anyone own a CANYON BIKE in a non-shipping country?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

norcimmus

by norcimmus

Make friends with any active troops stationed in Germany, use the VAT exemption form to purchase the bike and ship it via USPS back home as a gift/ship along with household goods.

Or just wait until Canyon opens up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Westbank wrote:
g32ecs wrote:I'm from Canada but I've been wanting an Aeroad for the longest time. I happen to have a family member visiting Germany very soon and there's a possibility I'll get one.

Too bad they don't ship to us and I'm on the hook for a 800EUR VAT charge (trying to find a way to avoid it because after all, my family member doesn't live in EU and the bike won't be used in EU)

How did you get yours?

It doesn't matter if they live in EU or not, they have to pay for the VAT and they are no way to get reimbursed. This is the price to pay for exclusivity I guess. You should probably wait at the end of August when Canyon will start selling in North America (US).

I'll believe it when I see it. We have been hearing about this since 2010 (after Canyon stopped shipping to USA in 2009) that Canyon was coming to the USA. Canyon had a deal in place with Competitive Cyclist back in 2010/2011. Only to have deals fall through. Delays. More delays. More promises.

I know it now seems like they are really coming over, but I'll wait to see it to believe it. :mrgreen:

Also, not to mention Canyon promising bike delivery within 2 weeks of ordering for USA customers. lol. That is another one I have a hard time believing based off of what I have heard and read from Canyon customers in Europe and elsewhere.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

canyon coming to USA is vaporware

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

They ship to Mexico, ship to your favourite vacation resort, spend a week on the beach and fly home with a new bike in a box.

53x12

by 53x12

You have a better chance of winning the lotto than figuring out when Canyon will ship your bike, much less when it will arrive at its destination in Mexico.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

BRM

by BRM

There are special services that provide you an address in an other country and then take care for your goods to ship it to you abroad. But ofcourse it cost extra money and some have limitations regarding a max value of the goods. When using such a service you still need to pay taxes in country of origin.

example
http://www.mygermany.com/

I would not bother and just choose something what is less problematic to obtain.

bbqpork

by bbqpork

I got my bike, would be fine if they never come to the North America. :P

performancesport

by performancesport

I am from Canada, Vancouver. I have been thinking about getting Canyon for a longer time now. So I am glad I've found this thread where I can learn more from other's people experience.

As far as sales starting in USA, I have read somewhere, that the bikes sold in EU are completed/assembled in Germany, while the bikes which will be sold in USA will be completed/assembled in Asia, for saving costs. I am wondering if this is a negative sign.

Also, I am not decided if I should go for Aeroad or Ultimate. Valverde was riding Aeroad and switched to Ultimate for some reason :shock:

4151zero

by 4151zero

bbqpork wrote:I got my bike, would be fine if they never come to the North America. :P

Same here, pretty sure I'm one of a very few to have a 2016 ultimate cf 9.0 in the USA

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

nathanong87 wrote:canyon coming to USA is vaporware

That used to be the case. However, a buddy of mine just started with Canyon USA, so they are definitely real and coming soon.

As for builds, so far as I know bikes being sold in the US are going to be built up out of a US location somewhere in California and shipped from there. They are not going to be built up and shipped from Asia.

No word from my friend as to when they're going live with sales in the US. But the operation is definitely underway.

If anyone is going to Press Camp in Utah later this month, Canyon will be there. I'd like to hear what everyone has to report from there.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

g32ecs wrote:
I guess waiting for them to hit the US shores is an option and hopefully Trump continues to mess it up @ the White House and have a the US $ fall.

Better keep waiting since that exchange rate has only been going one direction

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I purchased a Caynon commuter bike on clearance through a budyy who lives in the UK, it took about3 weeks for him to receive it and another 2 for fe ex to send it. they quoted one price on the shipping and ended up charging almost double with fees and fuel taxes.... still in the end had it shipped tp the US for less then it cost new

53x12

by 53x12

^ You went through all that trouble for a commuter bike? Don't you know you can commute just fine on an Aeroad or Ultimate? ;)

g32ecs

by g32ecs

EvilEuro wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:canyon coming to USA is vaporware

That used to be the case. However, a buddy of mine just started with Canyon USA, so they are definitely real and coming soon.

As for builds, so far as I know bikes being sold in the US are going to be built up out of a US location somewhere in California and shipped from there. They are not going to be built up and shipped from Asia.

No word from my friend as to when they're going live with sales in the US. But the operation is definitely underway.

If anyone is going to Press Camp in Utah later this month, Canyon will be there. I'd like to hear what everyone has to report from there.
Can you drop more info here? Is it going to be a full line up? How about pricing - are they going to be in line with the Euro pricing?

I think I'm just going to opt on waiting until they officially release in the USA. The Aeroad CF SLX Disc 8.0 is pretty bang-for-your-buck if they're in line with EU pricing. It's probably the best way to get into disc brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

g32ecs wrote:Can you drop more info here? Is it going to be a full line up? How about pricing - are they going to be in line with the Euro pricing?

I think I'm just going to opt on waiting until they officially release in the USA. The Aeroad CF SLX Disc 8.0 is pretty bang-for-your-buck if they're in line with EU pricing. It's probably the best way to get into disc brakes.

Nothing yet on any of those topics.

They just started up in the past week and I have not been in touch with my friend yet as I figure it is a really busy time. I'll inquire about those things the next time we get together.