Help me to save weight on my Boardman SLS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Deveron53

by Deveron53

I'm not going to go crazy trying to save 10g by spending £1,000 but I would welcome sensible suggestions to save a little bit more weight at modest cost without compromising performance or spending big bucks.

I have come to a dead stop, I can't think of what to do next. Any ideas?

Current weight including pedals but excluding bottle cages and computer mount: 7.210kg

Frame: Boardman SLS disc. Size XL
Through axles are 'Stealth' front and Wahoo trainer rear. Both require a 6mm Allen key and save a ton of weight over the handled versions.
Wheels: Carbonal GCX28 rims with Novatec 6 bolt disc hubs. CX-Ray spokes (24/24) alloy nipples. Tubeless with alloy valves.
Tyres: Schwalbe One Pro tubeless 25mm with 30ml fluid front/rear.
Rear cassette: Dura Ace 9000 11-25
Chainset: Rotor 3D24 175mm Rotor rings 52/34 (674g)
Rear mech: Sram Force short cage
Front mech: Sram Force
Brifters: Sram Rival HRD
Discs: 140mm front/rear
Bars: Easton EC90
Stem: Rotor SX3
Seatpost: Easton EC90 (cut down and with ti bolts)
Saddle: Selle Esse carbon (160g)
Pedals: Speedplay with all the ti bits (150g the pair)

The main areas I'm looking at currently are:

The fork headset compression bung (I did a cork and t-nut based glue-in one once but the cork just compressed badly)

The chain keeper (i.e. do I need one?)

Front disc (currently the rear is a superlight 64g but the front is a Sram Centerline)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

7.2kg seems quite good for a disk bike.
Nokon or Jagwire Elite shifter cables - save 20g
Carbon Headset cone spacer? save 5-15g
carbon fibre stem rings? save 2-10g
Headset expander? this one from Taiwan is 12g http://www.evanda.com.my/product/index.php?id_product=198&controller=product Save up to 30g
Misc. Ti or alloy bolts on stem and derailleurs - up to 30g.
If your SRAM Centerline isn't 'floating' type I'd buy a pair, I think SRAM rotors are about the best, screw the extra weight IMO.

Deveron53

by Deveron53

Yes, I'm quite pleased with the weight. It was just under 8kg in January. Getting rid of 5800 105 was the biggest weight saving! Then wheels, then switching to 25mm rubber and only putting 30ml fluid in each tyre.

I have just ordered another 140mm 64g front disc and a lighter headset compression device.

My aim is to get the bike under 7kg but I'm not sure it's possible.

Deveron53

by Deveron53

I managed to get one of those Cannondale headset compression devices. 16g!

KCookie

by KCookie

You could save about 60g buy not putting fluid in the tyres. !!!

Deveron53

by Deveron53

KCookie wrote:You could save about 60g buy not putting fluid in the tyres. !!!

Hmmm. I don't wanna risk it!

Deveron53

by Deveron53

My latest bike weight is 7.135 kg

I bought one of these:
http://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannondale-Carbon-Fork-Expander-Plug-and-Top-Cap--Si-F2--KP017/product_detail/3-40271

It's really good! and only 16g.

How can I save another 140g? I may need to start sawing off things!

Now I need to get my bike ready for a gravel/road race so the weight will go up temporarily. Bigger tyres, extra bar tape etc...

Rudi

by Rudi

How heavy is the stem? Kalloy Uno is a popular and cheap choice?

I know you said you'd cut down the seatpost, but how heavy is that? Again there are realtively cheap and light options out there.

Assume you've already cut off any excess on the steerer tube.

Bartape? Do you really need extra and what do you have on when you are not racing?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

Deveron53 wrote:I'm not going to go crazy trying to save 10g by spending £1,000 but I would welcome sensible suggestions to save a little bit more weight at modest cost without compromising performance or spending big bucks.

I have come to a dead stop, I can't think of what to do next. Any ideas?

Current weight including pedals but excluding bottle cages and computer mount: 7.210kg

Frame: Boardman SLS disc. Size XL
Through axles are 'Stealth' front and Wahoo trainer rear. Both require a 6mm Allen key and save a ton of weight over the handled versions.
Wheels: Carbonal GCX28 rims with Novatec 6 bolt disc hubs. CX-Ray spokes (24/24) alloy nipples. Tubeless with alloy valves.
Tyres: Schwalbe One Pro tubeless 25mm with 30ml fluid front/rear.
Rear cassette: Dura Ace 9000 11-25
Chainset: Rotor 3D24 175mm Rotor rings 52/34 (674g)
Rear mech: Sram Force short cage
Front mech: Sram Force
Brifters: Sram Rival HRD
Discs: 140mm front/rear
Bars: Easton EC90
Stem: Rotor SX3
Seatpost: Easton EC90 (cut down and with ti bolts)
Saddle: Selle Esse carbon (160g)
Pedals: Speedplay with all the ti bits (150g the pair)

The main areas I'm looking at currently are:

The fork headset compression bung (I did a cork and t-nut based glue-in one once but the cork just compressed badly)

The chain keeper (i.e. do I need one?)

Front disc (currently the rear is a superlight 64g but the front is a Sram Centerline)

a question out of topic but are you satisfied with your Easton ec90s? do you have enough room for a Garmin mount? we can talk in pm also.

Deveron53

by Deveron53

mrtkcmz wrote:
Deveron53 wrote:

a question out of topic but are you satisfied with your Easton ec90s? do you have enough room for a Garmin mount? we can talk in pm also.

Yes, my Eastons are ok. I have the red carbon ones with the 'normal' bends. Quite light. I have a Wahoo mount which seems to have plenty of room on the bars.

F45

by F45

Is that a powermeter crank?

Go to a Red22 crank with some lighter rings, save 150g. I'm assuming PF30.

Save maybe 50g with weenie cable housing.

Novatec 6 bolt hubs are not weenie at all. Change them for DT240 or Carbon Ti and save 200g. On the rear rotor you can leave out half the bolts.

For ww, you kinda messed up going to disc. It will always be 500g heavier than a rim brake for the same cash outlay.

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

Deveron53 wrote:
mrtkcmz wrote:
Deveron53 wrote:

Yes, my Eastons are ok. I have the red carbon ones with the 'normal' bends. Quite light. I have a Wahoo mount which seems to have plenty of room on the bars.

oh sorry. I thought those were the aero ones. It seems you are using the regular ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Deveron53

by Deveron53

F45 wrote:Is that a powermeter crank?

Go to a Red22 crank with some lighter rings, save 150g. I'm assuming PF30.

Save maybe 50g with weenie cable housing.

Novatec 6 bolt hubs are not weenie at all. Change them for DT240 or Carbon Ti and save 200g. On the rear rotor you can leave out half the bolts.

For ww, you kinda messed up going to disc. It will always be 500g heavier than a rim brake for the same cash outlay.

I've got Rotor 3D24 so steel axle. I tried the PF30 version, the crank removal procedure is awful! Not power meter. I do like the Rotor cranks so they're staying.

I tried the weenie cable housing but it caused too much drag on my SRAM double tap system. I have one bit left on my rear derailleur and my front shifter to downtube internal stop.

My total wheelset weight is 1400g with rim tape and valves so I'm reasonably happy with that.

I came to road cycling from mountain biking so I went straight to discs. If I had rim brakes now, I'd probably be sub 6.5kg but that's part of the challenge! I want to see how low I can get a tall person's disc braked fat tyred machine!