Help with correct framesize please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Hello All

I am currently looking at purchasing a Bianchi Oltre XR4 my question is I'm not sure what size frameset
I believe I am a size 57 but someone I cycle with reckons I could ride a 59

I have included my measurements , I believe I would be too stretched on a 59 , I am a sportive rider who averages approx 3 cycles a week with 1 , 150 k at weekends and maybe 2, 75ks midweek if I can
What's your opinion, would greatly appreciate your feedback as I obviously want to get this right

These are my bike measurements , would you recommend a 57 or 59 frame size ?

Functional Height. 188.5 cm
Shoulder Width 41.4 cm
Shoulder Height 156.5 cm
Arm length 70.5 cm
Pelvic bone height 111 cm
Fist height 86 cm
Leg length 88.8 cm

savechief

by savechief

A sportive rider that is 188.5cm tall? No way you should be on a 57 that only has a stack of 557mm. The reach of the 59 is only 3mm longer.

The Oltre XR4 is very much a racing frame with geometry to match.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Hard to say without seeing you on the bike, but judging by your numbers, unless you've got a really long torso or have good hip rotation/flexibility (or all of the above) I'd also suggest a 59 or even a 61 for the stack.

The 59 and 61 aren't much longer than the 57 because the seat tube angle gets slacker (so the longer top tube is 'cancelled' by the slacker seat tube). They've both got higher head tubes which helps with stack. Don't base your bike purchase by what 'size' the bike is (pretty meaningless), base it on the stack and reach.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate your feedback, I'm a little confused , previously I went to a Local Bike Shop who measured me , please see the attached data , they told me at the time that a Size 57 was my Bike Frame size, I believe they based their numbers on the Top Tube Size , currently I ride a Storck Aernario I had a size 57 but felt that I was a bit big for it , I have since sold it , I came across a Size 59 in the same model that was too good a buy to pass , so I purchased , it's early days yet but I do feel I am getting a bit more speed from this bike , the Stem is 110 and I think I may be better suited to 100 , would you be able to comment on the attached numbers and comment ???
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

BRM

by BRM

1] Take your current bike as input.
2] Map to the dimensions + figure out if and what you would like to be different
3] Then you have the blueprint for your perfect bike
4] With this image you can find the right match.

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Hi BRM , sorry but could you explain what u mean here , sorry if I'm a bit thick here on this, it's just I am an Ex Rugby Player who cycles to keep fit and weight off , as with most others our Club Cycles now are quite competitive and I like to partake to the best of my ability, I like everyone else suffer on climbs etc etc but it would help with my mindset knowing I am on the correct size bike and properly fitted

I know it's hard discussing this on a forum page , I presumed the numbers and measurement were correct by my LBS , I'm beginning to have doubts now based on comments here

What are your views , appreciate your comments

istigatrice

by istigatrice

The Storck frames are quite long. If I've read the reach numbers correctly the Oltre XR4 in 57,59 and 61 all have less reach than your 57 and 59 Storck. In other words you can run a longer stem on each of those frames than the Storck. The next consideration would be stack height - if you've got spacers under your stem you may not fit a Bianchi Oltre because they have a low stack height. FWIW a 61 Bianchi is 'most' similar to your 59 Storck in terms of stack.

That's assuming the 59 Storck fits you.

I don't mean to speak for BRM, but I think they mean to map out your effective stack and reach of your current bike (this can be done with an excel spreadsheet: bb2stem stack and reach calculator), consider any changes you would like to make, and when you're buying a new bike buy a bike with geometry that'll let you achieve those changes.

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Hello all I just checked the Storck Website for their Geometry Numbers , they are quoting as follows

Size 57. Stack 574. Reach 406. Top Tube 562. effective Top Tube 576
Size 59 Stack 595. Reach 405 Top Tube 567. Effective Top Tube 581

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Thank you Istigatrice for your comments that spreadsheet sounds superb , would love to get to the bottom of this and get set up right

istigatrice

by istigatrice

no worries. I think from here you can do one of two things:

Find a really good bike fitter who understands your needs. Get fit on the Storck and then use the bb2stem spreadsheet to calculate what frame size and stem you would need to get the same position. I don't mean a shop which can measure you up, I mean a shop which can asses your functionality on the bike. I don't agree with everything Steve Hogg says but I like his general philosophy, and as a starting point you can't go too wrong with Hogg.

OR you can try a 100mm, 110mm and 120mm stem on your Storck. Try swapping some spacers above and below the stem and seeing if it's 'more' comfortable. This will take a long time, I'd recommend riding at least 1 week with each (small) change before making another change (I'd first try lowering and raising the bars with the 110mm stem since that's what you already have). Then use the spreadsheet to see which frame size + stem length you need to get the position you liked the most on your stork

One is obviously less trouble than the other, but with enough patience and a bit of self awareness they should get you to the same spot.

Tucker13

by Tucker13

Thank u Istigatrice and other contributors , I do appreciate your feedback, think I will take your advice and find a Proper Bike Fitting Service locally ,who will review my current set up and suggest the best set up for my ability

Thank u all

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com