Thoughts on the 2018 BMC Teammachine?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Post Reply
sooni
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:27 pm

by sooni

exFictitiouZ wrote:How would you describe the handling on this bike? I'm interested in it but after reading the geometry chart to see the fork trail of 76-63mm depending on size, I'm worried that it'd be too 'stable'. I'm used to riding a bike with 58mm trail.


I switched to the SLR02 from an Emonda ALR. I found that the handling was more stable in a positive way. When you want to make a move it handles great, while the ALR(same geo as the SL and SLR) felt twitchy all the time even when tracking in a straight line.

User avatar
Conza
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:28 am
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Contact:

by Conza

sooni wrote:
exFictitiouZ wrote:How would you describe the handling on this bike? I'm interested in it but after reading the geometry chart to see the fork trail of 76-63mm depending on size, I'm worried that it'd be too 'stable'. I'm used to riding a bike with 58mm trail.


I switched to the SLR02 from an Emonda ALR. I found that the handling was more stable in a positive way. When you want to make a move it handles great, while the ALR(same geo as the SL and SLR) felt twitchy all the time even when tracking in a straight line.


:o :beerchug:
It's all about the adventure :o .

by Weenie


exFictitiouZ
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:20 pm

by exFictitiouZ

sooni wrote:I switched to the SLR02 from an Emonda ALR. I found that the handling was more stable in a positive way. When you want to make a move it handles great, while the ALR(same geo as the SL and SLR) felt twitchy all the time even when tracking in a straight line.


Thx for your input. Cheers!

djgarrett21
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 pm

by djgarrett21

Anyone with the disc version care to chime in on tire clearance? It would be great to get some measurements at the fork and rear to figure out how much room there actually is. I know BMC advertises room for 28mm, but sounds like that may be true 28 rather than 30+ which a 28mm tire will turn into on a wider profile rim.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the SLR01 disc frame module this week. Would love to know if I can actually fit a say, Enve 5.6 with 28mm tires in there.

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

djgarrett21 wrote:Anyone with the disc version care to chime in on tire clearance? It would be great to get some measurements at the fork and rear to figure out how much room there actually is. I know BMC advertises room for 28mm, but sounds like that may be true 28 rather than 30+ which a 28mm tire will turn into on a wider profile rim.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the SLR01 disc frame module this week. Would love to know if I can actually fit a say, Enve 5.6 with 28mm tires in there.


I have taken some pictures of a SLR01 disc at the LBS and I will post these later!

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Here the pictures I took a few weeks ago as I visited a LBS with a SLR01 disc in their showroom.

Vittoria Open Corsa 25mm
DT Swiss PRC 1100 DICUT db 35 Carbon (17C)

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc - size 51cm
Tires: Designed for 25mm, maximum 28mm (measured width)

28mm (measured width min the rim) like BMC states is really ok!
But more? it will depend on the inner rim width (17C or 19C for example), on how much flex does the wheelset has (depending in the spoke, tension etc.., how much Watt do you have, etc... so that it will not rub when accelerating, sprinting etc...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

djgarrett21
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 pm

by djgarrett21

TonyM wrote:Here the pictures I took a few weeks ago as I visited a LBS with a SLR01 disc in their showroom.

Vittoria Open Corsa 25mm
DT Swiss PRC 1100 DICUT db 35 Carbon (17C)

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc - size 51cm
Tires: Designed for 25mm, maximum 28mm (measured width)

28mm (measured width min the rim) like BMC states is really ok!
But more? it will depend on the inner rim width (17C or 19C for example), on how much flex does the wheelset has (depending in the spoke, tension etc.., how much Watt do you have, etc... so that it will not rub when accelerating, sprinting etc...



Awesome! Thanks for the info and pics. It looks like the clearance to the seat stays is less than other areas, could just be the angle. I didnt realize the stock wheels were 17C. Seems like many aftermarket wheels are going 19C which as you said could limit clearance even more depending on tire choice. Eyeballing the pics it looks like a 28 may technically fit but man, those seat stays dont look to leave much room.

djgarrett21
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 pm

by djgarrett21

<<delete>>

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

djgarrett21 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the info and pics. It looks like the clearance to the seat stays is less than other areas, could just be the angle. I didnt realize the stock wheels were 17C. Seems like many aftermarket wheels are going 19C which as you said could limit clearance even more depending on tire choice. Eyeballing the pics it looks like a 28 may technically fit but man, those seat stays dont look to leave much room.


Yes the seat stays would be the bottleneck for tires larger than 28mm.

I suppose BMC designed the Teammachine SLR01 for the now popular 25mm in the Pro peloton and that 28mm is just the maximal measurement of some 25mm tires on wide rims (for example the Roval CLX50 have an inner width of 20.7mm).

Why do you want to run some tires larger than 28mm? And which wheels/ rims are you thinking to have with the SLR01?

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

BTW the BMC Roadmachine01 allows tires up to 30mm (measured width) and the low head cone its geometry is similar to a road bike (reach is approx. similar and stack has approx. 10mm more than the SLR01)

Full bike:
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/ ... ne-01-one/

Frameset TEAM (red):
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/ ... _team_red/

The pricing is the same than the SLR01 Disc, for the bike or for the frame/ module.

istigatrice
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

by istigatrice

sooni wrote:
exFictitiouZ wrote:How would you describe the handling on this bike? I'm interested in it but after reading the geometry chart to see the fork trail of 76-63mm depending on size, I'm worried that it'd be too 'stable'. I'm used to riding a bike with 58mm trail.


I switched to the SLR02 from an Emonda ALR. I found that the handling was more stable in a positive way. When you want to make a move it handles great, while the ALR(same geo as the SL and SLR) felt twitchy all the time even when tracking in a straight line.


Really depends on what size you get, if you're riding a 54 Emonda it might be a touch on the twitchy side, but a 56,58,60 Emonda will be much better. From my personal experience (not with the team machine but with high trail frames) trail higher than 60 is ok for group rides and training but the minute you want to really attack corners it comes up with a bit too much understeer. Perhaps good for getting up the climbs and cruising between climbs but not for crits or technical descents.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Velocite Selene

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

djgarrett21
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:22 pm

by djgarrett21

TonyM wrote:BTW the BMC Roadmachine01 allows tires up to 30mm (measured width) and the low head cone its geometry is similar to a road bike (reach is approx. similar and stack has approx. 10mm more than the SLR01)

Full bike:
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/ ... ne-01-one/

Frameset TEAM (red):
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/ ... _team_red/

The pricing is the same than the SLR01 Disc, for the bike or for the frame/ module.


Yeah I had thought about the Roadmachine but in the end decided that a purebread race bike was what suited my preferences the best. Room for 28c would be ideal but not a deal breaker. I still have plenty of racing left in me.

I placed my order for a 54cm SLR01 disc in red last week. Cant wait until it shows up!

TimW
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: England, UK

by TimW

I got a Roadmachine 01, love it but as with Teammachine....has anyone found a centre mounted clamp that works with the ICS stem? My Wahoo Bolt is slightly off to the side.

BMC promised computer mounts but never seem to deliver...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 1707
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Don‘t you use the BMC Garmin/ Wahoo mount?

TimW
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: England, UK

by TimW

Can't seem to find it anywhere in the UK. If you can point me to someone who can sell one to me would be grateful!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post