Trek Émonda 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, it does... but there was a good period of time where externally routed cables combined with ever increasing downtube diameters made the practice fade away somewhat because it became impossible to cross underneath the downtube. But now with the oversized tubes and internal routing it makes this type of routing even more desirable, functionally and aesthetically. And the emonda routing makes this especially easy...

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jeffy

by jeffy

Calnago, have you had any issues with paint rubbing off or other marks due to the same side entry of the rear brake?

anyone know the official launch date?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No problems with paint rubbing through, but I don't like that it even touches. It's only a matter of time and use. More importantly, I don't like the rather acute bends the cable has to make in order to get there, whereas it's a much smoother route from the right lever to the left side of the top tube. Of course, that works in reverse if you have your rear brake linked to the left shifter as in the UK (is that still as prevalent as ever over there?). I've often wondered why that was, and the only reason I could come up with is when riding on the left side of the road and turning to your right to look behind you etc., the "feather brake" is the rear, so if you're on the left side of the road looking to your right, your left hand is the one mostly in control, versus if you're riding on the right side of the road turning around to your left, then your right hand is where you want that feathered control. I don't know... but it's the only theory for the differences that I could ever think of. Sorry for the off topic, but if anyone has a better theory or knows if that's the reason or what the real reason is... I'd love to know for sure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Calnago, the only thing I would change on your bike is to give it to me. I love the build!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks... it's really a great bike, I'd like to try an Emonda SLR in my size some day, but it's just so damn light, and I'm not, that I have reservations how it would react on a technical and fast downhill with 200lbs of beastly ugliness on it. I've found super light bikes to feel very responsive, but not forgiving, almost brittle feeling. I'm happy with anything around the 7-7.5kg mark at my size. Even that Emonda SL I built up initially came in at under 6.8kg. It's very comfortable.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I love my old Madone 5. It's really similar to your Emonda, with the exception of the under BB brakes. I'm with you on the weight front: I was able to get that bike down to around 7.5kg, w/ DA9000, and it felt great, albeit, stiff. My new Madone 9 weighs about the same, but is more comfortable. I'm at 220lbs (working on getting lower, but I'm also 6'4"), and need a solid bike underfoot. That's why I loved my old Madone and love the new one (along with my Crockett).

Imaking20

by Imaking20

FIJIGabe wrote:
congbab wrote:Madon is more desirable than emonda.

Really, based on what? I love my Madone, but when climbing, I'd much rather have a lighter Emonda.

Lots of climbing in Texas, huh? :P

glepore

by glepore

Calnago wrote:No problems with paint rubbing through, but I don't like that it even touches. It's only a matter of time and use. More importantly, I don't like the rather acute bends the cable has to make in order to get there, whereas it's a much smoother route from the right lever to the left side of the top tube. Of course, that works in reverse if you have your rear brake linked to the left shifter as in the UK (is that still as prevalent as ever over there?). I've often wondered why that was, and the only reason I could come up with is when riding on the left side of the road and turning to your right to look behind you etc., the "feather brake" is the rear, so if you're on the left side of the road looking to your right, your left hand is the one mostly in control, versus if you're riding on the right side of the road turning around to your left, then your right hand is where you want that feathered control. I don't know... but it's the only theory for the differences that I could ever think of. Sorry for the off topic, but if anyone has a better theory or knows if that's the reason or what the real reason is... I'd love to know for sure.

Don't know the real reason, but it sure helps if you motorcycle a lot to have the front on the right hand. I suspect because most folks are right dominant it makes sense that way. I have two bikes set up the opposite way and it takes about 30 sec to adjust for the duration.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jeffy

by jeffy

basically all issues that America has been struggling with for the passed century have been largely a consequence of not using a moto-style bicycling braking configuration

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lol... I just had a feeling that was the problem here. I'm switching. :). Thanks!!

keith

by keith

Anyone seen anything of the disc version yet? Could be a good winter / wet bike :D
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyM

by TonyM

keith wrote:Anyone seen anything of the disc version yet? Could be a good winter / wet bike :D

See post #19 answering my same question:

spartan wrote:according the UCI two new emonda frames were approved rim and disc version on the 18 emonda.

stay tune for th official release eom.

a lot of new bikes

cervelo r5, bmc slr, specialized tarmac, trek emonda, shimano ultegra 8x, colnago vr2

keith

by keith

TonyM wrote:
keith wrote:Anyone seen anything of the disc version yet? Could be a good winter / wet bike :D

See post #19 answering my same question:

spartan wrote:according the UCI two new emonda frames were approved rim and disc version on the 18 emonda.

stay tune for th official release eom.

a lot of new bikes

cervelo r5, bmc slr, specialized tarmac, trek emonda, shimano ultegra 8x, colnago vr2

Yes, seen that thanks, and other rumours too. Same question though, has anyone actually seen one yet :)
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I am also looking for my rain/ winter bike and will most probably go for a Tarmac disc or a Canyon Endurance disc.
Would you prefer the Emonda over the tarmac or Endurance? if yes, why?