S-Works 6 road shoes pinching a nerve

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

raggi

by raggi

I used the S-Works 6 XC for training all winter and they are far and away the most comfortable shoes I've ever used. So naturally when it came to road racing season I got a pair of the s-works 6 road shoes.

However, an hour into the first ride I started feeling pain on the right side of my right foot, and after the ride I felt a nerve there which I've never noticed before, which was being pinched by the shoe.

This only happens on the right side, and it's because the heel cup of the road shoe has a more pronounced 'bump' then on the XC shoe.

Has anyone experienced the same/a similar problem?

Should I try and 'massage' the heel cup with warm water and play through the pain while it adjusts to my heel, or should I just stop trying and get a different pair of shoes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

raggi wrote:I used the S-Works 6 XC for training all winter and they are far and away the most comfortable shoes I've ever used. So naturally when it came to road racing season I got a pair of the s-works 6 road shoes.

However, an hour into the first ride I started feeling pain on the right side of my right foot, and after the ride I felt a nerve there which I've never noticed before, which was being pinched by the shoe.

This only happens on the right side, and it's because the heel cup of the road shoe has a more pronounced 'bump' then on the XC shoe.

Has anyone experienced the same/a similar problem?

Should I try and 'massage' the heel cup with warm water and play through the pain while it adjusts to my heel, or should I just stop trying and get a different pair of shoes?

You frequently see those shoes as being referred to as having an "agressive" fit, and even the favorable reviews often mention that they may not be suited to long distance rides, which suggests to me that even if they are a good match for your feet there is the potential for irritation, and if they are a bad match then it could be much worse.

I haven't tried them because I have had achilles tendon problems from (non cycling) shoes that have an overly aggressive heel cup that curves forward and rubs on the achilles, and I've also had nerve irritation from shoes that press on an old sprain injury on the front of the foot. I don't have any feedback for you on how much you can expect your shoes to break in, but I would caution you about trying to push through the discomfort, as my experience is that the irritation can last for some time even after you have ceased using the offending shoes, which is a real bummer as it can make even formerly comfortable shoes intolerable.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I ruined a solid month or 2 of my season last year by making the switch to those shoes and trying to work out the fit. I had to roll back to the previous generation (which was just fine). They are indeed aggressive and while the shoe definitely made some steps up in performance, the fit window got a bit more specific for sure.
Just ride ..

TacoShoppe

by TacoShoppe

I had the same problem on the left foot after spraining my ankles and stupidly riding before fully healed. These shoes are the best fit I've had for my wide feet out of the box by far before that. What I found fixed the ankle/achilles irritation for me was aligning my hips to ankles in a more vertical plane. I.E. I moved my cleats outwards just a couple millimeters. This fixed the ankle irritation for me. I feel like the shoes fits the foot fine, but the super tight hold definitely requires the rest of the bike's fit to be perfect. A little bit off and the foot has less wiggle room to deal with it.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have had 3 generations of S-Works road shoes and I have always had to make some minor modifications to get the fit perfect.

My method has been to use a wood dowel rounded at one end (broom handle can work). I place one end of the dowel on the floor and the rounded end inside the shoe against the area that I feel needs some more space. I work that area of the shoe over the rounded dowel to stretch the upper. You have to be careful - you can bust through the shoe if you press too hard.

Also my modifications have always been limited to the lateral side of the forefoot. My understanding is that some of the material in the middle and rear of the latest S Works shoes simply will not stretch. However you still might be able to soften it up enough to solve the problem.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

shineplus

by shineplus

Go to a professional shop for advice
If it is difficult to buy a more comfortable shoes
Sounds good

evan326

by evan326

I went from a pair of $50 shimano shoes to a set of these, and they made a huge difference in feel and performance. They do fit VERY snugly. I relate the fit to racing flats for 400m-5000m distance track running. Super tight and stiff fitting, have you tried a different heel insert? Mine came with the flattest one, which is fine for me. That or maybe a size up? My s works 6 are one size smaller than my shimano shoes were, but also fit much more closely.

raggi

by raggi

For the last couple of rides I've soaked the offending part in hot water and massaged it a bit before putting them on. I no longer feel any pain in my foot and the fit is simply perfect after the 'adjustment period'. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com