Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:39 pm 

Newbie here, but have been reading the Forum for many months.

Back story:
I've got an Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL on order (due mid-Aug). I went rim brake as I've got Xentis Squad 5.8 clinchers I was planning to use, I was also put off by the weight penalty and extra expense of Disc.
But, with all that time waiting on my hands, my mind starts to explore other options, like buying the Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0 SL that comes with Mavic Pro Carbon disc wheelset (hardly SL at 1760g). I could then sell both my Xentis 5.8 and brand new Pro Carbon Disc and buy some new all year, all around, wheels - I've got my eye on the Roval Disc CLX 50.

I spoke to Canyon Live Agents today, they said Ultimate had been tested up to 28mm tires.
Sigma Sports said to allow 30mm clearance for the Roval with a 25mm tire on due to the very wide rim width.

Q: Has anyone tried fitting Roval Disc CLX 50's to Ultimate CF SLX Disc please?

I'd also welcome feedback on my options

Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:39 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:05 am 

dvearn wrote:

Back story:
I've got an Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL on order (due mid-Aug). I went rim brake as I've got Xentis Squad 5.8 clinchers I was planning to use, I was also put off by the weight penalty and extra expense of Disc.
But, with all that time waiting on my hands, my mind starts to explore other options, like buying the Ultimate CF SLX Disc 9.0 SL that comes with Mavic Pro Carbon disc wheelset (hardly SL at 1760g). I could then sell both my Xentis 5.8 and brand new Pro Carbon Disc and buy some new all year, all around, wheels - I've got my eye on the Roval Disc CLX 50.

I spoke to Canyon Live Agents today, they said Ultimate had been tested up to 28mm tires.
Sigma Sports said to allow 30mm clearance for the Roval with a 25mm tire on due to the very wide rim width.

Specialized Turbo 24mm tires measure 26mm on those rims. I highly doubt 25mm would be more than 27 or 28. Plus if you'r going for aero might as well use the tire size the wheel set was designed, which is 24mm and you end up with 26mm effective anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:53 am 

dvearn wrote:

Back story:

I own an Endurace CF SLX Disc, with basically the same fork and reat clearnce as the Ultimate. I run 28mm GP 4000s on Roval CLX32's. Those suckers bolloon up to a real 31mm wide, with no issue at all. So, no worry at all!

Retired:
Canyon Endurace CF SLX 2016
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2013

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:34 am 

awesome, thanks for the confirmation guys.

Now I just have to work out Rim vs Disc.
I'm not a racer, but those 800g extra do eat at me. The thought of not having to keep changing my wheelset/brakes throughout the year is appealing though

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:32 am 

disc, future proof. with new generation of components will significantly lower the weight penalty..