Shimano quicklink

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Is this on a MTB or a road bike? I'm using a KMC 11 speed quick link on a tandem bicycle with no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

pdlpsher1 wrote:Is this on a MTB or a road bike? I'm using a KMC 11 speed quick link on a tandem bicycle with no issues.
Road bike. It's not the first time either. I caught another one before it broke where the flange edges had chipped off. I have a third one where the top hat of the flange is too long so it hits the inside cog. There is a thread somewhere where it was thought that there are counterfeit KMC links on the market, as there are physical differences. I don't believe that but it was found that KMC has two factories and the quality of one is not as good as the other. I bought mine on Amazon (read the reviews there). It was thought that the ones in bike shops were from Taiwan (attached to a card) and the Amazon ones (loose in a plastic bag) are from China. Wipperman makes a better link. With the larger chain stresses on a tandem, I would use Wipperman or Shimano links and not take the chance with KMC (or as a minimum, don't use the Chinese made ones). I carry a spare on my bike, but do not relish the thought of my boys hitting the top tube if one of these links breaks when I climb out of the saddle.
Last edited by MikeD on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I got the KMC before the Shimano quick links came out. Once the current link wears out I will only use Shimano quick links. A friend of mine uses the Wipperman quick link. For the longest time he was having shifting issues. It turned out that there's a particular orientation one has to mount the Wipperman quick link. Once he figured it out everything is fine. He also uses a Wipperman chain on a Dura Ace group. For me I can't justify the expense of Wipperman. A Dura Ace chain plus a quick link for $35....you just can't beat that.

slake21

by slake21

anyone tried removing the CN900 quicklink without a special tool? I haven't any and need to remove it.
the cable pull method did not work, it's too strong.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:34 pm
I got the KMC before the Shimano quick links came out. Once the current link wears out I will only use Shimano quick links. A friend of mine uses the Wipperman quick link. For the longest time he was having shifting issues. It turned out that there's a particular orientation one has to mount the Wipperman quick link. Once he figured it out everything is fine. He also uses a Wipperman chain on a Dura Ace group. For me I can't justify the expense of Wipperman. A Dura Ace chain plus a quick link for $35....you just can't beat that.
Yup - you need to be mindful of the orientation of the Connex link. How else is the Connex working for him? I bought one when they were released but I couldn't get it to fit on the HG901 chain. The pins on the connex link wouldn't slide through holes in the chain rollers. I used Connex links for years with my Shimano 10sp chains and never had an issue. I was very disappointed by the 11sp Connex link. I have had no issue with the KMC links in the five years I have been using Shimano 11sp chains though.

slake21

by slake21

slake21 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:25 pm
anyone tried removing the CN900 quicklink without a special tool? I haven't any and need to remove it.
so I found this ingenious solution to my problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYrK7DOkCk
all you need is a binder clip! :thumbup:

dricked

by dricked

It’s a $20 tool that any LBS will have or you can order one from any onlin source. Cool trick if you’re in a pinch but would prefer to have the right tools that minimize any possible damage to my equipment.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

slake21 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 am

so I found this ingenious solution to my problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYrK7DOkCk

Or an old shoelace...

naylor343

by naylor343

I have been using wipperman 10 speed links on 11 speed for years, they work perfectly, no noise or any other problems. The only difference I have found between these and the 11 speed is the writing on the packaging and the price!

boysa

by boysa

I used KMC for years, first with Campagnolo 10 spd then with 11. I switched to Wipperman, however, sometime early last year. I prefer it over KMC. Seems quieter to me.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

kdawg

by kdawg

I just ordered a couple of KMC MissingLinks but just saw someone say that there are fake ones around.

Any idea how to tell the difference? One thing that caught my eye is that there is a typo on the packing - on the back in the caution section it says "MisingLink".

I'm left handed, if that matters.

szazbo

by szazbo

naylor343 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:40 pm
I have been using wipperman 10 speed links on 11 speed for years, they work perfectly, no noise or any other problems. The only difference I have found between these and the 11 speed is the writing on the packaging and the price!
i too have been using the 10 speed links on 11 speed, but have had a nagging problem when using the 13T cog on 2 different DA 11-28 casettes the DA chain would jump for no reason. under load. Chain had not reached its .5 wear yet. Finally remembered to check it out on the repair stand and it was at the 10 speed Connex link on the 11 speed system. The pins on the Connex link are ever so slighly longer and randomly the chain would move laterally and catch one of the shifting grooves on the 15T and cause the hop. Changed the link to a 11 speed Connex link and no more issues

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

slake21 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:17 am
slake21 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:25 pm
That's a pretty cool trick. I have the Park tool already and with it I can keep my hands clean. By the way, I've found that the Shimano quick link is much more difficult to snap in/out than the KMC link. It seems that Shimano is much more concerned about the links coming apart than KMC. One cannot open the Shimano links by hand. A tool such as the binder clip or a dedicated tool like the Park one I own is mandatory.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Get the Shimano Tool for the Shimano quick link. Both opening and closing is a breeze. Also, now that Shimano has their own quicklink I don’t know anyone would even consider using a 3rd party link.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

As I have already posted somewhere here a brand new Dura Ace chain now comes with a quick link. I pay $35 for the chain and you can't really beat that deal.

ps the part description is wrong but I can assure you the chain I recieved comes with one set of quick links

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... 1&minor=11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com