Investing in BB30 PM a bad idea?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Nope, long spindle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

It's BB386.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

does the OP change his/her bike every year if so you can afford a new PM. as for an investment all bike kit is poor as none of it appriecates in value.

Since BB386 solves this problem the question is moot anyhow.

SixThirteen

by SixThirteen

You could try Team Zwatt Zspider - L/R power, native BB386 and they can supply adapters for many BBs. For example can go into both my S2 (BBRight) and CAAD9 (BB30)

https://shop.teamzwatt.com/product/team ... wer-meter/
Scott Foil RC10 Ultegra 12 speed / Creston 50 - 7.9Kg

AW84

by AW84

bm0p700f wrote:does the OP change his/her bike every year if so you can afford a new PM. as for an investment all bike kit is poor as none of it appriecates in value.

Definitely not. Every 5-6 years, maybe.

srshaw

by srshaw

Daniel1975 wrote:
dudemanppl wrote:Buy BB30, that will fit any BB except Trek BB90.

First one the pops up in my head: no Pinarello will ever fit with a BB30 crank!

Nor any new Cannondale with bb30a or Cervelo with bbright. In fact only bikes that could be used with bb30 are bb30 or pf30 bikes.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Oh my god LOL we just outlined this. A BB30 Quarq fits in everything that isn't BB90. In fact it will still fit BB90. So yeah it fits everything.

AW84

by AW84

bm0p700f wrote:does the OP change his/her bike every year if so you can afford a new PM. as for an investment all bike kit is poor as none of it appriecates in value.

What frames out there are BB386? Still seems pretty limited with it only compatible with two frame/bottom bracket standards.

AW84

by AW84

dudemanppl wrote:Oh my god LOL we just outlined this. A BB30 Quarq fits in everything that isn't BB90. In fact it will still fit BB90. So yeah it fits everything.

Without buying new arms/spindle, how does it fit everything but BB90?

jlok

by jlok

Quarq made the really bad decision to call their carbon DZero as bb30. It's actually bb386.

With the right bearings/BB it's technically compatible with frames using bb86/bb30/bb30a/bright/bb386 sans bb90 (or does it?).
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

AW84

by AW84

jlok wrote:Quarq made the really bad decision to call their carbon DZero as bb30. It's actually bb386.

With the right bearings/BB it's technically compatible with frames using bb86/bb30/bb30a/bright/bb386 sans bb90 (or does it?).

I've confirmed with SRAM and Specialized that it's directly compatible without any adapters. Are you saying that is incorrect?

jlok

by jlok

AW84 wrote:
jlok wrote:Quarq made the really bad decision to call their carbon DZero as bb30. It's actually bb386.

I've confirmed with SRAM and Specialized that it's directly compatible without any adapters. Are you saying that is incorrect?

You mean BB90? should be ok with 4130 bearings.

AW84

by AW84

jlok wrote:
AW84 wrote:

You mean BB90? should be ok with 4130 bearings.

No, directly compatible with an OSBB Tarmac.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

https://www.lightningbikes.com/cranks/b ... -cups.html

For Trek. Scroll down to BB90/95. 4130 bearings wouldn't fit.

AW84, please find all the correct information before you make another post. Don't spread the wrong info.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Investing in BB30 was a bad idea when Cannondale came up with it and it's a bad idea now. If you haven't yet invested in a crank based powermeter then don't go with a 30mm spindle option. At the time BB30 came out, 30mm spindles were touted as being lighter, and stiffer. They were made of aluminum. They had to make them bigger to get the stiffness. Trouble is, aluminum is quite susceptible to thermal expansion and contractions. So, throw an aluminum spindle into some steel bearings and you have what's affectionately known as Creakendale. Then, trying to keep the bearings themselves from moving in an often imperfectly round BB shell can be a challenge as well. Retaining compounds can help, and in fact I have had pretty much complete success with using them, but it is a little hard to press in the bearings without squishing some of the retaining compound into the bearings or out the other side against the retaining clip which... squishes the compound into the bearings. So... as possible solutions were pondered, they came up with PF30, which still uses a 30mm spindle but the bearings are encased in delrin cups, which are more tolerant of the imperfections of the BB shell. Still, you usually have to use a retaining compound and primer, but at least it's a relatively easy operation. There are enough adapters out there that you can convert your PF30 shells to use a ~24mm based steel spindle power meter which is much more transferrable to various BB's out there. And the steel spindles are not susceptible to the temperature contraction/expansion that aluminum alloy spindles are. I'm sure you've heard of people freezing their Cannondale spindles to make it easier to install them in the bearings. The whole BB30/PF30 fiasco has spawned an entire cottage industry of companies with their own "solutions" to the problem that didn't exist prior to BB30/PF30. Some are better than others, and many work very well. But if I was buying a crank based powermeter for the first time, I'd get something with a "standard" (meaning not 30mm) spindle and avoid having to use teensy bearings in BB's that aren't large enough for normal size bearings just to accommodate a 30mm spindle.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com