Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 513 Next
 Post subject: Re: Trek Émonda 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:09 pm 

Yes, it does... but there was a good period of time where externally routed cables combined with ever increasing downtube diameters made the practice fade away somewhat because it became impossible to cross underneath the downtube. But now with the oversized tubes and internal routing it makes this type of routing even more desirable, functionally and aesthetically. And the emonda routing makes this especially easy...

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:12 pm 

Calnago, have you had any issues with paint rubbing off or other marks due to the same side entry of the rear brake?

anyone know the official launch date?

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:12 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:26 pm 

No problems with paint rubbing through, but I don't like that it even touches. It's only a matter of time and use. More importantly, I don't like the rather acute bends the cable has to make in order to get there, whereas it's a much smoother route from the right lever to the left side of the top tube. Of course, that works in reverse if you have your rear brake linked to the left shifter as in the UK (is that still as prevalent as ever over there?). I've often wondered why that was, and the only reason I could come up with is when riding on the left side of the road and turning to your right to look behind you etc., the "feather brake" is the rear, so if you're on the left side of the road looking to your right, your left hand is the one mostly in control, versus if you're riding on the right side of the road turning around to your left, then your right hand is where you want that feathered control. I don't know... but it's the only theory for the differences that I could ever think of. Sorry for the off topic, but if anyone has a better theory or knows if that's the reason or what the real reason is... I'd love to know for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 pm 

Calnago, the only thing I would change on your bike is to give it to me. I love the build!

Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN

Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, SpeedConcept, Cobia

I own a lot of Treks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:44 pm 

Thanks... it's really a great bike, I'd like to try an Emonda SLR in my size some day, but it's just so damn light, and I'm not, that I have reservations how it would react on a technical and fast downhill with 200lbs of beastly ugliness on it. I've found super light bikes to feel very responsive, but not forgiving, almost brittle feeling. I'm happy with anything around the 7-7.5kg mark at my size. Even that Emonda SL I built up initially came in at under 6.8kg. It's very comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:49 pm 

I love my old Madone 5. It's really similar to your Emonda, with the exception of the under BB brakes. I'm with you on the weight front: I was able to get that bike down to around 7.5kg, w/ DA9000, and it felt great, albeit, stiff. My new Madone 9 weighs about the same, but is more comfortable. I'm at 220lbs (working on getting lower, but I'm also 6'4"), and need a solid bike underfoot. That's why I loved my old Madone and love the new one (along with my Crockett).

Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN

Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, SpeedConcept, Cobia

I own a lot of Treks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:16 pm 

FIJIGabe wrote:
congbab wrote:
Madon is more desirable than emonda.

Really, based on what? I love my Madone, but when climbing, I'd much rather have a lighter Emonda.

Lots of climbing in Texas, huh? :P

Retired:
Project C6.0 | Felt AR FRD | Colnago C59 NERO | 2014 S-Works Tarmac | S-Works Venge | Wilier Cento Uno SL | Tarmac SL2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:48 am 

Calnago wrote:
No problems with paint rubbing through, but I don't like that it even touches. It's only a matter of time and use. More importantly, I don't like the rather acute bends the cable has to make in order to get there, whereas it's a much smoother route from the right lever to the left side of the top tube. Of course, that works in reverse if you have your rear brake linked to the left shifter as in the UK (is that still as prevalent as ever over there?). I've often wondered why that was, and the only reason I could come up with is when riding on the left side of the road and turning to your right to look behind you etc., the "feather brake" is the rear, so if you're on the left side of the road looking to your right, your left hand is the one mostly in control, versus if you're riding on the right side of the road turning around to your left, then your right hand is where you want that feathered control. I don't know... but it's the only theory for the differences that I could ever think of. Sorry for the off topic, but if anyone has a better theory or knows if that's the reason or what the real reason is... I'd love to know for sure.

Don't know the real reason, but it sure helps if you motorcycle a lot to have the front on the right hand. I suspect because most folks are right dominant it makes sense that way. I have two bikes set up the opposite way and it takes about 30 sec to adjust for the duration.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:57 am 

basically all issues that America has been struggling with for the passed century have been largely a consequence of not using a moto-style bicycling braking configuration

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:12 am 

Lol... I just had a feeling that was the problem here. I'm switching. :). Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:50 am 

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/gal ... eam-issue/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:19 am 

Anyone seen anything of the disc version yet? Could be a good winter / wet bike :D

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson

Post subject: Trek Émonda 2018
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:33 pm 

keith wrote:
Anyone seen anything of the disc version yet? Could be a good winter / wet bike :D

See post #19 answering my same question:

spartan wrote:
according the UCI two new emonda frames were approved rim and disc version on the 18 emonda.

stay tune for th official release eom.

a lot of new bikes

cervelo r5, bmc slr, specialized tarmac, trek emonda, shimano ultegra 8x, colnago vr2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:14 pm 

TonyM wrote:
keith wrote:

See post #19 answering my same question:

spartan wrote:
according the UCI two new emonda frames were approved rim and disc version on the 18 emonda.

stay tune for th official release eom.

a lot of new bikes

cervelo r5, bmc slr, specialized tarmac, trek emonda, shimano ultegra 8x, colnago vr2

Yes, seen that thanks, and other rumours too. Same question though, has anyone actually seen one yet :)

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:25 pm 

I am also looking for my rain/ winter bike and will most probably go for a Tarmac disc or a Canyon Endurance disc.
Would you prefer the Emonda over the tarmac or Endurance? if yes, why?

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:25 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 513 Next