Shimano quicklink

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

Apologies if this was discussed before. I just saw it...

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/news/articl ... ink-50061/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

single use? simply copying sram

one day maybe they'll both catch up with...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wippermann-conn ... 5360717784

Ritxis

by Ritxis

sungod wrote:single use? simply copying sram

???

copy Sram?? not copy Kmc??

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Will this come with all new Dura Ace chains? If so then single use wouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric01

by eric01

Shimano's current joining pins are also single use... so no real loss by making this single use as well
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

sungod

by sungod

Ritxis wrote:

???

what i'm getting at is that sram went for silly single-use links at 10-speed, when kmc had perfectly good re-usable ones, sram was not being innovative

shimano introducing a single-use link on 11-speed is simply replicating sram's lack of innovation

for me the benefit of a quicklink is easy removal for servicing, travel etc., which the connex link allows, and sram/shimano single-use links do not

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A single use pin means the pin cannot be taken out of a chain and then reused. A single use quick link means each quick link is only good for the life of a chain, and it shouldn't be reused multiple times on many sets of chains. A single use quick link doesn't mean it cannot be taken apart once it's joined together. So if each set of chain comes with a quick link I don't see the issue of it being single use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRM

by BRM

sungod wrote:
Ritxis wrote:

???

what i'm getting at is that sram went for silly single-use links at 10-speed, when kmc had perfectly good re-usable ones, sram was not being innovative

shimano introducing a single-use link on 11-speed is simply replicating sram's lack of innovation

for me the benefit of a quicklink is easy removal for servicing, travel etc., which the connex link allows, and sram/shimano single-use links do not

Masterlinks already exists for ages.
Maybe the Connex style one, is patented? And therefore others choose a diff style?
Probably more of these concepts for master links are patented.
Maybe others like Shimano have reasons to choose for a style where things can't go wrong and sit more solid?
To limit confusion and warranty claims, not only for chains, bikes but also accidents.

You have a particular use where you choose as best choice the Connex.
But does that count for others too? Apparently not. Many people use kmc quicklinks and are satisfied. The Connex is expensive and the internet shows many that are not technical knowledgeable install the Connex wrong and having problems. Most people just clean their chains so now and then and for them the normal quicklinks are ok. When you need a cheap tool for it who cares.

Here on WW are especially people with exotic use. Special people with special needs. They often generalise and think their needs must be the needs of others too. Which simply is not true . . .

Btw KMC clearly states that their links are not re-usable.
But everyone that uses their brains can figure out that it will not cause problems to re-use a limit amount of times.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Since KMC makes Shimano chains, isn't this link just a re-branded KMC link? Sure looks identical to me.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Bigger Gear wrote:Since KMC makes Shimano chains, isn't this link just a re-branded KMC link? Sure looks identical to me.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this a fact?
2016 Diverge Expert

2lo8

by 2lo8

To my knowledge KMC makes some Shimano chains. It's very misleading to imply that KMC makes all Shimano chains. Shimano uses KMC as a subcontractor to ramp up production for low end chains. If the box says made in Taiwan, there's a good chance KMC made it since Shimano factories are in Japan, Singapore and Malaysia. If the box says made in Japan, you figure it out.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Fair enough. I thought all of the Shimano chains were produced by KMC. Still, this link surely looks like the KMC with different stamping.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Bigger Gear wrote:Fair enough. I thought all of the Shimano chains were produced by KMC. Still, this link surely looks like the KMC with different stamping.

There are only so many different ways to make a chain quick link. Between SRAM, KMC and Connex I would imagine most of the practical possibilities are being employed. Shimano surely know this too and look to have co-opted the design of their subcontractor KMC after their own design failed so miserably a few years back.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

IIRC, SRAM uses the original Sachs powerlink design which should have an expired patent by now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

bremerradkurier wrote:IIRC, SRAM uses the original Sachs powerlink design which should have an expired patent by now.

And don't forget that SRAM bought Sachs.