Silca SuperPista is a lemon: alternatives?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wookski

by Wookski

Now that my Silca Super Pista has failed for the 3rd time in 9 months (now the gauge has stopped working) and the retailer has provided a full refund I am interested in alternatives. I really hoped the Silca would have been the last pump I would have to buy- 2 friends of mine also purchased the same pump and have had similar issues (bad batch?). Anyway, is there a floor pump out there that is genuinely designed to last with minimal issues? I don't care about price, just want something of the highest quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

This pump is the only one that has ladted for me. Topeak joeblows on the otherhand fail all the time.

The super pista i buy though are no where near the price of the overpriced pumps on the web today.

Wookski

by Wookski

bm0p700f wrote:This pump is the only one that has ladted for me. Topeak joeblows on the otherhand fail all the time.

The super pista i buy though are no where near the price of the overpriced pumps on the web today.

So many ppl swear by the original Silca pumps, based on my experience (and my friends) these new ones pale in comparison. The only "new Silca" product that has worked flawlessly for me so far is the pocket impero mini pump- a wonderful product.

Mep

by Mep

You're probably not gonna hear this from anyone else, my Birzman has outlasted my Topeak and Lezyne pumps by a large margin.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

It seems just about every pump is a fifty-fifty proposition. Half end up lemons and half work well forever.
My Park PFP-4 has served me well for about ten years. They still manufacture it with only minor changes. Still around $50.
Looking at Amazon reviews, about half the people gave it a failing grade, while the other half raved about it.

Funny that my vote should come in at 3.5 stars. The chuck does not play well with Schrader valves.
And you gotta insert the presta in just right or it won't work properly.
It disassembles fairly easily to lube. I replaced a dollar o-ring inside the gauge once, but never the presta rubber gasket.
Accurate gauge and it generally functions flawlessly. They probably should locate the gauge at the floor but my eyesight likes it closer.
The hose seems far to long, in my opinion, although I've learned to deal with it.
Oldbie

clm2206

by clm2206

Try SKS, you won't have to buy a pump at least in 15 years.

Enviado desde mi SM-J700M mediante Tapatalk

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Asteroid wrote:It seems just about every pump is a fifty-fifty proposition. Half end up lemons and half work well forever.
My Park PFP-4 has served me well for about ten years. They still manufacture it with only minor changes. Still around $50.
Looking at Amazon reviews, about half the people gave it a failing grade, while the other half raved about it.

I'm on the failing side. Tried 3 (supplier replacing each time) and the best of them was 15psi off the truth. Which is really disappointing as I have a lot of faith in park.
Have a lezyne digital of some sort (just checked on site - it's the CNC top model) that matches the readings from the pressure gauge well. Not having a quick engagement lever is a bit of a pain, but I can deal with that in return for knowing that the measurements are reliable. Wouldn't have tried the brand if it weren't for one of my clients on a Lezyne sponsored World Tour team bringing it home, but I'm happy with it.

RyanH

by RyanH

I actually find the Silca chuck very annoying since the hose is stiff enough to often cause it to be sideways and not feed air into the tube or it leaks air and whatnot. I've had a Hirame which worked well as long as all of your valves are from the same mfg and same diameter, otherwise you were constantly adjusting it. To be honest, the lezyne one while slower, consistently works with all valves, including nubs where it's barely protruding above the rim.

Since I'm ragging on Silca, I have the frame pump and frankly, I hate it. It rattles from the inside, ruining my tranquility on the bike. Using it also is an exercise in the zen of not moving the pump while pumping whereas the small Lezyne pump I have I can flaff it about as I struggle to pump the tire up.

Maybe the Silca products are one of those supermodels with an IQ of 50.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I bought a chuck head from an SKS Rennkompressor and attached it to a Lezyne digital gauge pump.

Best of both worlds: Accurate measurement and quick release engagement.

Downside: Doesn't have a pressure release to allow gradual pressure reduction to the desired pressure. Also I used an early Lezyne Sport Digital Drive (no longer available?) as the donor because it was the first digital gauge model available. It has a plastic barrel and is flimsy. Would have been better to start with the CNC model.

michel2

by michel2

i got a sks rennradkompressor as well, i dont think you wont find a more durable, easy to use pump.i have had mine for more then ten years now.

boysa

by boysa

SKS Rennkompressor with a Hirame head. I think I'm set for a long time. Hoping it will see me to the grave, actually.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

1415chris

by 1415chris

Lezyne CNC has been serving me very well for the last 5 years. Running latex through out the weels, it is in frequent use.
Recently I threw Silca Hiro 2 chuck on it, it speeded up the whole pumping process.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

SKS Renncompressor + Hirame: > 10 years.

Original Silca (now in boot of car for when I meet stranded cyclists) > 25 years.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Another sad silca user here. I purchased two silca products lately. The floor pump is loud and not comfortable to use. The pocket impero failed on me on the road. I still have to figure out why it's not pumping air at all.

I still use my entry level specialized floor pump I purchased 5 years ago. It's flawless. For mobile inflation, I'm gonna try out Pro's mini pump soon... Smaller and lighter than the silca impero, like the thread on design and I hope this actually works...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

boysa wrote:SKS Rennkompressor with a Hirame head. I think I'm set for a long time. Hoping it will see me to the grave, actually.

Exactly the same set up for me. So solid I've got no excuse to buy something else.