LOOK bikes quality (?)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

I'm considering another (N+1) frame ( 695) but had mixed info about quality of it, specially paint. Idea is to buy 695 ZR version to avoid as much as possible Look's "integration" ( slipping stem & creaking bb65/Zed ), but thing which is worrying me is paint quality.
However all paint/finish issues are adressed to 695 ( at least internet says so ) , I'm considering 675 as well ( that would make my life bit easier ; no need to change bike travel bag from Evoc to some accepting ISP ).

So, I'm asking for real life experience ...
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I had a 695 (not ZR).. no paint issues... Stem never slipped and no creaking BB either.... I could probably live without the stem, but I did like the integrated cranks.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ico

by ico

I can't speak for newer models, but I'm six years on my 595 and is still going strong, unlike my collarbone last week. Quality is top-notch I would say. The only issue I ever had with this frame was with the rear derailleur hanger, a bit soft.

Delorre

by Delorre

On French forums, there are a lot of complaints regarding paint issues with various models, incl 795.

madonna

by madonna

This is a special bike. You will sure attract lots of attentions while in the group ride. The stem, seat post, headset and crank are proprietary. If you are dialed in with the fitting of this bike then you are ok with it.

slick1

by slick1

what the above said.

Mine has done around 15,000km and still no issues with stem, seatpost or cranks.

I had a proper bike fit when I bought it and has been perfect ever since.

No issues with the paint or clearcoat or whatever is on it.

stormur

by stormur

Delorre wrote:On French forums, there are a lot of complaints regarding paint issues with various models, incl 795.

link ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Delorre

by Delorre

stormur wrote:
Delorre wrote:On French forums, there are a lot of complaints regarding paint issues with various models, incl 795.

link ?

Sorry, that's what i have in mind after an evening spend on those forums when I was after a new frame some time ago. Don't remember the topics, but it was on both velo101.com and Velocipedesalon.com, maybe also a third one.

choiboi

by choiboi

What power meter options can you go with those look zee cranks?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
David
[b]'10 CANNONDALE CAAD10

slick1

by slick1

I have the Garmin Vector. They work prefect

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

ico wrote:I can't speak for newer models, but I'm six years on my 595 and is still going strong, unlike my collarbone last week. Quality is top-notch I would say. The only issue I ever had with this frame was with the rear derailleur hanger, a bit soft.

Exact same experience here - once the 595 had some initial QC bugs worked out when it was first introduced to mkt
It only hurts if you think.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The bb does not creak any more tub glue has sorted all problem. Better than loctite for fixing bearings. The paint on the 795 i have is fine.

Stems dont slip. They can slip if you install then incorrectly and mash the splines a bit.

While Mine has not been problem free, but since i have found a simple solution look could just update there installation instructions and ship tub glue instead of loctite with the bike. Given my look is within spec the issue is more me and the way i ride. Go for the look, they are lovely to ride.

I also use garmin vectors.

I use this bike for races and 200mile rides. I'll to the 24hr tt on it in july. Its bloody perfect now the bb works.

I have done my collar bone too three weeks ago though. Bloody annoying.

53x12

by 53x12

ico wrote:I can't speak for newer models, but I'm six years on my 595 and is still going strong, unlike my collarbone last week. Quality is top-notch I would say. The only issue I ever had with this frame was with the rear derailleur hanger, a bit soft.

The 585 and 595 were the last great frames Look made. They should never have abandoned the carbon lugged frames. They were great and would have created a niche market for Look while everyone else went monocoque. Now Look is another one fighting to be relevant in a saturated market.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

gotgame

by gotgame

i had a look 595 several years ago and was one of my favorite bikes ever. great quality and some neat technology integration ( rubber in seatpost, etc) i have ridden it one summer and never had problems with it.

be carreful, on the market are several chinese fake frames!!!
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nismosr

by nismosr

I've had the Norway Flag Edition 695 and I must say the paint quality is impeccable compared to some other frameset I've ever had.

ImageUntitled by nismosr, on Flickr
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante