Potenza vs Chorus/Record/SR chainrings

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
robertbb

by robertbb

Hi All,
My uber-carbon "A" bike runs Campy Chorus 2016 mechanical. The time has come to build an alloy "B" bike. I'm looking at a mix of Potenza / Chorus parts. Curious about the difference (if any) in chainring materials between the two. The Chorus crankset is currently about $125 more expensive, but if the chainrings are smoother and longer lasting I might drop the extra cash.
FWIW the other Chorus bits I've gone for are the shifters - only cost me $75 more, but it's ultrashift which I just can't live without.
Cheers all :beerchug:
It's ALL about the bike.

by Weenie

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I'm not sure that the Potenza mechs are compatible with the Chorus/R/SR shifters. Might want to get that checked out first, they may look the same but I recall seeing on the campy compatibility charts that they were not cross compatible. Happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Velocite Selene

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

robertbb

by robertbb

istigatrice wrote:I'm not sure that the Potenza mechs are compatible with the Chorus/R/SR shifters. Might want to get that checked out first, they may look the same but I recall seeing on the campy compatibility charts that they were not cross compatible. Happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong.

Hey mate. Chorus shifters definitely are compatible with the Potenza rear derailleurs. I'm running a Potenza medium cage RD on my good bike (so I can run the 11-32T cog for climbing). Can't see why the Potenza front derailleur wouldn't be compatible... but with a AU$25 difference, I might just go with Chorus for the better cage finish.
It's ALL about the bike.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I might be mistaken - now that you mention it, I've definitely seen people take a Potenza cage and fit that to a C/R/SR rear mech so I guess it makes sense that the whole deal should work.

In terms of your original questions, there are some visual differences with the Chorus and Potenza chainrings. 4 pins for Potenza and 8 pins for Chorus. Not sure if that affects shifting quality though - most reviews seem to suggest not.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Velocite Selene

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

robertbb

by robertbb

istigatrice wrote:I might be mistaken - now that you mention it, I've definitely seen people take a Potenza cage and fit that to a C/R/SR rear mech so I guess it makes sense that the whole deal should work.

In terms of your original questions, there are some visual differences with the Chorus and Potenza chainrings. 4 pins for Potenza and 8 pins for Chorus. Not sure if that affects shifting quality though - most reviews seem to suggest not.

Do you mean they're taking the jockey arms off and fitting them to the C/R/SR body?

Having looked into it more I'm leaning towards Chorus. $125 isn't a whole lot extra for the extra pins, better coating, Ultra Torque and likely stiffer cranks... (I'm SO trying to justify this, lol)
It's ALL about the bike.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

I saw one that Sugarkane had swapped the potenza med cage on to the body of a SR EPS mech on his Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/p/BItof9nhD0r/

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

istigatrice wrote:I'm not sure that the Potenza mechs are compatible with the Chorus/R/SR shifters. Might want to get that checked out first, they may look the same but I recall seeing on the campy compatibility charts that they were not cross compatible. Happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong.

Campy say no because the Potenza RD has a weaker return spring (as it only has to deal with 1 downshift at a time), but in terms of cable pull, as far as I'm aware they're meant to be the same.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

You could also consider Campag's new Centaur 11 speed group.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

ultimobici wrote:You could also consider Campag's new Centaur 11 speed group.

that gruppo lacks the embrace-rear derailleur design, therefore, imho inferior.

not to mention the lack of fine increment cassettes, the ton-heavy chainset and ugly rear derailleur design..

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

vejnemojnen wrote:

not to mention the lack of fine increment cassettes, the ton-heavy chainset and ugly rear derailleur design..

So that eliminates Potenza too. It doesn't have Embrace Technology either.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

ultimobici wrote:
vejnemojnen wrote:

So that eliminates Potenza too. It doesn't have Embrace Technology either.

It has..

LionelB

by LionelB

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:I saw one that Sugarkane had swapped the potenza med cage on to the body of a SR EPS mech on his Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/p/BItof9nhD0r/

Has this been reliable ?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

LionelB wrote:
ALAN Carbon+ wrote:I saw one that Sugarkane had swapped the potenza med cage on to the body of a SR EPS mech on his Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/p/BItof9nhD0r/

Has this been reliable ?

Pointless as it doesn't actually address the issues of running an 11-32 cassette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LionelB

by LionelB

ultimobici wrote:Pointless as it doesn't actually address the issues of running an 11-32 cassette.

Why not ?

by Weenie

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Changing the cage on a pre 2015 mech just allows for a greater difference in chainrings.

I have a Potenza medium cage on a 2015 Record rear mech which does allow the use of a 32t.