Ax Lightness - no more! -Not so much, read page 2 respond by Nils

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric01

by eric01

Yes that's true. But can look at canyon as a example where direct is successful. Different market segment and outreach, but also not totally irrelevant benchmark.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Svetty

by Svetty

eric01 wrote:Yes that's true. But can look at canyon as a example where direct is successful. Different market segment and outreach, but also not totally irrelevant benchmark.

Not sure that citing Canyon as an example of reliable customer service is appropriate - unless I'm missing the irony?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

pk0r wrote:Thanks already for the clarification sp3000!

ax is definitely not gone as the topic suggests nor do we have any intention to do so, actually in fact quite the contrary as we are currently setting up a new and much larger facility - still in Germany of course as this is our driving philosophy! This allows us to use technology that is not possible in a mass production, e.g. already down to the processes, variations of fiber angles, autoclaves, or very specialized raw materials.
Of course even the new factory we won't ever make us go the mass production way, but this simply is not our goal or philosophy either. The new factory however will allow us a higher efficiency in production, fast reaction times and also a better scaling.
We do not want to cut back on our technological level and the most recent test results, be it in Tour-Magazin, Rennrad or Procycling prove us right here with several test wins. At the same time tests as in Tour-Magazin also too well show how unique a German or non-Asian production are nowadays with us having been the only company in the "art of German engineering" special to in fact produce here (in Germany) as well with Storck, Canyon, Lightweight all producing in the Far East. Not our approach as said.

That said the technology does come at its costs. With everything being conducted in house with us, starting with the engineering, over to the testing and finally also the production, the downside are high production costs (which already suffocates the idea of a mass production model).
In order to still keep a competitive price level and not demand crazy prices such as 9000 EUR for a frameset, we are going the step to a direct distribution and won't be selling through LBS any longer. There will still be a couple of distributors around the world, but at least for Europe we will be selling directly. This allows to bring the leadtime down for a customer as well as to get the better service (as quite honestly there had only been a handful of shops anyways who have really been stocking our products).
We will also launcha very unique full insurance policy which will show how much we stand behind our products and how much you can trust them. There has been A LOT of work in the past 20 months with us - to the better for sure.

Nils Wiedemann
Factory Manager
ax-lightness composites GmbH & Co KG

TLTR: ax is NOT out of business, but extending their production. At the same time they are going the step to a direct distribution.

Excellent news! A pity the dealer who told me this, did not share the whole truth.
I was informed Ax Lightness is no more.
I am glad you chimed in here Nils!

I still am curious on the finished gravel frame/ bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kode54

by kode54

what a relief. glad AX is still in the biz. besides great products, their customer support is top notch.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

flying

by flying

pk0r wrote:
TLTR: ax is NOT out of business, but extending their production. At the same time they are going the step to a direct distribution.

That is good to hear but.........More importantly
Hello Nils !! :thumbup: So nice to see your still at it :beerchug: :D

tharmor

by tharmor

What progress has been made on the disc version of the Vial Evo? I'm holding out for that bike.