Colnago C60 Bottom Bracket Tool

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thebman

by thebman

Greetings,

I have searched high and low for this tool and cannot seem to find it anywhere but Excel Sports. Unfortunately, they're out of stock and have been for a while.
Any pointers where I can get one would be very helpful.

Many Thanks!
Attachments
108464-1.jpg
108464-3.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Ask a local Colnago dealer to order one for you?

ab01ns

by ab01ns

Where are you located. If you're in Toronto or that area, PM me as my shop has the tool, we can't loan it out but a bb install will be 40 in labour.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

thebman

by thebman

ab01ns wrote:Where are you located. If you're in Toronto or that area, PM me as my shop has the tool, we can't loan it out but a bb install will be 40 in labour.

I'm located in San Antonio, TX :(

ab01ns

by ab01ns

Ah sorry dude.

20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Hi
I can ship one to you from Greece but i am not sure it will worth the cost.
Maybe it will be better to try locate it within the US?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Have your dealer order one directly from Colnago America in Chicago. Can I ask what you need it for? Did the threadfit cups get damaged somehow?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

thebman

by thebman

Calnago wrote:Have your dealer order one directly from Colnago America in Chicago. Can I ask what you need it for? Did the threadfit cups get damaged somehow?

Thanks for the advice. Will do!
Built my C60 with campy super record and ENVE wheels and cockpit last year and it is a magnificent machine. However, last three/four months the bottom bracket started creaking under torque (standing out of the saddle and on steep hills).

I tried multiple fixes (re-installing new OS-Fit cups, checking the chainring bolts, pedals, cleats, checking the frame for cracks, headset, stem, etc) none of them seem to be the issue. I was about to give up THEN I came across a thread here where someone mentioned that they took the bottom bracket sleeves out and put some grease and that made the problem go away. Apparently an issue with both V1R and C60s. Thus, my need for the tool.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Could be I suppose. Good spot to check in any case. When mine was brand new I took them out and applied Moragn Blue Aquaproof Paste to the threads then torqued them to spec. I would use something like that over grease. It's a really high adhesion product and prevents galvanic corrosion, exactly what you want in that application. I also used it for the Campy cups, versus using Loctite 609 and primer. I would think in your case that either the Threadfit cups weren't tightened to the specific torque (if the creaking is coming from the interface between the threadfit cups and the Bottom bracket itself), or that the creak is coming from the interface between the outer surface of the campy cups the Threadfit cups. I would not use grease in either of those spots. For pressing in the Campy cups I'd either press them in completely dry (as Colnago recommends) or do like I did and use the Aquaproof paste. But grease in these areas will just facilitate movement which is absolutely what you do not want. It may mask a creak or two at the beginning, but the movement will just make matters worse down the road. You're definitely on the right track however, checking anything and everything that it could be.
Also, when you get the tool, before you remove the threadfit cups from the frame, use a torque wrench set to the proper spec and see if they are in fact torqued properly. It's just a check to confirm that they are tight. If they tighten up significantly from where they were, then that at least tells you that the problem "may" have been simply that, the cups weren't tight enough.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

thebman

by thebman

Calnago wrote:When mine was brand new I took them out and applied Moragn Blue Aquaproof Paste to the threads then torqued them to spec.

That's exactly the product I was planning on using - Many thanks for the tip.
Calnago wrote: I also used it for the Campy cups, versus using Loctite 609 and primer.

For the cups I already used the Primer/Loctite combo as per campy's specs using the campy tool.
Calnago wrote:Also, when you get the tool, before you remove the threadfit cups from the frame, use a torque wrench set to the proper spec and see if they are in fact torqued properly. It's just a check to confirm that they are tight. If they tighten up significantly from where they were, then that at least tells you that the problem "may" have been simply that, the cups weren't tight enough.

Excellent suggestion! makes perfect sense. I believe this is the last culprit (one hopes).

I really appreciate the detailed diagnosis and recommendations write-up. karma +1

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No problem, the primer/Loctite solution between the campy cups will certainly do the trick as well, but as you know the cups are alloy and machined to a very tight tolerance, as are Colnago's Threadfit cups, unlike most pressfit BB shells you see out there these days, so I just used the Aquaproof paste here instead of the retaining compound. The fit is very good, and I was pretty sure I could have installed these cups dry as per Colnago's recommendation and it would have worked as well. And good on you for using the actual Campy BB press. The drifts look to be thick and well made. I used the Wheelsmith Press tools which accomplished the same thing, but I think the Campy tool is a cut above the drifts I've used from the images I've seen of it. Hope this effort gets rid of the creak. I've not heard a peep from mine since building it up.

Oh, one more question I've wondered about since I haven't had occastion to do it myself yet. You mentioned you used Loctite 609 and primer for the campy cups and that you reinstalled them in your efforts to get rid of the creak. How hard was it to remove them from the Threadfit cups with the 609 retaining compound holding them in there? Thanks.

thebman

by thebman

Calnago wrote:How hard was it to remove them from the Threadfit cups with the 609 retaining compound holding them in there? Thanks.

You won't believe the answer... a wooden dowel and a small rubber hammer tapping from the opening (very GENTLY/CAREFULLY).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... I'm surprised it came out so easily if the Loctite 609 had cured properly. Usually takes quite a bit of impact to break that bond, I mean a lot, far more than gentle tapping with a small rubber hammer and a wooden dowel. I find it's best to tell owners of bicycles to leave the area during it's removal. Maybe that's the source of your creak. Don't know but hope you report back one way or another after you have at it once again.

cloudnine

by cloudnine

I believe the tool comes in the box with the frameset, perhaps someone near you that has a V1-r or C60 can loan you one?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It did come with the frameset at the very beginning of the run but then it became a special order item shortly after I believe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com