Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Posts: 151
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Hi All,
My uber-carbon "A" bike runs Campy Chorus 2016 mechanical. The time has come to build an alloy "B" bike. I'm looking at a mix of Potenza / Chorus parts. Curious about the difference (if any) in chainring materials between the two. The Chorus crankset is currently about $125 more expensive, but if the chainrings are smoother and longer lasting I might drop the extra cash.
FWIW the other Chorus bits I've gone for are the shifters - only cost me $75 more, but it's ultrashift which I just can't live without.
Cheers all :beerchug:

_________________
It's ALL about the bike.


Top
   
Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:44 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 am
Posts: 743
Location: Adelaide, Australia
I'm not sure that the Potenza mechs are compatible with the Chorus/R/SR shifters. Might want to get that checked out first, they may look the same but I recall seeing on the campy compatibility charts that they were not cross compatible. Happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong.

_________________
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Velocite Selene

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Posts: 151
Location: Melbourne, Australia
istigatrice wrote:
I'm not sure that the Potenza mechs are compatible with the Chorus/R/SR shifters. Might want to get that checked out first, they may look the same but I recall seeing on the campy compatibility charts that they were not cross compatible. Happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong.


Hey mate. Chorus shifters definitely are compatible with the Potenza rear derailleurs. I'm running a Potenza medium cage RD on my good bike (so I can run the 11-32T cog for climbing). Can't see why the Potenza front derailleur wouldn't be compatible... but with a AU$25 difference, I might just go with Chorus for the better cage finish.

_________________
It's ALL about the bike.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 8:32 am
Posts: 743
Location: Adelaide, Australia
I might be mistaken - now that you mention it, I've definitely seen people take a Potenza cage and fit that to a C/R/SR rear mech so I guess it makes sense that the whole deal should work.

In terms of your original questions, there are some visual differences with the Chorus and Potenza chainrings. 4 pins for Potenza and 8 pins for Chorus. Not sure if that affects shifting quality though - most reviews seem to suggest not.

_________________
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Velocite Selene

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 am
Posts: 151
Location: Melbourne, Australia
istigatrice wrote:
I might be mistaken - now that you mention it, I've definitely seen people take a Potenza cage and fit that to a C/R/SR rear mech so I guess it makes sense that the whole deal should work.

In terms of your original questions, there are some visual differences with the Chorus and Potenza chainrings. 4 pins for Potenza and 8 pins for Chorus. Not sure if that affects shifting quality though - most reviews seem to suggest not.


Do you mean they're taking the jockey arms off and fitting them to the C/R/SR body?

Having looked into it more I'm leaning towards Chorus. $125 isn't a whole lot extra for the extra pins, better coating, Ultra Torque and likely stiffer cranks... (I'm SO trying to justify this, lol)

_________________
It's ALL about the bike.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:21 am
Posts: 214
Location: Canberra, Australia
I saw one that Sugarkane had swapped the potenza med cage on to the body of a SR EPS mech on his Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/p/BItof9nhD0r/

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:09 am
Posts: 139
istigatrice wrote:
I'm not sure that the Potenza mechs are compatible with the Chorus/R/SR shifters. Might want to get that checked out first, they may look the same but I recall seeing on the campy compatibility charts that they were not cross compatible. Happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong.


Campy say no because the Potenza RD has a weaker return spring (as it only has to deal with 1 downshift at a time), but in terms of cable pull, as far as I'm aware they're meant to be the same.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:15 pm 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Posts: 2981
Location: London, UK
You could also consider Campag's new Centaur 11 speed group.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 pm
Posts: 297
ultimobici wrote:
You could also consider Campag's new Centaur 11 speed group.

that gruppo lacks the embrace-rear derailleur design, therefore, imho inferior.

not to mention the lack of fine increment cassettes, the ton-heavy chainset and ugly rear derailleur design..


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:18 pm 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Posts: 2981
Location: London, UK
vejnemojnen wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
You could also consider Campag's new Centaur 11 speed group.

that gruppo lacks the embrace-rear derailleur design, therefore, imho inferior.

not to mention the lack of fine increment cassettes, the ton-heavy chainset and ugly rear derailleur design..

So that eliminates Potenza too. It doesn't have Embrace Technology either.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 pm
Posts: 297
ultimobici wrote:
vejnemojnen wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
You could also consider Campag's new Centaur 11 speed group.

that gruppo lacks the embrace-rear derailleur design, therefore, imho inferior.

not to mention the lack of fine increment cassettes, the ton-heavy chainset and ugly rear derailleur design..

So that eliminates Potenza too. It doesn't have Embrace Technology either.


It has..


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:09 pm
Posts: 1434
Location: Aix en Provence
ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
I saw one that Sugarkane had swapped the potenza med cage on to the body of a SR EPS mech on his Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/p/BItof9nhD0r/

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Has this been reliable ?


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:58 pm 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Posts: 2981
Location: London, UK
LionelB wrote:
ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
I saw one that Sugarkane had swapped the potenza med cage on to the body of a SR EPS mech on his Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/p/BItof9nhD0r/

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Has this been reliable ?

Pointless as it doesn't actually address the issues of running an 11-32 cassette.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:09 pm
Posts: 1434
Location: Aix en Provence
ultimobici wrote:
Pointless as it doesn't actually address the issues of running an 11-32 cassette.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not ?


Top
   
Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:08 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:26 pm 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:45 pm
Posts: 2981
Location: London, UK
Changing the cage on a pre 2015 mech just allows for a greater difference in chainrings.

I have a Potenza medium cage on a 2015 Record rear mech which does allow the use of a 32t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Chorus vs Potenza

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 4 ]

in Road

Jdrsvin

49

5530

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:42 pm

wingguy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Anyone tried out both Record and Potenza Ergolevers?

in Road

BiaNeutron

6

781

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:54 am

Miller View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Chorus or Record??

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

callumghilton

41

4295

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:45 pm

gewichtweenie View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Record EPS shifters on Chorus EPS interface

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

userfriendly

19

1836

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:39 pm

saverin View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Ultegra Di2-Chorus FPS, Mech Record

in Road

digitalnorbs

0

172

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:19 pm

digitalnorbs View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], benzebub, Bing [Bot], crn, FIJIGabe and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited