Help me find shoes that fit!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I am having a hard time finding shoes that fit, and need help with recommendations / how to deal with this.

My feet are a bit weird, I think, in that the big toe is pretty large and long, and my smaller toes taper sharply away from this toe. Each toe is long as well, with the first metatarsophalangeal joint therefore being set quite far back, relative to the overall length of my foot.

Here is an outline of my foot I just took...

The width is 96mm (forgot to put that on the image).

Given this, when I try a shoe that is big enough to give me space in front of my big toe, the rest of my toes have loads of space in front of them. Shoes which don't have this excessive amount of space in front of the smaller toes is always too small for my big toe, with that hitting the end.

So, does anyone else have similar feet, and if so, have you found any good shoes which suit this kind of shape? S Works 5 were OK, but on close analysis they are not perfect. S Works 6 toe box doesn't work at all (but the heel is perfect for me). I have tried Shimano RC9, and they seem ok-ish, but not perfect.

Appreciate any help I can get on this, as it is making me lose first world sleep.

sungod

by sungod

have a look at bont, they are shaped differently, i tried many shoes over the years, pre-6 s-works were the best i'd found, but bont vaypor s are even better fit for me

if you haven't got a local dealer, you can get size correct by measuring, it's important to follow bont's instructions and use the size guide for the exact model of shoe as they differ

bear in mind you may need to heat mould them to best fit for heel and sides

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Nice one, will have a look at those.

Heat Molding; do you need to go to a dealer for that?

ab01ns

by ab01ns

Heat molding can be done at home. Source: I work for a former bont dealer. We heat them in a toaster oven

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

ab01ns wrote:Heat molding can be done at home. Source: I work for a former bont dealer. We heat them in a toaster oven

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Haha, I'll just do that then. Literally nothing can go wrong.

sungod

by sungod

the instructions say oven, but i use a heatgun (set to about 100c) as then i can work on one area and also can leave the cleats on

there's a whole bont thread, i gave some details there, also lots of people posting experience/opinion on different shoes...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36516&hilit=bont&start=1485#p1267140

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

Just posting to say I love that you drew in your toenails. Great attention to detail.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

When you say "toe box doesn't work at all", what do you mean by that? Have you tried S-Works 6 wide version? As far as I know no LBS carry them. Special order only.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The Shimano R078 I used to wear come both in "L" and "W" versions. (long/wide)

Have a look at shimano L shoes then. The model number is xxxxxL in my example R078L size 43.

/a

hannawald

by hannawald

alcatraz wrote:The Shimano R078 I used to wear come both in "L" and "W" versions. (long/wide)

Have a look at shimano L shoes then. The model number is xxxxxL in my example R078L size 43.

/a

unless they havent changed it L means black and W white. They do wide versions, marked with E.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

hannawald wrote:unless they havent changed it L means black and W white. They do wide versions, marked with E.

Haha, is it really? Wow.. Samsonite! I was way off.

BRM

by BRM

Weird Alien Pink feet . . . . Which planet is that? :lol: :P :wink:

When your budget allows it, you maybe best can look to custom made shoes.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cu ... 5969451784

Prices are high for custom.
Other option: Maybe you can find a shoemaker that can make orthopedic changes to (not too much off) generic shoes?

Look if there is, in what ever way, room in your Health Insurance that covers (partly) costs of orthopedic material/changes.

amtn1212

by amtn1212

Have you checked Lintaman? I have never tried them myself, but a friend really liked them because they have toe box adjustability.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Your feet seem similar to mine. I'm using specialized audax and have been very happy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

sungod wrote:have a look at bont, they are shaped differently

Bonts definitely have a different shaped toe box from the average, but they might be even worse in regard to his foot shape. Bonts toebox is more blunt and square than the more pointed toes that are typical in most euro shoes. What this guy seems to need is a pointed toe, but with the tip of the point located on the inside edge of the shoe, rather than more toward the center of the shoe as on most models.

Having said all of that, to the OP, when wearing shoes that are sized properly for your big toe, does having extra space over the 2nd-5th toes create any sort of functional problem? Extra toe space on cycling shoes doesn't seem like it is much of an issue to me as the security of the foot is usually achieved with the closure and heelcup, so you could have 1mm or 10mm in front of the toes and it doesn't seem like it matters much.