Headset dust cover - BAAAAAAAD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Treading in the footsteps of giant, I am coming to the conclusion of my SuperSix build. 4ibanez, RyanH, Godzuki26, Nifty: geniuses.

One of the big spots for weight saving on a SS Evo HM build is on the standard bearings. The FSA SL ACB bearings, although don't last as long, weigh very little.

My bottom FSA SL ACB bearing sat just fine (oddly enough as Nifty never got his to work), but the top bearing has the outside of the bearing sitting proud by about 1.5-2.0 mm. The inner part of the bearing sits eeeextra low, so when I place the compression ring it requires some 6 microspacers (WEIGHT) for the slammed dust cover to push down on it. The dust cover then ends up sitting some 3 mm away from the frame (ugly AF).

QUESTION:

This bike is a fun little WW project, hill climb bike, won't see bad weather, won't see crazy mileage (and if it did go out on a trip I'd swap the bearings around for the standard).

Is it too wrong to not have a dust cover and just have a 5mm or 10mm sitting directly on the compression ring, followed by the stem? If this isn't really an acceptable option, I will need to go down the route of having a custom dust cover made which has enough "drop" to kill away that 3mm gap.

Thoughts?

As soon as I get some time I'll put together a build threat with more scale shots than anaconda.

:beerchug:

morganb

by morganb

There are a number of XC pros that run the stem directly on the top bearing and it seems to hold up at least for their race distance. I

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

google slamthatstem
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Thanks, guys. And thanks for the shout about slamthatstem.

There's a dude on a local London forum that sources a similar product, so that might be the way forward.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Could you share more details?
I would neen to lover my stem too.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Sup Chris.

So the wrap is: bought a Super Six Evo Hm which comes with the tall 20mm (I think) conical spacer and a slammed dust cover (maybe 5mm).

When using the original bearing (which sits flush to the frame), I can use the original super six low dust cover to get that slammed look.

When using the FSA SL ACB light weight bearing, the bearing stands proud about 1-2mm, with the compression ring sitting extra low. I then require a bunch of microspacers to allow a dust cover to push down on the compression ring. The compression ring then ends up sitting some 3-4mm away from the frame.

So far, I have removed the dust covers (tall conical or slammed) and have a spacer above the compresion ring (between the compression ring and the stem).

I am currently speaking with a guy from a London forum which makes custom slammed dust covers. I know he can make the outside with a 2 or 3 or 4 mm drop, will try finding out if the inside bit can also have "in built" microspacer/stalk.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Few years back I got a dust cup from Veloflyte. It fits Cervelos perfectly. As they are no longer in business, I'm looking for alternatives.
That obviously wouldn't solve your problem as you need bigger stack anyway.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Yup. Damn ironman project. Stop watching too many movies and sort out our WW needs!

Hahahaha!

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Take another compression ring. They are for sale in different heights, so you don't need 4 or 5 micro spacers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com