Expander Plug for Canyon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

I've just bought a second hand Canyon Ultimate SL 9.0 Disc bike.

It seems that the previous owner didn't install the headset properly. I've removed the expander plug to fit a new stem, and found that the plastic between the plug and the top-cap has been crushed/broken (pictured). Now, when I try to reinstall it, the top-bolt just spins around and doesn't tighten up.

The Acros code inside is "e201-15". Canyon have quoted about £25 to send a replacement part.

Before I go ahead and order one, is there a more durable alternative?

So far, I've found an FSA one:
https://www.evanscycles.com/fsa-1-1-4-f ... r-EV207709

And a Shimano Pro one (which seems impossible to find in the UK):
https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en- ... APEXPAN114

Any others?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Don't get the FSA one, it doesn't expand enough or doesn't have enough grip on the sides to keep the expander from sliding up.

The Shimano Pro one is excellent. But heavy. It grips the steerer like a boss. Comes in 2 different lengths, too. I got mine from eBay.

androidavies

by androidavies

The Pro 1 1/4 expander is available from stock at Madison in the UK. Code is PRSHS0080. £29.
Any shop in the UK with a Madison account could get it for you.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Thanks for the quick replies.

The Pro one from Madison is only 25mm in length:
http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycli ... -1-4-inch/

The Canyon one measures 50mm - so I assume I'd need the longer Pro one? Which Madison annoyingly don't seem to stock in the 1/1-4 size...

Delorre

by Delorre

Why would you want the 25mm version? An expander is an expander. If it clamps the right way, even 15mm is enough. Avoid the most recent Canyon ones, their clamping force is not enough!

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

OK, so the short 25mm version will be fine, even though atm the steerer tube hasn't been trimmed to size (there are coincidentally 25mm of spacers above the stem)?

Delorre

by Delorre

In theory, the expander offer some support to the steertube, and if you use a 25mm long expander and 25 mm spacer obove the stem, the expander doens't do anything to support, but I can say it right away : I'venbeen riding my Canyons for 1000's of miles without any expander without any problem (also remember the old Canyons , they only had an open topcap ;-) ), the 1 1/4 steer tube has the edge over 1 1/8 here...

And once you sort out the fit and trim the steer tube, the 25mm deep expander will be really perfect!

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Ok, I've ordered the Pro expander. Thanks everyone!

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

Delorre wrote:In theory, the expander offer some support to the steertube, and if you use a 25mm long expander and 25 mm spacer obove the stem, the expander doens't do anything to support, but I can say it right away : I'venbeen riding my Canyons for 1000's of miles without any expander without any problem (also remember the old Canyons , they only had an open topcap ;-) ), the 1 1/4 steer tube has the edge over 1 1/8 here...

This. With the acros headset, you don't need a top cap/expander. The acros itself adjusts the bearings. I've had a 2012 Ult CF SLX and currently a 2015 ULt CF SLX, and I've always just had the open hole where the top cap would be.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Update - I've bought and fitted the 25mm Pro expander.

At the same time, Canyon have kindly offered to send me a free expander plug too, although on their first attempt they just sent the top cap...

jakkel

by jakkel

markgoldstein wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:51 pm

I've just bought a second hand Canyon Ultimate SL 9.0 Disc bike.

It seems that the previous owner didn't install the headset properly. I've removed the expander plug to fit a new stem, and found that the plastic between the plug and the top-cap has been crushed/broken (pictured). Now, when I try to reinstall it, the top-bolt just spins around and doesn't tighten up.

The Acros code inside is "e201-15". Canyon have quoted about £25 to send a replacement part.

Before I go ahead and order one, is there a more durable alternative?

So far, I've found an FSA one:
https://www.evanscycles.com/fsa-1-1-4-f ... r-EV207709

And a Shimano Pro one (which seems impossible to find in the UK):
https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en- ... APEXPAN114

Any others?

Thanks!
Give this one a bump. :D

How did you remove the old plug?
2004 Cannondale F600SL Sobe
2012 Cannondale SS EVO HM SRAM Red
2013 Cannondale F29 carbon2
2017 Cannondale Slate Apex