Trek Émonda 2018

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 5260
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

FIJIGabe wrote:...What I tell everyone is that with Trek, you're better off buying a complete bike and selling the parts versus buying the frameset. You usually get a better price on the components this way.
That pretty much goes with any complete bike. That's how I bought my Emonda SL, basically so I could get the white frame. It came with 105 components which I promptly replaced with Campy Super Record, except for the brakes due to the good clearance and I ultimately wanted full fenders underneath. It was a good deal. Except to this day those removed 105 components sit in my garage. I'm terrible at selling stuff.

by Weenie


FIJIGabe
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

by FIJIGabe

I didn't have that luxury w/ my Madone 9 (actually, I did, but I didn't tell my wife). I just moved the 6800 stuff off that bike, and put the 9000 stuff on my 9. Now I keep my Madone 5 on the trainer, and use it as a backup bike.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Delorre
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

Calnago wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:...What I tell everyone is that with Trek, you're better off buying a complete bike and selling the parts versus buying the frameset. You usually get a better price on the components this way.
That pretty much goes with any complete bike. That's how I bought my Emonda SL, basically so I could get the white frame. It came with 105 components which I promptly replaced with Campy Super Record, except for the brakes due to the good clearance and I ultimately wanted full fenders underneath. It was a good deal. Except to this day those removed 105 components sit in my garage. I'm terrible at selling stuff.


With that in mind, what would be the advice to get a H1 disc frameset (I have the Canyon as donor for all the other parts and Roval wheels to go on it). As I understand, an H1 disc bike always requires P1, and as far as I could play with it, only an slr9 can be ordered as disc in P1. And no way to downgrade the groupset to lower the price a bit. Only wheels and other components can be downgraded. Lowest I got it, was still 9000€.
So, isn't it not easier to order a H1 disc frameset (is P1 and price upgrade also needed for that?)

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

I got clarification from Trek about the pricing for US customers.

Project One Emonda SLR framesets start at $3499 regardless of the brake technology. The extra cost is for the labor. Also the seatmast is not included with either the stock or Project One frameset. Your minimum price for a Project One Emonda SLR frameset will be $3619 before tax or so.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

TobinHatesYou wrote:I got clarification from Trek about the pricing for US customers.

Project One Emonda SLR framesets start at $3499 regardless of the brake technology. The extra cost is for the labor. Also the seatmast is not included with either the stock or Project One frameset. Your minimum price for an Emonda SLR frameset will be $3619 before tax or so.


You mean lowest price for a Project One SLR. You could get a regular 'standard' frame for $500 less than you listed.

For regular SLR you could get away with $2999.99 for frameset + $120 for the seatmast topper.


http://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/pr ... 5218-1.htm

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/componen ... cap-p15909
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Note that I specified P1 at the beginning of the paragraph for context.

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

But note after that you jumped to stating 'your minimum price for an Emonda SLR frameset will be $3619 before tax or so.' The minimum price would be closer to $3120 before tax or so. Add another $500 for P1 if wanted. So yes, the price of a P1 Emonda SLR would be $3619 or so, but you can get one cheaper by going non-P1.
Last edited by 53x12 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Okay, I fixed it.

Geordiepaul
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 am

by Geordiepaul

I've just received my 2018 Project one.
H2 in 58cm. Frame 770g, fork 304g.

20170807_180958.jpg

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Nice, I thought about getting that color combo. Is that Trek or Crystal White? I wonder why my 54cm H1 in Trek Factory Racing colors weighed 760g.

Noctiluxx
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm
Location: Southern California

by Noctiluxx

Anyone ride the 2018 Emonda SLR? I wasn't too impressed with a 2017 model, though super light, it flexed quite a bit under heavy load.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Red)
2016 Specialized Allez DSW Sprint (Gold)

Geordiepaul
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 am

by Geordiepaul

TobinHatesYou wrote:Nice, I thought about getting that color combo. Is that Trek or Crystal White? I wonder why my 54cm H1 in Trek Factory Racing colors weighed 760g.


Disc frameset?

It's Trek white. Crystal white is metallic amd looks more cream than white

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

Geordiepaul wrote:
Disc frameset?

It's Trek white. Crystal white is metallic amd looks more cream than white


Yep, I got it about a week ago, putting it together tomorrow. They forgot to include the thru-axle bolts...

I suppose if 760-25= 735g sounds about right.

Geordiepaul
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 am

by Geordiepaul

Those thru axles will add a bit of weight if they're the same DT Swiss ones on my Domane

Delorre
Posts: 866
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

Geordiepaul wrote:Those thru axles will add a bit of weight if they're the same DT Swiss ones on my Domane


With a little chance, you can remove the handle, as with the DT's used by Canyon and others. An then, you end up with around 70gr for the set of axles.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post