Lightest aero bike? - venge/madone/s5/aeroad/more...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sagatme

by sagatme

What about Giant Propel Advanced​ SL?
I'm planning to buy in size S.
Somebody know?

Inviato dal mio MotoG3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Beaver

by Beaver

http://www.tour-magazin.de/raeder/rennr ... 42215.html

It's also in the Tour test - a bit on the heavier side though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

sagatme wrote:What about Giant Propel Advanced​ SL?
Somebody know?

I had Propel last year and this year I'm riding Scott Foil which I find much better. More comfortable and stiffer.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

sagatme

by sagatme

TurboKoo wrote:
sagatme wrote:What about Giant Propel Advanced​ SL?
Somebody know?

I had Propel last year and this year I'm riding Scott Foil which I find much better. More comfortable and stiffer.

And about weight?

RyanH

by RyanH

The Propel is not as aero and the brakes I believe are heavy and garbage unless you replace them (still heavy). The Felt AR FRD is probably the best on paper in terms of aero and weight but I know that one forum regular on here had one and despised it. I don't know if he'll chime in or not.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

My ears are burning, Ryan.

So I've owned 3 of these in question and can only give my opinion but I've owned quite a few bikes to compare to.

-2 Vias' with the last one weighing right around 7.5kg with CLX60 tubulars and right at 7.7 with CLX64 clinchers (both weights with a Quarq). This is an etap build with Tune saddle and lighter open mold cages but nothing really light weight. This was my favorite of all 3 aero bikes. The thing just ripped and was my race bike last year since I didn't race anything with a long, sustained climb and it was just really fast over punchy road races we have in my area.

-Felt AR FRD. With EE's, Quarq and the new Mavic Pro clinchers (all carbon version that are now sold and I'm too lazy to look up their full name) it was right at 6.7kg. This was the bike I always said I'd buy if I left Specialized and made good on that by buying it within weeks of leaving. It sucked. And I wanted SO bad to like it. But it sucked. The under BB brake and flexy BB made it so I had to open the brake super wide so it wouldn't rub on even mild out of the saddle efforts. Add to that a fork that was also super flexy and it made for single worst bike I've owned to date. I don't say that lightly.

Again, I wanted to like it so bad, paid a shit ton more than I was used to coming from working for a manufacturer, and as such pretended "it's pretty good!" On day one of team camp where I planned to unleash its lightweight but aeroness. Then the rest of team camp happened and I had to admit I hated it and sold it as soon as I got home.

-Giant Propel with CLX64's/Quarq/Enve bars/Tune saddle comes in at 7.3kg and so far it's a pretty capable bike. Not as stiff as the ViAS but MUCH better than the AR FRD. It's a size large and I should prob be on a M/L but it works. I found it cheap locally and said "why not?". The brakes are so not as bad as everyone makes them out to be and just came back from a weekend of multiple fast descents with no issues.

Overall a good bike but not "great" or outstanding.

My thoughts on aero bikes now, after having 3, is that I care less about weight overall. This is just my experience, take it for what it's worth. Maybe nothing.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Some of these aero frames seem to be coming in lighter than the Sworks Tarmac, which is only just below 1kg......!

axti

by axti

Scott Foil HMX 56
Integrated stem/bar
SRAM etap
Dura Ace 9000 brakes
Rotor crank
Power2Max
S-Works Power saddle
Campa Bora 50 tubular
Dura Ace 9000 pedals

6950 g.
Last edited by axti on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

JScycle

by JScycle

axti wrote:Scott Foil HMX 56
Integrated stem/bar
SRAM etap
Dura Ace 9000 brakes
Rotor crank
Power2Max
S-Works Power saddle
Campa Bora 50 tubular

6950 g.

To be honest that is probably my dream bike! Wish I could afford it now

axti

by axti

JScycle wrote:
axti wrote:Scott Foil HMX 56
Integrated stem/bar
SRAM etap
Dura Ace 9000 brakes
Rotor crank
Power2Max
S-Works Power saddle
Campa Bora 50 tubular

6950 g.

To be honest that is probably my dream bike! Wish I could afford it now

Couldn't be happier :D

crux

by crux

Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Size S
Integrated bar/stem
Sram Red eTap + Quarq DZero
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio
FFWD F6R Tubs
Look Kéo Carbon pedals
7070g

sagatme

by sagatme

SLCBrandon wrote:
-Giant Propel with CLX64's/Quarq/Enve bars/Tune saddle comes in at 7.3kg and so far it's a pretty capable bike. Not as stiff as the ViAS but MUCH better than the AR FRD. It's a size large and I should prob be on a M/L but it works. I found it cheap locally and said "why not?". The brakes are so not as bad as everyone makes them out to be and just came back from a weekend of multiple fast descents with no issues.

My thoughts on aero bikes now, after having 3, is that I care less about weight overall. This is just my experience, take it for what it's worth. Maybe nothing.

Specy is too many expensive for my wallet :(

I was looking for Propel 'cause I can find a discounted frame and then build the bike with eTap and other old components.

Actually I use a Canyon CF SLX, sure is more light, but the 2 bikes have almost the same reach and stack. And this is important for me. Maybe the Propel is the less "aggressive" frame about quota between Aero bikes.

CLX64 are the Giant factory wheels from original bike setting? What about the weight for this pair of wheels?

bbqpork

by bbqpork

If weight is really that important to you, I think the Foil is about the lightest or the F8 Xlight if you meet the weight requirements.

To be honest, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Madone9, Foil, F8/10, or Aeroad.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

sagatme wrote:
SLCBrandon wrote:

Specy is too many expensive for my wallet :(

I was looking for Propel 'cause I can find a discounted frame and then build the bike with eTap and other old components.

Actually I use a Canyon CF SLX, sure is more light, but the 2 bikes have almost the same reach and stack. And this is important for me. Maybe the Propel is the less "aggressive" frame about quota between Aero bikes.

CLX64 are the Giant factory wheels from original bike setting? What about the weight for this pair of wheels?

i bought the Propel second hand as a frame set only and just had the 64's on my Allez Sprint so I tossed them on. No idea on weights with other wheels.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

SLCBrandon wrote:-Felt AR FRD. With EE's, Quarq and the new Mavic Pro clinchers (all carbon version that are now sold and I'm too lazy to look up their full name) it was right at 6.7kg. This was the bike I always said I'd buy if I left Specialized and made good on that by buying it within weeks of leaving. It sucked. And I wanted SO bad to like it. But it sucked. The under BB brake and flexy BB made it so I had to open the brake super wide so it wouldn't rub on even mild out of the saddle efforts. Add to that a fork that was also super flexy and it made for single worst bike I've owned to date. I don't say that lightly.

Again, I wanted to like it so bad, paid a shit ton more than I was used to coming from working for a manufacturer, and as such pretended "it's pretty good!" On day one of team camp where I planned to unleash its lightweight but aeroness. Then the rest of team camp happened and I had to admit I hated it and sold it as soon as I got home.

My experience with the Felt AR has been completely different. I have owned and ridden quite a few bikes and the current AR is the nicest aero road bike that I have ridden and owned. I have had zero issues with BB being flexy after thousands of miles. I don't put as much wattage out in a sprint as some guys on here (only around 1300w), but I have had zero flex from sprinting or climbing on that frame. That BB is massive and very stiff. This bike is awesome and Felt really did a great job with it.

I rode a older S5 before they updated the geometry. That old geometry didn't suit me, but now that they updated it that might improve things. But that older geometry just sucked and I just couldn't get use to its handling and my position on it. I have heard the new geometry really fixed things.

The Venge ViAS might be one of the worse handling, braking and ride feel aero frames that I have been on. That thing was terrible. There aren't many frames that I have felt this way about, but it felt like a piece of lumber when riding around. Even with nice wheels, tires, proper tubular pressure, nice bib shorts...etc. Just terrible for as expensive of a frame that it was. The braking was also terrible and was not confidence inspiring. I felt bad for my buddy that bought it and even he regretted it and eventually sold it off and bought a Trek Madone.

Trek Madone. This is probably the nicest fully integrated super aero road bike that I have ridden. Truly amazing what Trek has done with it from a performance standpoint. Blows the Venge ViAS away. If I was looking to spend this amount of money on an aero frame and wanted one with this much integration and proprietary parts, the Madone would be it hands down.

Canyon Aeroad, I haven't had a chance to ride one of these but this is another one that I would seriously consider if I could easily get my hands on one to test ride and perhaps purchase.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com