What happened to Look bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boysa

by boysa

No kidding. What you're guys describe is very attractive indeed.

Perhaps we should organize a WW "group buy" of Look!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I have a KG86 TVT.. purely Eroica material ..
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

flying

by flying

boysa wrote:No kidding. What you're guys describe is very attractive indeed.

Perhaps we should organize a WW "group buy" of Look!

I thought it might be interesting to get the USA importers impression on this topic.
He came & read and then sent a nice reply/email
He also agreed but said yes his older lugged Looks are now wall trophies as only monoblocs are made.

But he would also forward message to Look
I also emailed Look France today with a link to this topic.
Feedback is always good I think & you never know maybe Look has also seen
Colnago, Time, Parlee etc. continued success with lug & tube carbon & will also consider
a return.
:noidea:

I would 100% once again be a Look frame customer :beerchug:

flying

by flying

BTW: If someone wants....A 2006 new White 585 Credit Agricole frame in 57cm
RA has one for a nice price imho @ 1200
https://www.racycles.com/outlet/road/lo ... cole-11540

53x12

by 53x12

^ Darn, if that was a size medium instead of a size XL I would be all over that like white on rice.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

flying

by flying

53x12 wrote:^ Darn, if that was a size medium instead of a size XL I would be all over that like white on rice.

hahah me too :thumbup:

maxxevv

by maxxevv

53x12 wrote:^ Darn, if that was a size medium instead of a size XL I would be all over that like white on rice.

Hahaha.... same thoughts too!!

But to be frank, I really do miss my old 585 for the 5~6 years of good riding I had with it. But I really wish it had the front end of the 595 that was nicely beefed up and somewhat felt more confident. But the 595 didn't have the spritely ride feel of the 585 as far as memory served me.

Bring back the 585 as a ride package, feel and all just tighten up the steering. No need for fancy elastomer shock absorbers.
A good carbon post and quality 25c tyres make a greater difference. ( I didn't like the ergo post on my 595 as it made adjustments such a pain and rear wheel feedback can be vague at times. )

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Funny reading so much of this. Have been thinking about buying a new bike for years now, but can't still find anything other than the C60 to even remotely tempt me.

Ideal?
Bring back a lighter version of the 595 Ultra, with less logos, in white like the first couple of years, lugged the same, electronic shifting ready, and I'd order one on the spot!! No brake or crank integration. I do like their stems though.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Seems like Look answered this thread.

With the 785 Huez and Huez RS

53x12

by 53x12

maxxevv wrote:Seems like Look answered this thread.

Except for not being lugged carbon.....
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

c60rider

by c60rider

dgasmd wrote:Funny reading so much of this. Have been thinking about buying a new bike for years now, but can't still find anything other than the C60 to even remotely tempt me.

Ideal?
Bring back a lighter version of the 595 Ultra, with less logos, in white like the first couple of years, lugged the same, electronic shifting ready, and I'd order one on the spot!! No brake or crank integration. I do like their stems though.

+1 totally on this. And that's why I ended up buying a C60 myself earlier this year. Still would buy the C60 over the 785.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

53x12 wrote:

End of the day, its not about lugged or monocoque construction.

Its about the ride quality of the bike. Its as old as lugged steel versus TIG steel.

As long as it rides good, construction methods are secondary.

53x12

by 53x12

maxxevv wrote:
53x12 wrote:

Its about the ride quality of the bike. Its as old as lugged steel versus TIG steel.

Disagree. It is about construction method and that is why people are still talking about the 585 and 595, TIME RXRS and why people still buy the C60 over the V2-R or Concept. Even used C50/C59s are popular. Construction method truly does matter.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

+1 on the addition of the Huez and Huez RS (which Fortuneo-Vital Concept sound like they'll use in the mountains). The lack of flexibility in building up a 675 or 795 are absolute dealbreakers for a lot of people. I think this frame will be pretty popular. (photo from the team's IG)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

53x12 wrote:
maxxevv wrote:
53x12 wrote:

Disagree. It is about construction method and that is why people are still talking about the 585 and 595, TIME RXRS and why people still buy the C60 over the V2-R or Concept. Even used C50/C59s are popular. Construction method truly does matter.

We no longer deal with homogeneous carbon layers or tubes anymore. Construction methods are no longer the be all and end all of things.

I can assure you, given a blind test, you won't be able to tell the difference with modern bikes.

And as jbaillie pointed out, its the integration of parts that turned people away from Look. They were a pain to live with.
But having ridden the 586 and the 695 monocoques, they were great riding bikes too. But the custom parts were a big turnoff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com