etap rear mech issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbon337

by carbon337

A week or so ago I got a notification on my Garmin 520 that my rear mech was at critical battery, strange i thought as i had charged it quite recently. Thinking that it may not have been seated properly i gave it another charge. In the meantime i put front mech battery on the rear and checked the stauts of the battery where that also said critical, when it was on front mech it said NEW.

Anyway ignored this and carried on using the bike, never checked it again but no more notifications. Used it yesterday fine but today the rear mech doesnt work at all. The shifters move the front mech ok, swapped batteries and both batteries work fine on the front mech.

I cant even get the light on the rear mech to light up when I press the button or press and hold.

Ideas?

Edit - yes ive fully charged both until the lights go green on the charger.
Last edited by carbon337 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benp

by benp

carbon337 wrote:A week or so ago I got a notification on my Garmin 520 that my rear mech was at critical battery, strange i thought as i had charged it quite recently. Thinking that it may not have been seated properly i gave it another charge. In the meantime i put front mech battery on the rear and checked the stauts of the battery where that also said critical, when it was on front mech it said NEW.

Anyway ignored this and carried on using the bike, never checked it again but no more notifications. Used it yesterday fine but today the rear mech doesnt work at all. The shifters move the front mech ok, swapped batteries and both batteries work fine on the front mech.

I cant even get the light on the front mech to light up when I press the button or press and hold.

Ideas?

Edit - yes ive fully charged both until the lights go green on the charger.

No experience with this myself, but for initial trouble checking I would first check the battery contacts on the mech itself. Check they are clean and spring out consistently.

sungod

by sungod

^^^this

if batteries are charged and contacts ok, but still no light on the rd then it's faulty

contact retailer for warranty service (or sram direct if you're in a country where they don't ignore you)

Adamchinnyb

by Adamchinnyb

I've had the same problem. Rear mech is draining batteries and working inconsistently. Did you get to the bottom of your problems?? I'd love to hear what happened