and I do not overheat in them during the day in the high 60s F (< 20 C). They are the perfect middle ground between a jacket and a jersey.

Are there any other jersey out there with wind blocker material? I don't care about the waterproof properties, just the wind. I considered the rapha shadow jersey, but it's stupidly overpriced. Thanks.
If money isn't an issue..... Rapha and Assos.
If money is....can consider
Lusso Aqua Repel jacket...slightly cheaper than Castelli
Pearl Izumi Wind Jersey.... Half the price
Altura.... Way cheaper

... but most of these are long sleeves, I'm sure there is a short sleeve version.

Like others have said, if Gabba or Perfetto fits comfortably and correctly, stick with it.

I have Perfetto short sleeve and wanna get the long sleeve version but I also wanna try Rapha jersey and Assos bibs just to see what all the hype is about.