Trek Émonda 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

Delorre wrote:How is the handling of the SLR? Stable, neutral or rather quick and twitchy? I ask because in most reviews, there is, as usually, only praise for the whole behaviour of the bike, but the reviewers of granfondo-cycling.com seem to find the handling way too quick and not confidence inspiring. When a mag or website writes something bad about à bike, it has to be really bad, otherwise, they wouldn't have talked about, or rave about the handling. So, you guys currently owning an SLR in a rather large size (56 f.ex), how is the thing handling? Is it stiff enough?

The previous generation SLR reviews talked about how it was quick handling and rode like one size smaller than it was. Never read anyone complain that it wasn't stiff enough, however there were some that complained it wasn't smooth/comfortable enough over more rough roads.

Hopefully as more of the new generation Emondas get out there, we will hear some more reviews.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

Is anyone else confused why H1 fit seems to be extinct unless you go Project one now. Is it really only just due to demand?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

Delorre wrote:How is the handling of the SLR? Stable, neutral or rather quick and twitchy? I ask because in most reviews, there is, as usually, only praise for the whole behaviour of the bike, but the reviewers of granfondo-cycling.com seem to find the handling way too quick and not confidence inspiring. When a mag or website writes something bad about à bike, it has to be really bad, otherwise, they wouldn't have talked about, or rave about the handling. So, you guys currently owning an SLR in a rather large size (56 f.ex), how is the thing handling? Is it stiff enough?

from grandfondo review
the relatively nervous handling does ask for more concentration at all times and requires an experienced hand to maneuver. Perhaps that’s where the H2 geometry suits less-experienced riders more.

This could be appealing to certain racers, but we felt it was a little too extreme and we yearned for the H2 geometry version!

So the reviewer seems to think that the H2 geometry would be more stable, when the only difference would be the stem length (for the same position)

.... me thinks the review was looking for something to say, like so many reviews.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, the only difference between an H1 Emonda and an H2 Emonda is the headtube length.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jeffy

by jeffy

... will be interested to hear how the new Emonda handles. Emonda SLR or TCR SL is a tempting prospect for me. I would have thought that of the two the Emonda was more likely the lesser "overly twitchy race bike" of the two, just based on general perceptions...... Colnangos view that the Emonda handles similarly to the C60, and the obvious reputation of the C60.... etc.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I'm going to do a build thread very soon on the Koppenberg. Yes, I've had one of these rarities since end of last year. I was so impressed with my H2 Emonda that I was going to replace it with the Koppenberg as my "rain bike", but once I had it I just couldn't slap fenders on it. It was Cancellara's bike of choice for the Grand Tours. Identical geometry to Emonda H1, yet it was labelled as a Domane "Team Issue'. Fact is, it's really an Emonda on steroids, and distant cousin to the Domane if you ask me. The thing is a beast. The newest Emonda even shares a lot of the lines, although a little more subtely, with the Koppenberg. It is heavy by design, extra layups, steel non replaceable derailleur hanger, etc... just solid solid solid, so in that regard it's about as far away from the ultra light SLR Emonda as you could get. About the same weight as my C60. Handling wise, it should react similarly to the new Emonda, although it does have the isospeed rear technology but it is hard to notice it on the road. It is quicker handling up front for sure than the Colnagos, but very very precise. I'll have much more to say soon. Been riding it a lot lately. Along with my Colnagos for comparison sake. Have to say that the light weight of the new Emonda would scare me a bit being heavier myself. But the Koppenberg gives me all the confidence in the world, probably a bit too much for my own good. I'm still feeling the effects of last year's crash.

Teaser, but full thread to follow.... it's a 60 H1 geometry by the way, two centimeters of spacers puts me at the same fit as my Colnagos, and doesn't look odd either... well, except for the Campy build next to the huge Shimano logos plastered on the frame. Ha, it's a conversation starter.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

That is a beauty Cal. They were on closeout for a while here. I'm gutted I missed out. Currently eyeing up the newer Domane SLR in the pro-endurance fit which appears to be even more aggressive than the H1. Good new is they now offer it in Disc, so it may become my training bike.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That new Pro Endurance fit is nothing like the H1. It is the old Classics fit that they did to make the standard Domane fit for Paris Roubaix when it first came out, some years back. Long wheelbase. Low Bottom bracket, slack headtube angle coupled with big fork offset, etc., it is really made for going fast over boulders in a straight line. It is definitely not the tight road geometry of the Emonda, or the Koppenberg above. So many get these models confused. In fact, last year (2016) during the Classics when I saw the direction Trek was going with the new RSL Domane (not to be confused with the "SLR" typo you made above) it pretty much made my mind up that I would need to pick up one of these Koppenberg framesets before they were gone. I will go into all sorts of detail in the build thread to come, discussing the differences etc.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Yeah looking at the Geo charts the Pro endurance on the SLR is a massive drop in headtube (18 vs 16.6 cm in the 60cm). I was familiar with the other Domane The Koppenburg vs the Classics. Looks like the classics became pro-endurance. Anyway good score on the Koppenburg, that Trek team colour way is awesome. Looking forward to the thread.

Seedster

by Seedster

@Calnago

I would love to hear more about trek build and how you easily campagnolo was for setup. I would love to put EPS on a Madone and keep the wires hidden...but an emonda slr9 isnt a bad compromise either

hlvd

by hlvd

jeffy wrote:... will be interested to hear how the new Emonda handles. Emonda SLR or TCR SL is a tempting prospect for me. I would have thought that of the two the Emonda was more likely the lesser "overly twitchy race bike" of the two, just based on general perceptions...... Colnangos view that the Emonda handles similarly to the C60, and the obvious reputation of the C60.... etc.

I've both frames, and too be honest I'm not sure if I can tell the difference between them, the ALR is that good.
Infact, I'm still riding it into the summer, my SL summer bike still unused :D

53x12

by 53x12

Anyone have a local dealer with the new Emonda in stock and get to test ride one yet?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I ordered an H1 Emonda SLR Disc frameset in Trek Factory Racing colors 9 days ago. It'll probably arrive sometime this week. Project One colors are all kinda meh this time around. I wish Trek paint was as striking and original as Specialized's, but alas... I ended up settling on the Trek team colors because that specific red isn't available otherwise.

53x12 wrote:Anyone have a local dealer with the new Emonda in stock and get to test ride one yet?

I got to pick up a 2018 Emonda SLR 8 at my local dealer. They ordered one 54cm, 56cm and 58cm. The 56cm must have been 14lbs stock.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

TobinHatesYou wrote:I ordered an H1 Emonda SLR Disc frameset in Trek Factory Racing colors 9 days ago. It'll probably arrive sometime this week. Project One colors are all kinda meh this time around. I wish Trek paint was as striking and original as Specialized's, but alas... I ended up settling on the Trek team colors because that specific red isn't available otherwise.

The team red is "Viper Red" in Project One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hmm, you're right. Not sure how I missed that. Either way it would have cost $500 extra to create a similar paint scheme.

A couple of other random notes. the price of the disc frameset is $3499 rather than $2999 for the stock RSL rim brake frame. When you configure the frameset through the dealer interface, the seatmast cap is also an extra $120 on top of that $3499.