Play in Extralite UltraFront SX hub and bearing size

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I recently noticed some lateral play in my Extralite UltraFront (UltraHub) SX hub.

I tried adjusting the Micro-Tuner as per the manual instructions, and the play is still there. Am I right in assuming the bearings need replacing? It's definitely in the hub as I can feel play in the axle.

Also, does anyone know if this uses 6801 2RS bearings, as seem to be standard on other Extralite front hubs?

Thanks!

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Bump. No response from Extralite using their Web form, now trying email and will try FB if I hear nothing back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Open up your hub and find out. If your planning to do the job you have to anyway. Extralite technical documentation on there site gives this info i think.

Play normally means a faulty bearing but it could be faulty end caps or axle fault. The hub has be inspected rather than assume.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

bm0p700f wrote:Open up your hub and find out. If your planning to do the job you have to anyway. Extralite technical documentation on there site gives this info i think.

Play normally means a faulty bearing but it could be faulty end caps or axle fault. The hub has be inspected rather than assume.

Thanks for the input. For sure, I have to open it up anyway, but I'd rather have new bearings on hand to swap out in one go.

Bearing size is not included in Extralite's tech info unfortunately.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Big thumbs up to Extralite.

It took awhile, but Extralite sent me full and very thorough instructions for what to check and bearing fit/installation. In addition to the bearing size I requested.

Thanks Extralite!