Found a crack! [pic]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

tranzformer wrote:What a useless post after OP already stated 5 posts above yours that he figured out it was the seat post. Why would you even quote and respond to the first post when OP already figured out what caused it and is past trying to figure out what caused it? Sheesh.

I responded when I read the first post, because it was so obvious what had happened to anyone who had two eyes. But the OP hadn't figured it out, he'd needed someone to tell him because (sorry Shrike) he's clearly a bit special in the mechanical sense. So better to mention it than potentially keep him in the dark. Did you read the bit about him learning that the torque on a seatpost was 8nm not 12nm? Who do you think told him that? Think you'll find it was me. Sorry about that, I guess it would have been better to let him crush a few more seatposts then make a complete tit out of himself by suing Cervelo over ser error, like he said he was going to.

Whereas bitching about two people saying the same thing? Wow, that's not pointless at all. No way, you just did important work here on the internet today. Keep it up! 8)

Shrike wrote:Of course I'm going to check it regularly until I get it fixed after the summer. Goes without saying.

Dude, when it comes to you and your questions about absolutely freakin' everything, nothing goes without saying.

newforker

by newforker

Happens all the time with Cervelo's. Not really an issue of the wedge being under-torqued, you really gotta crank those *f##k* down..waaaay above torque.

Wouldnt worry about it to be honest, not a high stress area and not likely to spread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Awful lot of snark from someone who just broke his frame because he didn't clamp his seat post properly. But hey, internet points, right?

The important thing is no one got hurt and we all know how many chainrings we each have.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I don't know how you people have your seat posts slip..... when I get mine the way I like it, I run a couple of sheet-metal screws through the frame into the post. Pre-drill for a clean fit. Titanium screws, for weight-weening.

With ti screws, you can toss the seat collar, shaving grams AND looking slick.

File the screw heads to save weight and get aero. You're never removing them anyway!

;)

Shrike

by Shrike

wingguy wrote:
tranzformer wrote:What a useless post after OP already stated 5 posts above yours that he figured out it was the seat post. Why would you even quote and respond to the first post when OP already figured out what caused it and is past trying to figure out what caused it? Sheesh.

I responded when I read the first post, because it was so obvious what had happened to anyone who had two eyes. But the OP hadn't figured it out, he'd needed someone to tell him because (sorry Shrike) he's clearly a bit special in the mechanical sense. So better to mention it than potentially keep him in the dark. Did you read the bit about him learning that the torque on a seatpost was 8nm not 12nm? Who do you think told him that? Think you'll find it was me. Sorry about that, I guess it would have been better to let him crush a few more seatposts then make a complete tit out of himself by suing Cervelo over ser error, like he said he was going to.

Whereas bitching about two people saying the same thing? Wow, that's not pointless at all. No way, you just did important work here on the internet today. Keep it up! 8)

Shrike wrote:Of course I'm going to check it regularly until I get it fixed after the summer. Goes without saying.

Dude, when it comes to you and your questions about absolutely freakin' everything, nothing goes without saying.

This guy takes himself too seriously. I make an obvious joke about suing Cervelo for my seatoost cracking and he's bring it up here like I'm actually going to sue them. The thread was about doing a self-repair :lol:

Shrike wrote: Initial response was to sue Cervelo to the balls. By time I got home I figured I'd just get some glue or something instead.

Who on earth would sue a company over a £130 cracked seatpost. More time in the real world and less on the internet being a forum warrior. Puerile internet point scoring nonsense. What is problem anyway, underachiever personality type? Lighten up and stop talking balls.

It was Cervelo who told me that the seatpost was 8 not 12.

Not you.

Adrian Boma-Fischer
Attachments 8 May

to me ,
It looks like this damage is the result of over-tightening the clamp.

The clamp should be tightened to a maximum of 8Nm, not 12 (see page 49 of the attached Owner's Manual)

Adrian Boma-Fischer | CS | Technical support

Toll Free: 1-866-Cervelo
Phone: 1-416-425-9517 ext. 239
Fax: 1-416-425-6795

Sorry where exactly did you tell me about the seatpost torque? Just making up internet points now instead of scoring them? This is your only 'contribution to that thread. :lol:

wingguy wrote:
Shrike wrote:Initial response was to sue Cervelo to the balls.....

...Torque seemed to work too, using 12nm.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Kids these days :lol:

sungod wrote:if the cracked area is above the top of the seat tube

It's not above the top of the seattube, it's where the wedge clamp has crushed the carbon through overtightening.
Last edited by Shrike on Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Shrike

by Shrike

kkibbler wrote:Awful lot of snark from someone who just broke his frame because he didn't clamp his seat post properly. But hey, internet points, right?

The important thing is no one got hurt and we all know how many chainrings we each have.

Snark, really? I mean that's basically all you do on this forum. :lol:

Little self-awareness please.

Shrike

by Shrike

newforker wrote:Happens all the time with Cervelo's. Not really an issue of the wedge being under-torqued, you really gotta crank those *f##k* down..waaaay above torque.

Wouldnt worry about it to be honest, not a high stress area and not likely to spread.

Yeah I've been on the Cervelo forums since this reading the threads there and it does look like this has been an issue with this seatpost/seattube design since way back. Seems some guys do warranty it. I won't bother, I know it's my bad and the repair job is cheap enough. Had a quote yesterday night. The repair guy spotted right away it's a seatpost puncture, so clearly again, nothing new or unusual about the issue. Not fussed, got a new derailleur hanger on last night and ready to roll again :P

[quote=carbonbikerepair]Hi,
Usually it is a seat post puncture but could have been a shape object. Same problem though. Usually to repair that will cost £120- 150 + vat. Hard to say until inspected[/quote]

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Shrike wrote:
kkibbler wrote:Awful lot of snark from someone who just broke his frame because he didn't clamp his seat post properly. But hey, internet points, right?

I also haven't broken my own frame, so. /shrug

Shrike

by Shrike

kkibbler wrote:
Shrike wrote:[quote="kkibbler"]Awful lot of snark from someone who just broke his frame because he didn't clamp his seat post properly. But hey, internet points, right?

I also haven't broken my own frame, so. /shrug[/quote]

I have, yet still /shrug.

Snark quota done for the day. Job well done? :)

BRM

by BRM

The world according Shrike . . . :mrgreen:
Each day something new. Using WW as a diary.

Are you sure it is no bullethole?
From someone that is sick and tired of you?

:lol:

wingguy

by wingguy

Shrike wrote: More time in the real world and less on the internet being a forum warrior. Puerile internet point scoring nonsense. What is problem anyway, underachiever personality type? Lighten up and stop talking balls.

Overcompensating much? :lol:

Could have sworn I posted the 8nm info in that paste. Must have typed it out then decided you were too clueless to waste the effort on. As I think pretty much everyone else on here is also realising :unbelievable:

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Shrike, if you're looking to do this as a DIY repair, I can send you some carbon fiber fabric, if you don't mind me folding it. I have plenty left over from my repair.

If I was doing yours, I'd tape off a section around the hole, over to the edges, and an inch or so above and below.

Then I'd hand-sand in long swipes, trying to shave a "scarf" away from the hole in each direction.

Cut about 10 pieces of carbon fiber. Use resin to cover each piece, then use the roller-method from my thread, making one thick 10-layer "band-aid".

Apply resin to the frame, slap the band-aid on there, then wrap it all up tight using electrical tape.

Let it dry, sand smooth. I found using electric tape over areas I wanted to protect from resin, or from sanding works pretty well.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

The "scarfing" around the hole would be like this, but not so extreme. You want plenty of surface area from the bottom of the hole, to the top. Like a wide, shallow funnel opening.

Keep in mind. I'm NOT an expert at all! Just a guy who has done some home-work with carbon fiber.

Some more pics to describe what I'm talking about:

My repair was "external", yours would be "scarf". So close to the tire, you can't afford to have your repair sit higher than the original contour of the frame.

Pics from http://content.aviation-safety-bureau.c ... apter7.php

alditriwibowo1003

by alditriwibowo1003

Cracked paint or carbon ,
in the hole showing the cracked paint that has been removedImage

Sent from my ASUS_Z00VD using Tapatalk

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

^^^ That is cracked carbon fiber. You'd not likely get enough flex to crack the finish like that, without having compromised the carbon fiber.

The fiber is probably not fully cracked, just weakened.

Push on it with your thumb, while feeling near the crack. Does it move? Don't be afraid to push a little hard. Better to have it pop now, than when you're riding.

What tube is that? How did the damage happen?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com