Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rynogee

by rynogee

bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:42 am
rynogee wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 pm
anyone care to comment (from experience or by estimation) how painful it's going to be to travel with this bike given use of the integrated stem?

seems to me various wire or hose lengths need to be very exact to get the integration correct, but then taking the bars off (from the stem faceplate? or better from the steerer?) and moving them around enough to get it into a bike box or bag is going to be a total PITA (or not possible). Is it also a pain to service the headset (i live somewhere pretty wet, hence want to be cleaning it often in winter)

Also wondering if it is feasible to run mechanical shifting through the integrated stem, or will the bends just be way too tight?

And can anyone comment on the pricing they got frame only for (in whatever currency you paid?)
I got my frame for $4299USD ($4729.99USD after taxes)

In my case, it took some digging to find a dealer who would sell me the white frame (not sold frame-only by BMC). They were kind enough to include all the integrated bits for mechanical/electronic (minus the integrated stem) and even threw in the saddle+handlebars (didn't end up using either) and a CeramicSpeed BB 8).
I see your setup is mechanical shifting. Do you have to route the shift cable under the chainstay, or can it also be routed internal where the electronic line would have gone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alex2012

by Alex2012

rynogee wrote:
anyone care to comment (from experience or by estimation) how painful it's going to be to travel with this bike given use of the integrated stem?

seems to me various wire or hose lengths need to be very exact to get the integration correct, but then taking the bars off (from the stem faceplate? or better from the steerer?) and moving them around enough to get it into a bike box or bag is going to be a total PITA (or not possible). Is it also a pain to service the headset (i live somewhere pretty wet, hence want to be cleaning it often in winter)

Also wondering if it is feasible to run mechanical shifting through the integrated stem, or will the bends just be way too tight?

And can anyone comment on the pricing they got frame only for (in whatever currency you paid?)
There are two main obstacles I’ve encountered traveling with this bike in relation to the integrated front-end, firstly is the wedges that ‘round’ the steerer tube off before clamping the stem over the combination. These don’t slip in easily and the second one requires a reasonable amount of force to get it to slide in, not something I’d want to be doing regularly when travelling but not impossible. The bigger problem is the hydraulic hose, if you run the hoses through the bar (I’ve done so with the Enve Aero Road bar) and the into the stem you can’t build enough slack in to allow you to fold the bars down against the frame to pack it up.

I was in need of a new bike bag anyway so resorted to picking up a Scicon Aerocomfort so I don’t have to worry about removing the bars for travel. The problem I then encountered (this is specific to the disc version) is that the thru-axle adapter that comes with the bag won’t work as the entry point on the inside of the frame is sunken in and the adapter needs to be flush with the frame. So I resorted to using stiff rubber washers instead which worked nicely. The only other issue is that the long cage Dura Ace mech is too long to fit in the bag when mounted on the bags metal frame so I had to remove it (the mech) for travel.

All that aside, incredibly happy with the bike!

Conza

by Conza

Alex2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 am
There are two main obstacles I’ve encountered traveling with this bike in relation to the integrated front-end, firstly is the wedges that ‘round’ the steerer tube off before clamping the stem over the combination. These don’t slip in easily and the second one requires a reasonable amount of force to get it to slide in, not something I’d want to be doing regularly when travelling but not impossible. The bigger problem is the hydraulic hose, if you run the hoses through the bar (I’ve done so with the Enve Aero Road bar) and the into the stem you can’t build enough slack in to allow you to fold the bars down against the frame to pack it up.

I was in need of a new bike bag anyway so resorted to picking up a Scicon Aerocomfort so I don’t have to worry about removing the bars for travel. The problem I then encountered (this is specific to the disc version) is that the thru-axle adapter that comes with the bag won’t work as the entry point on the inside of the frame is sunken in and the adapter needs to be flush with the frame. So I resorted to using stiff rubber washers instead which worked nicely. The only other issue is that the long cage Dura Ace mech is too long to fit in the bag when mounted on the bags metal frame so I had to remove it (the mech) for travel.

Thanks for that. I hadn't really thought ahead about travelling with it. Waiting for it to be built at the moment. Ok using a bike box? Thoughts? :o
It's all about the adventure :o .

bilwit

by bilwit

rynogee wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 am
bilwit wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:42 am
rynogee wrote:

I got my frame for $4299USD ($4729.99USD after taxes)

In my case, it took some digging to find a dealer who would sell me the white frame (not sold frame-only by BMC). They were kind enough to include all the integrated bits for mechanical/electronic (minus the integrated stem) and even threw in the saddle+handlebars (didn't end up using either) and a CeramicSpeed BB 8).
I see your setup is mechanical shifting. Do you have to route the shift cable under the chainstay, or can it also be routed internal where the electronic line would have gone?
You have to route (and expose) it under the chainstay, it's the exact same as the old Teammachine.

ThunderJack07

by ThunderJack07

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to buy the new SLR01 three and upgrade it myself to Ultegra 8050 di2. I'm just not sure about the location of the di2 battery in this frame. According to the previous Teammachine user's manual, there was some foam inside the bottom of the seat post where the battery could be screwed in with some BMC adapter. To the new slr01 users, do you know if this foam is still present on the seat post of the new frameset ?

Thanks!
Attachments
Di2 battery adapter
Di2 battery adapter
BMC Teammachine SLR01 - MY18 - 6.87kg
S-Works Venge Disc - MY21 - 7.07kg

Alex2012

by Alex2012

Conza wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:22 pm
Alex2012 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks for that. I hadn't really thought ahead about travelling with it. Waiting for it to be built at the moment. Ok using a bike box? Thoughts? :o
You may struggle, there’s no slack to move the stem particularly far from the head tube. You’ve only really got the length of the hose under the cover on the stem and anything running through spacers as slack. You’d need a box with a decent amount of space around the front end of the bike I’d say.

Alex2012

by Alex2012

ThunderJack07 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to buy the new SLR01 three and upgrade it myself to Ultegra 8050 di2. I'm just not sure about the location of the di2 battery in this frame. According to the previous Teammachine user's manual, there was some foam inside the bottom of the seat post where the battery could be screwed in with some BMC adapter. To the new slr01 users, do you know if this foam is still present on the seat post of the new frameset ?

Thanks!
It’s identitcal to the previous Teammachine. Foam filled seat post and a screw to hold the battery in place.

ThunderJack07

by ThunderJack07

Alex2012 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:23 pm
ThunderJack07 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 pm
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
It’s identitcal to the previous Teammachine. Foam filled seat post and a screw to hold the battery in place.
Thanks for the confirmation :)
BMC Teammachine SLR01 - MY18 - 6.87kg
S-Works Venge Disc - MY21 - 7.07kg

Conza

by Conza

Mech took this pick, so few transgressions :oops: .

First ride; so stiff! So good. Looking to slam stem obviously. And potentially DA PM in the future, with DA rotors.

Wondering if you need the DA calipers as well to get benefit? :shock:

rynogee

by rynogee

not that looks should swing this for me, but that bike does look really nice.

it also looks better than most of what 2018 has to offer, see: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/01/bikes-2018-worldtour/

Conza

by Conza

rynogee wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:34 pm
not that looks should swing this for me, but that bike does look really nice.

it also looks better than most of what 2018 has to offer, see: https://cyclingtips.com/2018/01/bikes-2018-worldtour/
I thought the exact same when looking at those yesterday!

I tend to go pure minimalist; more style, than fashion/trend. Think this will last.

Mtek

by Mtek

@conza Incredibly good looking bike. I love BMC design, it will never look dated.

TonyM

by TonyM

Wow that a nice pictures! very crips! love it!
And love the BMC Teammachine SLR01 disc anyway! A very minimalistic design! Love it!

bilwit

by bilwit

lost the seatpost cover on a ride today... looking at the design I'm not sure how they expect it to stay in unless I'm missing something??

2a

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/fileadm ... amp_EN.pdf

TonyM

by TonyM

On my Roadmachine02 the seatpost clamp cover is the same as yours BUT it is attached to the seatpost itself. I always wondered why...Now I know why...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com