Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 am 

cloudnine wrote:
I believe the tool comes in the box with the frameset, perhaps someone near you that has a V1-r or C60 can loan you one?

Mine did not come with it :(

Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:47 pm 

My V1-r (bought last July) came with the tool but a mate's C60 he received last week did not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:53 pm 

I guess that unfortunately means Colnago has chosen not to include them now :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:48 pm 

They come with a little place holder where the tool used to sit with the part number and note saying you can order through your dealer, like this...Image
It's been quite some time since they stopped including it.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:36 pm 

Unbelievable. Miser Italians, they stop giving a $5 piece on a 3,6 k frameset.

Enviado desde mi SM-J700M mediante Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:46 pm 

Ha... I know they charge much more than $5 for it. It was just not a tool that many people, even the dealers, used, so I could understand them changing it to an item available on an as needed basis only. When I ordered mine the main Colnago dealer had never even used it on any of the frames so they just gave me one of theirs. But I only wanted it to open things up and check on the BB facing, just out of curiosity to see how these things are built. I was pleasantly surprised to see that underneath the Threadfit cups was a perfectly and properly faced carbon shell. And the alloy Threadfit cups themselves are precisely machined, providing a perfect shell for whatever compatible PF BB you care to use. A very rare beast these days. This is still the best implementation of a pressfit BB I have come across.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 pm 

@Calnago. It costs them $5, but charge you 60

Enviado desde mi SM-J700M mediante Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:05 pm 

Something like that, yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:33 pm 

It is not just financial though. I suspect that they would prefer that it is a fit and forget component, which is changed only very infrequently, and only then in competent hands.

High end frames are no longer only in the hands of experienced riders, with years of cycling and home repair. If they shipped the tool with the frame, then they would be risking that many poor mechanics to tinker without knowledge, equipment or experience. Those who have the depth to want the tool, can and will access it, and indeed, will love their tools as much as they do their frame.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:52 pm 

Calnago wrote:
Ha... I know they charge much more than $5 for it. It was just not a tool that many people, even the dealers, used, so I could understand them changing it to an item available on an as needed basis only. When I ordered mine the main Colnago dealer had never even used it on any of the frames so they just gave me one of theirs. But I only wanted it to open things up and check on the BB facing, just out of curiosity to see how these things are built. I was pleasantly surprised to see that underneath the Threadfit cups was a perfectly and properly faced carbon shell. And the alloy Threadfit cups themselves are precisely machined, providing a perfect shell for whatever compatible PF BB you care to use. A very rare beast these days. This is still the best implementation of a pressfit BB I have come across.

I had similar experience. When i was buying my frame in Italy, i asked to get tool with the frame. They just give me their own tool...

Stilll never used it until now, but since there is no Colnago dealers where i live, i wanted to have it just for piece of mind..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:12 pm 

UPDATE!
So, in my quest to eliminate the BB as a culprit, I managed to order the BB tool... Everything was torqued to spec (when I removed it). Took it apart and re-installed it using More Blue Aquaproof (Thanks @calnago for the tip) and torqued tit spec.
Took it for a ride... Noise still there (arghhhhhhh)! Creaks happing at 7 PM position coming from the left crank side under torque - can duplicate it every time.
More investigative work (not giving up here)... This time I decided to clean and re-grease the rear QR (ENVE Ti QRs)...
NOISE IS FINALLY GONE! C60 is purring again!
Thank you all for the tips and feedback. Cheers!

Attachments:
tool2.jpg
tool2.jpg [ 10.43 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
lube.jpg
lube.jpg [ 10.02 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
closeup1.jpg
closeup1.jpg [ 7.38 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
closeup2.jpg
closeup2.jpg [ 7.55 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
closeup3.jpg
closeup3.jpg [ 5.51 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:31 pm 

I wish I had responded to this thread earlier - my apologies, I could have saved you some time and effort. My response for every noise complaint is always the same - check quick releases first! Like you, I learned the hard way - a bunch of time and effort playing with bottom brackets etc., when all that was needed was a clean, lube, and re-tighten of the QR. I have even gone so far as to force a riding buddy with a noisy bike to stop, grabbed his bike out of his hands, and re-set his quick releases. We were high in the Pyrenees and I got tired of listening to the guy moan about where he would be able to get a new bottom bracket. 5 seconds and silence.

Glad you got rid of the noise and glad to hear that it was not the fault of such a nice frame. Always super satisfying to get rid of a noise.

I will also add that you need to keep an eye on those hubs. I have had CK r45 rear hubs that made clicking sounds out of the saddle that sounded very much like a noisy QR. The solution was to pull them apart and apply a coating of grease wherever parts were in contact with each other. Basically I smeared a thin coating of grease over the axel, spacers, bearing races, endcaps, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 pm 

+1 re QR's. The easiest thing to check and many times the source of the creak. Sometimes tightening and greasing won't fix the problem, but replacing them will fix it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:50 pm 

Yes, always. I just put a set of Lightweights on a guy's bike and told him if it creaks, just toss the skewers and get some Campy or Dura Ace.
In this thread the OP kind of made it sound like he had checked everything else. Live and learn.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:50 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:03 am 

thebman wrote:
cloudnine wrote:
I believe the tool comes in the box with the frameset, perhaps someone near you that has a V1-r or C60 can loan you one?

Mine did not come with it :(

Mine came with the tool but it does not even fit, i just tried it, not to remove it but just to see if its the right one.