Campagnolo record group set with Dura Ace brake calipers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

corky

by corky

Anyone done this?

I know in theory this is not supposed to work due to differing leverage ratios but......

MOvistar used DA brakes with Campagnolo shifters when Campag had no direct mount calipers, so although they were direct mount they must have still worked no?

Thoughts?

clm2206

by clm2206

Yes, Movistar used DM brakes on their Canyons at the beginning, but maybe 1 year ago or so Campagnolo launched his Record DM brakes (made by TRP)

Enviado desde mi SM-J700M mediante Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

clm2206 wrote:Yes, Movistar used DM brakes on their Canyons at the beginning, but maybe 1 year ago or so Campagnolo launched his Record DM brakes (made by TRP)

Yeah I know that but they ran DA with Campag for a while so is it doable?

clm2206

by clm2206

corky wrote:
clm2206 wrote:Yes, Movistar used DM brakes on their Canyons at the beginning, but maybe 1 year ago or so Campagnolo launched his Record DM brakes (made by TRP)

No problems mixing brakes and levers, no problems mixing chainrings, no problems even mixing Campy cassette on Shimano drivetrain

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

clm2206 wrote:
corky wrote:

No problems mixing brakes and levers, no problems mixing chainrings, no problems even mixing Campy cassette on Shimano drivetrain

Well, that rather depends on how well you want it to work ...

The downside with mixing brakes / levers is that the performance of the brakes is dictated in part by the very ratios that mixing lever and caliper will mess up - so will it work, yes ... the blocks (if set at about 1 mm from the rims) will still meet the rims before the lever meets the 'bars and the pull ratio difference is not huge - so it's not like trying to run v-brakes with cantilever brake levers - however, if you are looking at the DA brakes because of some expected difference in the performance of the brakes, you may not get it.

There are some reasons why you might mix brakes and levers - maybe if you want to run 25s or 28s on a 20 mm / c13 rim, having two QRs to really open up the stirrups so that you can get the wheel in and out more easily ... or using other maker's brakes to give a deeper reach than is possible with a fully matched system - but the chances are that it will involve compromise somewhere.

Drive-trains ... a small amount of research will show you that cassette spacings are *not* the same, the overall width is not constant between Shimano and all ratios of Campagnolo cassette, chainring spacings are not the same and shift performance is very definitely compromised, whichever way around you work - Campag with Shimano shift system or VV. It "works" but I think both makers would prefer it to work "perfectly" ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

corky

by corky

THanks as always Graeme......

My reasons for wanting to do this are many fold here are a few :-

I extremely dislike the spring retention method of the Campagnolo brake pads and dislike the previous method even more.
The availability of (carbon)rim manufacture specific pads for campag brakes is very spotty at best.
SKeleton brakes are so un aero, and the design has not been updated for way too long.(yeah disks are a priority at the moment I guess, hopefully not forever though)
I prefer a quick release to be on the calliper.
I would also like to see some lever reach adjustability, but that is another issue.
I'm sure all my points are rebuttable but these are my experiences and views.

I am not a Campagnolo disliker per se, as I am currently running it on 4 bikes and love it....it's just the brakes I find sub par......although they work very well functionally,

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Corky: On my rain bike (A Trek Emonda SL) which came fully decked out resplendent in Shimano 105, the first thing I did was to strip off everything and replace it with Campy SR. Except for the brakes. The Shimano brakes simply had more clearance and I wanted to run 25mm tires with full fenderd. It worked. I was wondering how the brakes would feel using the Campy levers and quite honestly they feel just fine. The 105 calipers are not as beefy and stiff as the higher end calipers but they were fine for this purpose. On a new build I am using Shimano 9100 brakes with Campy levers. The clearance is good and it is also consistent regardless of rim width. With Campy skeleton brakes, as the width of the rim increases and you have to adjust the calipers to accommodate this, a side effect is that the arms of the skeleton brakes come down lower and can actually hit the top of the tire. You can check this out simply by watching what happens when you completely remove the brake cable and see how the arms want to come downwards on top. In contrast, the new Shimano brakes do not change at all this way. Regardless of how wide you adjust them, the clearance remains the same and you can get up to about a 28mm tire underneath the new 9100 brakes, depending on the width of the rim you use of course.

The spring retention method fo Campagnolo brake pads is a little annoying, but those springs are easily removeable as I've done on mine. And as @SuperDomestique pointed out in my C60 build thread, the pads are pretty easily removed simply be prying them out a bit to get started then taking some pliers and pulling them out. Either way, not really an issue.

I actually like the quick release of the Campagnolo brakes, being at the lever. But if you do go with the Shimano brakes, then you have double the release action. For this reason, it would be much more problematic using Shimano levers with Campy brake calipers since in that case you would have no release at all.

Lever reach: Campy supplies a couple of spacers to adjust lever reach for larger hands. I've never felt the need to use them, but they are there.

Skeleton brakes are so unaero. :lol: Ok... I've never noticed them slowing me down too much, until I want them to of course.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon May 29, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

corky

by corky

Cal, thanks for chiming in......thanks also confirming that Shimano calipers do play with Campag that's great and I think I'll I've them a whirl and if I'm unhappy I'm sure I can offload them pretty easily.

I did try running the Campag pads without the springs but some pads are a little loose for my comfort.(e.g. Enve).

THe lever reach is an issue for me as I have seriously small hands for a man.....even with DED zero bars I struggle to reach in the drops, sure I can mount the levers lower but then riding on the hoods and they are in the wrong position. I want to position the hoods and then adjust for reach.

Regarding Aero.....yeah I know it's a small point but when you have the likes of Wahoo extolling the aero benefits of their GPS unit, everyone is thinking about it and the Campag brake design is just a bit old and tired given the skeleton nature and the fact that the arms are out in the wind, they must be the most unaero calipers out there at the moment.

Anyway thanks for your experiences.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

I've got short fingers too and have to run my calipers more open, so I can depress the levers in the drops without the brake engaging. Full throw is still fine though - about 10mm before it hits the drop

On this - I run a compact ergo drop (kforce compact) but have been toying with the idea that the more traditional rounded shape would allow me to get my hand more forward to the lever - eg, the ergo slope area isnt blocking reach? I've never tried a round shape though so don't know if it works like that in practice.
Chasse patate