Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
wingguy
Posts: 3527
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

AndreLM wrote:As far as I understood, this frame is probably not compatible with Campy discs.

Yeah, the bolt spacing on the fork would be wrong.

morrisond
Posts: 727
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:34 pm

by morrisond

wingguy wrote:
AndreLM wrote:As far as I understood, this frame is probably not compatible with Campy discs.

Yeah, the bolt spacing on the fork would be wrong.



As I mentioned above if you use a Campy 140 Rear Caliper on the Fork it should work with a 160mm Disc. That looks like what they are doing with the Shimano Caliper.

by Weenie


User avatar
rossjm11
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:09 pm

by rossjm11

I like the direction BMC has gone with this bike. It is a bit more aero than the last one, supposedly more comfortable yet better power transfer, and it looks very clean. Plus, it is an incredibly lightweight disc brake frame. If it truly improves on the great ride quality found on the last gen SLR01, then it will be an amazing bike. At $4500, it is still $1500 less than several frames that are about as good as an SLR. My perception is that this is going to be a great bike overall...

However, I am still brimming with excitement for a new Timemachine Road!
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

Pan
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: New England

by Pan

Shrike wrote:Looks class, modern aero lines all over. No flair, or Italian style cues - just pure business. My kinda frame.

That said, still think the Aeroad pips it if you're looking for this style of design.


I always think its ironic that US wheels are on a bike that can't be bought in the US. The only way to race on one is if you have SRAM neutral support vehicles follow behind you and you have a mechanical issue and need a neutral service bike...

I think the Time Machine is well priced. Compared to the "Italian taxed" bikes like the F10 or the Oltre, the price is cheaper. It matches the price of a Trek Madone 9, proven fastest bike out there. : )

I always thought BMC bikes were a thing of beauty -- they reminded me of a Swiss watch. Technical and complex but functional.
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

zappafile123
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:24 am

by zappafile123

The previous iteration of the SLR01 was really very good. It should be interesting to see if the new rig refines some the weaknesses of the old one e.g. responsiveness! hahahahhahaha... relatively speaking, with deeper 50-60mm wheels it was sluggish off the mark, so the 'acceleration redefined' moniker was bullshit - it felt a bit muted with the ride isolating you from the road, it lacked that raw directness of a pure racing rig (think Evo or Oltre or TCR). But on all other fronts, it was just a fantastic rig, especially on the comfort front. It just did everything well.
Bianchi Oltre XR4 |BMC SLR01 16' |Cannondale SS Evo HM 12'| Focus Izalco Max | Ridley Helium SL 15' | Basso Diamante 15' | Bianchi Oltre XR2 | Scapin Dyseys S8 | Time ZXRS | Giant TCR SL 12' | Ridley Noah 08' | Look 585 | Cervelo Soloist SLC

User avatar
jimaizumi
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:48 am

by jimaizumi

zappafile123 wrote:The previous iteration of the SLR01 was really very good. It should be interesting to see if the new rig refines some the weaknesses of the old one e.g. responsiveness! hahahahhahaha... relatively speaking, with deeper 50-60mm wheels it was sluggish off the mark, so the 'acceleration redefined' moniker was bullshit - it felt a bit muted with the ride isolating you from the road, it lacked that raw directness of a pure racing rig (think Evo or Oltre or TCR). But on all other fronts, it was just a fantastic rig, especially on the comfort front. It just did everything well.


Thats probably why the 2018 SLR01 had very little change in the way of asthetics.. Some iprovements here and there but hardly a redesign.. Why ruin things with a redesign when you already have something that works, flawlessly
:oops: THE PAST: 2005 Cannondale R700, 2006 Specialized S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

:D THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato

:wink: THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ninjasloth
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:14 pm

by ninjasloth

AndreLM wrote:Also like the rim brake version, but it is not clear if one can route electronic shifting through the stem as the disc brake version.


Image

Looks like rimbrake with ICS is the way
to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delorre
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 12:09 pm

by Delorre

ninjasloth wrote:
AndreLM wrote:Also like the rim brake version, but it is not clear if one can route electronic shifting through the stem as the disc brake version.


Image

Looks like rimbrake with ICS is the way
to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No need to. From the bikeradar article: "This SLR01 shares much of the evolution of the disc model, but has a direct mount brakes, widened seatstays and a clever dynamic cable stop at the top of the head tube. This entry point for the rear brake cable contains a mini ball joint, allowing the housing to pivot as the bars turn, and prevent it from cracking.

Image

Nevertheless, intrested to see a better pic of the bikes useb by BMC in current races.

ODC
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 am

by ODC

Saw the red team edition in real life and it was love on first sight.
Planning to order the new SLR01 with rim brakes (delivery would be the end of august) and build it with the new DI2 9150, ENVE 4.5 wheelset, Zipp sprint SL stem, Zipp SL88 bar and my Shimano SRM 9000 powermeter (hopefully compatible with the new 9100 groupset).

My current bike is a Pinarello F8 (size 57.5) and i have a question about the geometry in comparison with the SLR01.
- The F8 has a head tube of 179mm and a stack of 584mm
- The SLR 01 has a head tube of 188mm and a stack of 584mm

So the SLR01 has a longer head tube but the same stack height of the F8.
Would this mean that must i use the same stem from my F8 (most stem -8 degrees) on the SLR01 that my position would be just the same? Or am i totally wrong.

User avatar
fa63
Posts: 2227
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:26 am
Location: Atlanta, GA, US

by fa63

ODC wrote:So the SLR01 has a longer head tube but the same stack height of the F8.
Would this mean that must i use the same stem from my F8 (most stem -8 degrees) on the SLR01 that my position would be just the same? Or am i totally wrong.

The Pinarello probably has a longer fork and/or more bottom bracket drop. Either way, if stack is the same, then the same stem as before should get you in the same position.

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

This is pretty basic stuff. The Teammachine has a 1.2deg slacker headtube and 2mm shorter fork to achieve the same stack with a longer headtube. In order for you to get exactly the same position, you'd need a -9.2 degree stem. You basically have the option of using a -10deg stem and a short (5mm or smaller) spacer or -8deg stem with a short spacer subtracted.

Also the SLR01 frame module comes with bar/stem/saddle/bartape afaik. And you should go disc with 4.5 ARs.

ODC
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:40 am

by ODC

TobinHatesYou wrote:This is pretty basic stuff. The Teammachine has a 1.2deg slacker headtube and 2mm shorter fork to achieve the same stack with a longer headtube. In order for you to get exactly the same position, you'd need a -9.2 degree stem. You basically have the option of using a -10deg stem and a short (5mm or smaller) spacer or -8deg stem with a short spacer subtracted.

Also the SLR01 frame module comes with bar/stem/saddle/bartape afaik. And you should go disc with 4.5 ARs.


The bar, stem, saddle and bartape does indeed comes with the module but my shop wants to replace this all for what i want without any extra cost.
No disc version for me and that for two reasons:
- Disc brakes for road bikes are still young and new
- The disc version is a module where the stem can not be replaced and BMC makes them just until 130mm and i ride al my stems in 140mm

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 1716
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Why is it mentioned in the Bike Radar article (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... iew-51323/) that it has "Proprietary thru axles"?

Can't I use "generic" disc brake wheels (Enve etc...)?

TobinHatesYou
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm

by TobinHatesYou

TonyM wrote:Why is it mentioned in the Bike Radar article (http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... iew-51323/) that it has "Proprietary thru axles"?

Can't I use "generic" disc brake wheels (Enve etc...)?


All 12x100mm front and 12x142mm rear thru-axle wheels will work. Thru-axle bolts are sometimes proprietary to the frame because they have different specific lengths to account for the dropout thickness and different thread-pitches.

For example my Emonda SLR Disc uses 123mm front and 174mm rear thru-axles each with 1.75mm pitch threads. Some thru-axle systems like the new Mavic/Enve system employ a half dropout system. Others include Pon Holdings' (Cervelo, Focus, etc.) RAT system. Others use Shimano E-Thru, Syntace/X12, Scott, Rock Shox Maxle, etc.

Like I said these are all frame specific, so it doesn't matter. Your thru-axles stay with the frame, not with the wheels.

by Weenie


bilwit
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Location: Seattle, WA

by bilwit

seriously thinking about cancelling my Orca Aero order for this.. ~400g less right off the bat and at 60kgs I wouldn't exactly be pushing watts on an aero bike anyway

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post