Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sooni

by sooni

Has anyone received info about a non setback seatpost? The 51cm with 73.5 degree seat tube angle has my saddle pushed to forward to the limit! Short femurs...

I am not sure if the lower section of the seatpost clamp can be reversed, although it is removable. Havent heard back from BMC.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

TimW wrote:Can't seem to find it anywhere in the UK. If you can point me to someone who can sell one to me would be grateful!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ok, I understand now. Contact BMC in Switzerland and I am sure they will help you (their customer service is supposed to be very good; They always replied very effiencetly to all my questions).

Otherwise go for a K-Edge so that at least it is nicely in the middle of your handlebar and very stable (the quality of K-Edge is by far the best).

Aya

by Aya

I think they did a good job of changing the split top tube shape to the new unified one. I have no idea about performance change but I like new frame design except 2018 color.

Drizt

by Drizt

sooni wrote:Has anyone received info about a non setback seatpost? The 51cm with 73.5 degree seat tube angle has my saddle pushed to forward to the limit! Short femurs...

I am not sure if the lower section of the seatpost clamp can be reversed, although it is removable. Havent heard back from BMC.
End of February release for zero offset seatpost

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hahaboy

by Hahaboy

i m 173cm height , dealer told me i should take size51 for my size ?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hahaboy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:06 am
i m 173cm height , dealer told me i should take size51 for my size ?
Generally I’d say that’s the right place to start if you’re a strong/fast rider. Depends on a number of variables though.

Hahaboy

by Hahaboy

now i'm riding top tube 515 bike, ftp around 200w, now looking for bmc slr01, so i hope that i can get a right size for myself

ryzy

by ryzy

ODC wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:36 pm
Pfft i'm going from the one problem to the other with my new BMC...

First had a lot of problems with brake rub with my new 4.5 enve wheels (those are sended back to ENVE and they will check what is the problem with the wheels).
Then i had a vibrating feeling in my crank and pedals. For sure on the drive side. Vibrating feeling is still a little bit there after rinding more then 50 hours on the bike.
And since today i have a ticking noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBQbq7dvbKk

Dammit this bike is cursed!
Hi. Any pic of your current setup with the enve wheels? :D

rynogee

by rynogee

anyone care to comment (from experience or by estimation) how painful it's going to be to travel with this bike given use of the integrated stem?

seems to me various wire or hose lengths need to be very exact to get the integration correct, but then taking the bars off (from the stem faceplate? or better from the steerer?) and moving them around enough to get it into a bike box or bag is going to be a total PITA (or not possible). Is it also a pain to service the headset (i live somewhere pretty wet, hence want to be cleaning it often in winter)

Also wondering if it is feasible to run mechanical shifting through the integrated stem, or will the bends just be way too tight?

And can anyone comment on the pricing they got frame only for (in whatever currency you paid?)

TonyM

by TonyM

BMC stated that it is not possible to use mech. in this hydraulic setup because it would bent to much.

Travelling by air in a hard case will be a challenge indeed!

stormur

by stormur

Welcome to the world of "integration" :mrgreen:

Look this year went back on own road and de-integrated 795, new 785 came also without this BS.

Simplicity is an ultimate sophistication ( L.DaVinci ).
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

So difficult to consider travelling/repairs on these fully integrated bikes. I remember building our shops first Madone 9 series with mechanical. There were three of us and it took about 4 hours of slow steady work. Efficiency and ease were developed over time, but as an end user, I cannot imagine the nightmare that would be bar removal or cable/housing replacement. These bikes are challenging to say the least. Even with electronic.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

bilwit

by bilwit

rynogee wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 pm
anyone care to comment (from experience or by estimation) how painful it's going to be to travel with this bike given use of the integrated stem?

seems to me various wire or hose lengths need to be very exact to get the integration correct, but then taking the bars off (from the stem faceplate? or better from the steerer?) and moving them around enough to get it into a bike box or bag is going to be a total PITA (or not possible). Is it also a pain to service the headset (i live somewhere pretty wet, hence want to be cleaning it often in winter)

Also wondering if it is feasible to run mechanical shifting through the integrated stem, or will the bends just be way too tight?

And can anyone comment on the pricing they got frame only for (in whatever currency you paid?)
I got my frame for $4299USD ($4729.99USD after taxes)

In my case, it took some digging to find a dealer who would sell me the white frame (not sold frame-only by BMC). They were kind enough to include all the integrated bits for mechanical/electronic (minus the integrated stem) and even threw in the saddle+handlebars (didn't end up using either) and a CeramicSpeed BB 8).

rynogee

by rynogee

interesting. the travel issue is a deal breaker for me. might have to consider it without the integrated stem, or something else.

does the carbon & construction used change in the lower spec complete bikes, or it's all the same where its labeled slr01? the mechanical ultegra could be an option for me, doesn't look from the pics that it runs any integration.

although I find the external cable run on the chain stay kind of odd. not sure why they did that. not ideal for wet

TonyM

by TonyM

Only the disc brake version of the SLR01 has this fully integrated cockpit. If you go with the rim brake version for your SLR01 you have a „regular“ stem with brake hoses outside etc...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com