Chris King R45 Campagnolo hub problem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

Record 11 speed pre 2015 gears work perfectly except the chain jumps when in the highest gear (50-11). It doesn't do it on the workstand and even under load it's intermittent. Ive tried two cassettes and the mech hanger is aligned. Ive not had a problem on a another R45 hub in the past.

androidavies

by androidavies

Definitely got the 11t lockring, and not the 12t one? The 12t one works, but will lift the chain up off the teeth and cause it to jump in use…..
Hopefully it's this simple!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Only other thing I could think of is that maybe the high limit screw isn't backed off far enough, limiting how far the derailleur can move outward and perhaps it's not quite enough, causing the chain to want to "almost" pick up on the 2nd cog sometimes. That, or a cable that is too tight and in effect doing the same thing, limiting the range of the derailleur. And along the lines of cable tension... make sure nothing is binding or causing unnecessary friction (tight bends, internal routing squeezing things a bit too much, or a rear derailleur loop that is too short or all gunked up inside, limiting how easily the derailleur can settle into it's least tensioned position. In any case, can't see it really being a hub problem and suspect it's more of an adjustment issue.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

2lo8

by 2lo8

It's less likely but not impossible for a limit screw backed too far out to also cause the chain to climb teeth.

When working on the stand, there's very little load on the wheel, just working against bearing friction and inertia, so skipping isn't very noticeable, but if you pay attention and spin the cranks slowly, you might be able to see a link climbing a cassette tooth then falling. That will be more noticeable when riding.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

wilwil

by wilwil

The mech alignment with the limit screw is good. I already checked the lock ring and its 11T. Cables are all new and its a Pegoretti with clean external routing and has always been the best for gear function due to its stiffness. I wonder if the mech needs the lower spring tightening? I will try another wheel next. I don't normally use them but could a Quink Link be the cause? This would explain why its intermittent.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

could a Quick Link be the cause?

If it's Wipperman and installed upside down - then yes. Other links are non-directional.

Or a stiff link/faulty pin installation.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

wilwil wrote:The mech alignment with the limit screw is good. I already checked the lock ring and its 11T. Cables are all new and its a Pegoretti with clean external routing and has always been the best for gear function due to its stiffness. I wonder if the mech needs the lower spring tightening? I will try another wheel next. I don't normally use them but could a Quink Link be the cause? This would explain why its intermittent.

If it's a Connex quick link, do you have it on the right way round? The smooth edges should interact with the chain, with the more abrupt edged side should be on the outside.

wilwil

by wilwil

Turns out to be the chain. Im not sure why as all the links seem fluid enough. I changed the chain also using a KMC Missing Link and the problem has gone. Neither chain is brand new but both are hardly used. This is after trying a Campag wheel and a different mech which made no difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com