Di2 R9170 or eTap HRD for the disc brake build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

R9170 or eTap HRD?

R9170
57%
eTap HRD
41%
Mechanical?
1%

Total votes: 70

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Hey guys,

I got the disc ViAS frame and most of the components for my build. I'm still missing the groupset part, though. As of June, the groupsets are slowly arriving on the market with eTap HRD already hitting few stores and the hydraulic DA components appearing as well (the brakes and the rotors are available for purchase, the levers should emerge next week.

Now, my question is - which one should I go for? I have only ridden the eTap HRD last year and I really liked the shape and size of the hoods (I got pretty large hands). Shifting-wise, this was my first (and last) time on electronic groupset so I didn't really know what to expect but I was satisfied overall, it just worked. I didn't ride any Di2 groupset, but I like the look of it, particularly the rotors and the crank; I kinda dislike the look of the rear RD-R9150 derailleur though. On the other hand, the eTap looks cleaner to me, like it fits the bike better but I guess I won't be looking at derailleurs much, anyway.

Waiting for the new Ultegra isn't really an option, I want the bike to be finished by the beginning of July. The only real difference that I've found is the shifting speed (eTap is ~100ms slower), but I'm not sure I will see the difference OR that it should be a deciding factor.

This is the frame that's the subject of the question (the picture isn't mine but it already shows more or less how the bike would look with the DA).

Kind regards,
Marcin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

difficult choice. i like the idea of wireless, but apparently the front mech on etap can be difficult. Perhaps it is just set up errors, but there are some reports of chaindrop. In my opinion Shimano is the safe/less risky option, especially bearing in mind that you are essentially comparing V3 of di2 vs V1 of etap.

Also worth mentioning is the hood shape ergonomics / aethetics of shimano di2 is identical between rim and hydraulic disc

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

I'm a huge fan of synchroshift because it keeps me from crosschaining. If you're already diligent about not doing that and you don't care about the ew-wu111 bluetooth le transmitter, go with e-tap.

TonyM

by TonyM

I will face the same question in 2 months when the new Tarmac will be available. I think I will go for DA because of all the settings that I can do and because of the additional buttons on the shifters. The new DA looks much better also. eTap would be much better if you could perform some other settings in the electronics like for DA. Maybe in the next version of eTap.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

TonyM wrote:I will face the same question in 2 months when the new Tarmac will be available. I think I will go for DA because of all the settings that I can do and because of the additional buttons on the shifters. The new DA looks much better also. eTap would be much better if you could perform some other settings in the electronics like for DA. Maybe in the next version of eTap.

What exactly are you planning to use? Synchro shift? Are you used to some shifting patterns? Planning to use the buttons on top of the hoods for something? I've thought the FD trimming is made automatically with eTap as well.

jeffy wrote:Also worth mentioning is the hood shape ergonomics / aethetics of shimano di2 is identical between rim and hydraulic disc

Is it good or bad thing? I didn't have the DA hoods in hands, let alone the newest iteration of the group.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Etap shifting speed isn't an issue but the Etap front mech wont clear a 53 Qring on the vias frame.
Using Tapatalk

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Q rings are for crazy people Nefarious86

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

sugarkane wrote:Q rings are for crazy people Nefarious86

I prefer to be called a Fat Unco Hubbard thank you...
Using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

lovemyway wrote:
What exactly are you planning to use? Synchro shift? Are you used to some shifting patterns? Planning to use the buttons on top of the hoods for something? I've thought the FD trimming is made automatically with eTap as well.

It will be my first electronic group.

I like the fact that you can setup the shifting pretty much the way you want with the DA app. Everybody seem to like/ love the eTap shifting pattern but I am not so sure with me as I used a mechanical shifting pattern so many years and as I will still have my summer bike, my winter bike and my 2 MTBs with the traditional mechanical shifting pattern. And I like the fact that you can program the button on the top of the DA shifter for the computer.

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

I would go with Di2. I have Red eTap on my road bike, and Ultegra Di2 on my gravel bike, and between the two, Ultegra Di2 shifts better. With eTap I notice some hesitation shifting into larger cogs on the rear - this happens in the middle of the cassette

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Seems like more people are opting for the Di2 here. I find it pretty strange, as in the other thread, the "Di2 9150 vs Red eTap" eTap is winning (but maybe it's because of the powermeter part).

Guys, mind you, this is going to be a strict road build, not some gravel/adventure bike. I should've put that in the title I guess.

TonyM

by TonyM

Yes I meant I will use the DA Di2 on my next road bike that I will buy in August; and hopefully the new DA powermeter will be also available.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

May I ask why do you want the DA powermeter instead of Quarq for Specialized / power2max / other crank based option with Specialized crank arms?

I'm missing the powermeter part too, but I don't know if DA with it's +-2% accuracy and a pretty big pricepoint is a good option. I currently own power2max type S which I might replace for the NG, but there are no Specialized crank arms in 180mm yet (new model) and I don't really know what to do.. I've been offered to get the 2016 S-Works road crank arms but they are not as aesthetically pleasing as the new ones.

TonyM

by TonyM

I currently use a P2M S (campa SR) and it works fine but the DA 9100 powermeter crankset looks very good. I really love the black finish of the new DA. I am not sure the P2M DA 9100 will look good. And I am not sure I like the type NG because of the rechargeable battery.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lovemyway

by lovemyway

The DA powermeter has rechargable battery as well, although it's probably hidden a bit better.

But I agree, the 9100 cranks look very good on the bike (e.g. the picture from the first post).

I'm reading the reviews of the R9150/R9170 (most of them early first-ride reviews, from January) and some people (cyclingtips for one) are complaining about the big ring shifts, especially when using the syncro shift mode but maybe it's been resolved (or it can be resolved, I dunno).