Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 am 

I wonder if the pros berate other riders for a creaking bottom bracket in tours like TdF. Do mechanics change the BB every stage? Just wondering...

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:54 pm 

I'm sure it happens occasionally but they have pro mechanics unlike the hacks you get at the local bike store so they probably tend to get it right the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 pm 

Nowadays, my bb only creaks after the accumulation of many miles.
The more likely culprit comes from the cassette.
That would strike me as hilarious to see footage of a TdF rider creaking away up a climb.
Bonus laughter to get berated by a fellow rider or spectator. OMG I'd like to see that!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 pm 

I did neutral bottle support for a race that some of the USPS boys used to come down for in the late 1990s. Mainly Vandevelde, Hincapie and Hamilton along with a few other lesser known riders. I am sure they brought their training bikes with them and weren't too fussed with them judging by the care they seemed to have gotten. Every time I would encounter Hincapie I would look down at his cranks and gears to see if his bike was falling apart such was the racket emanating from his bike. It didn't seem to bother him at all - he won at a canter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:27 pm 

I would guess if the bigger stars complained about it enough, then the pro mechanics would use a more permanent solution. Such as red Loctite or epoxy around the parts that are creaking. They have more or less an unlimited amount of frames and parts to use and don't care if they are thrown out after a week or so. I suspect if Froome went to the mechanic and said, "My frame creaks. Make it stop." The next day the frame would not creak.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:03 am 

AJS914 wrote:
I'm sure it happens occasionally but they have pro mechanics unlike the hacks you get at the local bike store so they probably tend to get it right the first time.

You are giving some of the team mechanics too much credit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:59 am 

chipomarc wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

Quoted for truth.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:37 pm 

wheelbuilder wrote:
chipomarc wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

Quoted for truth.

:beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:03 am 

jlok wrote:
I wonder if the pros berate other riders for a creaking bottom bracket in tours like TdF. Do mechanics change the BB every stage? Just wondering...

I worked the 1991 Tour as a general helper for Team Z. I saw that pro riders do had all kinds of problems, like we do. But it is just like RussellS says, when the guys came to complain to the mechanics about an issue, it got resolved pretty quick!

In recent times, you see it all on TV. How many problems did Froome had in this years Tour? Besides, the pros are not followed by a mechanic entourage the entire year! Some of them do know how to work on their bikes and they depend on the local shop mechanic as well. The thing is they may get a new BB at the local shop! There is no time to waste fixing a problem. They need to train all the time!

..A..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:37 am 

I thought the pro bikes are taken care 100% by team mechanics. Now that's why the LBS are important :) Very interesting @avispa, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 am 

Apart from the fact that pro bike parts only look like the parts consumers can buy most of the pro bikes I see are way less well assembled than bikes I do. Main factor is time, a lot is over torqued and press fit bb’s glued in wirt loads ok 2k bonds (seen a lot of framesets with bb damage after removal)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 am