Potenza vs Chorus/Record/SR chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BRM

by BRM

robertbb wrote:Hi All,
My uber-carbon "A" bike runs Campy Chorus 2016 mechanical. The time has come to build an alloy "B" bike. I'm looking at a mix of Potenza / Chorus parts. Curious about the difference (if any) in chainring materials between the two. The Chorus crankset is currently about $125 more expensive, but if the chainrings are smoother and longer lasting I might drop the extra cash.
FWIW the other Chorus bits I've gone for are the shifters - only cost me $75 more, but it's ultrashift which I just can't live without.
Cheers all :beerchug:

- What are your requirements? Do you need a 32T in the cassette or can you do without?

- Have in mind that a full group is cheaper than separate components.
So a mix with chorus/potenza probably would be a bit cheaper but not much.

- Don't ignore the other topics on this forum about Campagnolo compatibility. There is already written a lot.
(And sadly notice the lack of organisation to make that information visible)

- Here a good overview of Potenza components.
http://road.cc/content/tech-news/182759 ... first-ride

robertbb

by robertbb

Cheers for the responses all!

I had a look at the spare parts catalogue, and the Potenza and C/R/SR chainrings are different - I assume the latter being of higher quality (shifting, wear, etc.). I'd also guess the carbon cranks are stiffer, so I've decided to go down that path. I think it's worth it for an extra AU$125.

Given I already have the Chorus shifters I'm really just looking at brakes and FD now, which may as well be Chorus too to complete the set 8)

In regards to the use of Potenza RD with Chorus shifters, I've been doing this for about 10 months and a Summer of heaving riding and have noticed absolutely no difference in feel or performance as compared to the Chorus RD. I keep looking at the Campy website expecting a C/R/SR medium cage RD (and accompanying level cassette) but alas only Potenza has the RD with the cheaper/heavier "Campagnolo 11" cassette offered with an 11-32.

I hope Campy wakes up to this hole in their catalogue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

robertbb wrote:In regards to the use of Potenza RD with Chorus shifters, I've been doing this for about 10 months and a Summer of heaving riding and have noticed absolutely no difference in feel or performance as compared to the Chorus RD. I keep looking at the Campy website expecting a C/R/SR medium cage RD (and accompanying level cassette) but alas only Potenza has the RD with the cheaper/heavier "Campagnolo 11" cassette offered with an 11-32.

If you can't wait, you can simply fit the spare medium cage from a Potenza mech not any of the mechs above. That way you have the option of using an 11-32. Alternatively you could wait for the 2018 mechs to be available as Campagnolo have medium cage versions of Chorus, Record & Super Record coming.

robertbb

by robertbb

ultimobici wrote:
robertbb wrote:In regards to the use of Potenza RD with Chorus shifters, I've been doing this for about 10 months and a Summer of heaving riding and have noticed absolutely no difference in feel or performance as compared to the Chorus RD. I keep looking at the Campy website expecting a C/R/SR medium cage RD (and accompanying level cassette) but alas only Potenza has the RD with the cheaper/heavier "Campagnolo 11" cassette offered with an 11-32.

If you can't wait, you can simply fit the spare medium cage from a Potenza mech not any of the mechs above. That way you have the option of using an 11-32. Alternatively you could wait for the 2018 mechs to be available as Campagnolo have medium cage versions of Chorus, Record & Super Record coming.

Oooh, this is interesting! When will they be released?

And also, is there a change to the C/R/SR shifters? Have noticed a lot of these on sale...?

(Any other changes to the groupset?)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

robertbb wrote:
ultimobici wrote:

And also, is there a change to the C/R/SR shifters? Have noticed a lot of these on sale...?

No news on changes to ergo levers that I have seen. Mechs are available now, so should be available to buy in a few weeks I think.

robertbb

by robertbb

ultimobici wrote:
robertbb wrote:
ultimobici wrote:

No news on changes to ergo levers that I have seen. Mechs are available now, so should be available to buy in a few weeks I think.

Amazing, thanks so much for the heads-up! Will wait for them to drop and see what the prices are before pulling the trigger on a Potenza RD. Suspect they will be unjustifiably expensive though.

mag

by mag

ultimobici wrote:...

ultimobici Do you know if it will be possible to put 2018 medium cages on the 2015 RDs (Chorus in my case), or will there be some changes making such combinations impossible?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

mag wrote:
ultimobici wrote:...

ultimobici Do you know if it will be possible to put 2018 medium cages on the 2015 RDs (Chorus in my case), or will there be some changes making such combinations impossible?

Simplest way to tell will be once the spare parts PDF is online. Then you'll be able to check the part numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk