TeXtreme® carbon without registered trademark real or fake?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thumper88

by thumper88

53x12 wrote:
antonioiglesius wrote:Is this correct:
When the application structurally requires primarily 0/90 fiber orientation (e.g. boats, hockey sticks), TeXtreme is a better option because it offers higher strength-to-weight ratio.
When the application structurally requires primarily single-direction fiber orientation (e.g. bikes), then TeXtreme effectiveness is less and is largely relegated to improving impact resistance and aesthetics?

Oxeon makes TeXtreme in a variety of configurations. You can get their spread tow reinforcements in 0/90 and +45/-45, unidirectional tapes, and hybrids.

https://compositeenvisions.com/composit ... ments-168/

But it seems like their really distinctive product, the thing where they make the most significant contribution to the array of choices isn't uni, a lot of companies do that... it's the that spread woven.
Hybrids are really interesting for projects where you need woven, and you can get some pretty nifty custom weaves done with it... if you are buying enough, it is possible to get some crazy variations. And not just in material types but also the proportion of the fiber woven in each direction, which can improve on the engineering compromises of using woven in some applications.

A simple example is e-glass cloth for surfboards, with almost 70 percent of the fibers run longitudinally and 30-some percent run in the direction you need less strength, from one side of the board to the other.

I have used that as sheathing for ultralight, thin wood strip boats. The wood fibers provide significant stiffness fore to aft, so you run the surfboard cloth with the strong direction against the grain of the wood.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

My RCA has 3M Powerlux resin in certain places. Does anyone know if this is a similar material?

wingguy

by wingguy

goodboyr wrote:My RCA has 3M Powerlux resin in certain places. Does anyone know if this is a similar material?

Is Powerlux resin similar to Textreme spread-tow fabric? That honestly doesn't make sense as a question...

Unless I've misunderstood your post?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I guess the point ( and I agree it was poorly stated) was whether the characteristics that it provides ( because I believe it's use results in very high modulus cf) are similar.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

goodboyr wrote:My RCA has 3M Powerlux resin in certain places. Does anyone know if this is a similar material?

No, two completely different things.

3M Powerlux resin uses nano particles in the resin between the carbon fibers (filaments). It makes a strong and dense matrix which helps make the carbon fiber composite stronger, more durable and lighter weight compared to competitors. It also helps limit microbuckling (and stress fractures) under stress compared to a standard resin.

TeXtreme carbon fiber benefits from its spread tow and thin ply design. It is the way the carbon is actually laid and designed that makes it beneficial.

What would be cool to try would be a spread tow carbon fiber with 3M Powerlux resin or similar nano particles in the resin.
Last edited by 53x12 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Ok. Thxs for the explanation.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ninjasloth

by ninjasloth

kulivontot wrote:Is op looking to sue somebody for unlicensed use of textreme [REGISTERED SIGN]️
I am also confused by this thread.

OP is looking for an intellectual enlightenment on whethr registered trade mark had any bearing towards the materials performance.

Discussion went sideways to a parallel universe

tranzformer

by tranzformer

antonioiglesius wrote:Is this correct:
When the application structurally requires primarily 0/90 fiber orientation (e.g. boats, hockey sticks), TeXtreme is a better option because it offers higher strength-to-weight ratio.
When the application structurally requires primarily single-direction fiber orientation (e.g. bikes), then TeXtreme effectiveness is less and is largely relegated to improving impact resistance and aesthetics?

Layup schedules for bike frames is complex and very detailed. I don't know if any bike company primarily uses single-direction fiber orientation for the whole bike. They change up the layup schedule throughout the frame and the fiber orientation based on the various characteristics they are trying to get out of the frame and that particular part of the bike.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

covfefe
Last edited by kulivontot on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

The use of trademarks will never have any impact on materials performance. The use of materials might have an impact on materials performance.
Regardless, don't worry about it, go ride your bike

wingguy

by wingguy

goodboyr wrote:I guess the point ( and I agree it was poorly stated) was whether the characteristics that it provides ( because I believe it's use results in very high modulus cf) are similar.

I believe the modulus of CF is a measure of the tensile strength of the carbon fibers themselves. While different resins do change the properties of the final material, they don't change the modulus of the carbon.

wakira91

by wakira91

ninjasloth wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:59 am
Cervelo Felt Scott Canyon and the likes are considered

innovators and early adaptors

While Specialized Trek Giant Merida would be a late majority

It is obvious if you compare their revenue.

They all try to achieve the same goal with different means

TeXtreme doesn't generate enough revenue to be considered by giant manufacturers

See how the uses are limited to pinnacle of super high tech machines and equipments.

Although Textreme tennis racquet is a bit too much imo
Textreme tennis racquet is bit heavy and they don't have much spin.racquets for kids under 100